PDA

View Full Version : What are others doing with their G5 Tower?

Lancer
Mar 27, 2013, 03:14 AM
I've got a new iMac and just managed to upgrade the last of my software for web design (GoLive to Dreamweaver) so I don't have a need for my G5 tower.

I'm not sure if it's worth selling. A few years back I sold my G4 on eBay years after upgrading to the G5, the G4 sat in it's box under my desk for years.

The only thing I can think of doing with it is to import video of a VCR for editing, save to a USB3 HDD and then use the iMac for editing.

Just wondering what others are doing once they upgrade to something newer?

ihuman:D
Mar 27, 2013, 09:04 AM
Well, I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 and I "upgraded" to a Powerbook G4 Hi-Res. The Dell was used by my brother but then I got an iMac so my Dell desktop was free to use and he uses that for gaming and internet use. I used the Dell laptop to try out Windows 8 and Ubuntu but now it just stays in a drawer unless my cousins come up and want to use it.

fleabite
Mar 27, 2013, 09:18 AM
It's not nearly as good a cheese grater as I was lead to believe :(

Altemose
Mar 27, 2013, 05:32 PM
Sure it may be retired, but still it is a powerful Mac in terms of what version it runs!

My PowerMac G5 runs as my daily driver with 2* 1TB WD Caviar Blues, 2GB of RAM, and a Radeon 9600XT driving a HP 20" widescreen and an ADC Studio Display.

I do have Leopard on here using BDAqua's ML theme, and it runs all of the software from its generation beautifully.

In your case I can see why you upgrade, but people seem to think my G5 is less than capable of my job as a video editor. It seems once YouTube runs slow, the computer is useless and is not good for anything. It makes me sick!

Good to see you are trying to find a use for your G5, what a fantastic Mac!

666sheep
Mar 27, 2013, 05:52 PM
I sold all my G5s and I won't certainly get one anymore. I've found them boring.
G4s and G3s FTW ;)

Goftrey
Mar 27, 2013, 06:54 PM
I sold all my G5s and I won't certainly get one anymore. I've found them boring.
G4s and G3s FTW ;)

:eek: My dualie G5 had more character than a quaint 12th century cottage in the middle of Oxford!

jwjsr
Mar 28, 2013, 07:54 AM
My g5ppc w/Adc 23"cinema display sits beside my 2012 Mac mini with TB display. Since the ADC Cinema Display cannot be used as a second monitor on the 2012 mini I found a program called synology that allows me to control both computers with the same keyboard/mouse. To get it to work I had to install synology KM version on the g5 PPC running 10.5.8 and the regular synology version on the mini.

jpcoelho
Mar 28, 2013, 08:20 AM
Since the ADC Cinema Display cannot be used as a second monitor on the 2012 mini

You can, with the Apple ADC->DVI adapter and the HDMI ->DVI adapter that came with your Mini... it will not be cheap though, if you do not already own the adapter!

jwjsr
Mar 28, 2013, 08:46 AM
You can, with the Apple ADC->DVI adapter and the HDMI ->DVI adapter that came with your Mini... it will not be cheap though, if you do not already own the adapter!

Is this new news? As recently as December people in the know on this forum went deep into apples technical department and got a "no" for "ADC" cinema to 2012 mini and maybe other late 2012 machines as well. The consensus then was 2011 and earlier would work with the adapter you mention but not 2012's.

jpcoelho
Mar 28, 2013, 09:16 AM
Is this new news? As recently as December people in the know on this forum went deep into apples technical department and got a "no" for "ADC" cinema to 2012 mini and maybe other late 2012 machines as well. The consensus then was 2011 and earlier would work with the adapter you mention but not 2012's.

Sorry for the misinformation, I was not aware of different behaviour between the 2011 and 2012 Mac Mini... my experience is with a 2011 version.

nickjf20
Mar 28, 2013, 05:49 PM
chop chop chop chop

The hardware's too old and power hungry to be useful - turn it into a beautiful Windows station or a hackintosh :)

http://mineos.phant0m.net/Things/PowerMac_i7.html

PowerPCMacMan
Mar 28, 2013, 06:28 PM
What strange ALIEN language is that on the website? Looks like alien or klingon to me.

chop chop chop chop

The hardware's too old and power hungry to be useful - turn it into a beautiful Windows station or a hackintosh :)

http://mineos.phant0m.net/Things/PowerMac_i7.html

Lancer
Mar 29, 2013, 07:27 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

I wasn't looking at taking the G5 apart but I might give it a good clean out now I have a new main computer. I was tossing up between finding a job for it or selling it on eBay.

I used to have a G4 which original came with a 400Mhz CPU, it eventually ended up with a 1.6Ghz, 2x 120Gb HDDs, SuperDrive, USB2 card and 1.5Gb of RAM. It's a shame the G5 is less upgradeable without turning it into a Hackintosh.

CIA
Mar 29, 2013, 07:59 PM
I brought my old dual 1.8 to work, and now it's used as a recording machine for voice over work. It has one task, and it does it just fine, so it will live out it's days doing that until it finally blows up for whatever reason.

Zeke D
Apr 1, 2013, 07:45 PM
I mainly use my G5 for storing my iTunes library and backups for all my iDevices. I also have several PowerPC game installed on it. Finally I use I for garage band, final cut, and adobe suite.

Lil Chillbil
Apr 1, 2013, 10:38 PM
I use it to edit video and as a fileserver

ickystay
Apr 1, 2013, 11:38 PM
Mine is waiting in the wings until I get fed up with my imac G5. Heh, it will be my upgrade!

Yes, so sad.

Lil Chillbil
Apr 1, 2013, 11:53 PM
Mine is waiting in the wings until I get fed up with my imac G5. Heh, it will be my upgrade!

Yes, so sad.

Why not just buy, a imac intel, I got mine for $125

Frost7
Apr 2, 2013, 12:22 AM
I actually still use my Quad daily as my primary workstation. It had the unfortunate fate of being so powerful that it's still totally usable and fast 8 years later, beating my '08 MBP at many tasks, but Apple cut off PowerPC support in the OS, and thus developers started dropping it too. :(

Although there are some awesome exceptions, like the Rapidweaver folks who keep doggedly supporting those of us who build stuff on our PowerMacs. Much love to them.

Unless you need a brand new piece of software, it's completely functional. I throw a lot at it and even so it's rare that I've got all four cores running flat out.

That said, if you've got something newer and you don't have any emotional attachment to it or any need to run PowerPC software, you might as well just let it go to someone else who might have a good use for it. For the amount of electricity a G5 pulls, you're blowing money on power if you just use it as a media server or working on text documents something. Sell it and get an older Mac mini for that.

Lancer
Apr 2, 2013, 04:57 AM
I agree using the G5 (or early MacPro) as a media server is a waste of power and the noisy fans make it almost useless for the task. But on top of that there is also the capacity of HDDs. I already have 10Tb (5x 2Tb) HDDs attached to my iMac through a USB Hub, There is no way to cram that into a G5 and pointless doing it via USB.

The main reason I was holding on to the G5 was for Adobe GoLive and my website but I've since made the switch to Dreamweaver which was a lot easier than I thought but still learning how to do things new that I've done for years with GoLive.

I was considering adding SSD but maybe that money would be better off going to another project?

As I said in the opening post the only thing I can think of using the G5 for is importing video from VHS on to a USB2/3 drive, then attaching that to my new iMac and use iMovie to work on it. Would SSD help this task on the G5.

My iMac has Fusion.

Jethryn Freyman
Apr 2, 2013, 05:23 AM
When all the stars align just right, I'm swapping it out for a Mac Pro 3,1, with Snow Leopard and 8 cores.

Lancer
Apr 2, 2013, 06:32 AM
If I had the money I'd look at getting a Mini to replace the G5 but that kinda defeats the point of using what I have or selling it off to someone who can make good use of it.

What are early 2005 G5 towers with dual 2Ghz going for now?

jwjsr
Apr 2, 2013, 06:58 AM
If I had the money I'd look at getting a Mini to replace the G5 but that kinda defeats the point of using what I have or selling it off to someone who can make good use of it.

What are early 2005 G5 towers with dual 2Ghz going for now?

This shows the price has not been updated since August

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/specs/powermac_g5_2.0_dp_2.html

Zeke D
Apr 2, 2013, 09:51 AM
It had the unfortunate fate of being so powerful that it's still totally usable and fast 8 years later...

That was one of the reason Jagex pissed me off. When they required java 6, I had a machine that was as powerful as any windows machine you could purchase, but couldn't do runescape or even facebook.

Both my G5s get regular usage.

Nameci
Apr 2, 2013, 10:28 AM
My Quad Powermac is more than enough to be my daily driver.

emails, web browsing, CAD work, Illustrator, Photoshop work, a little of garage band, a little of final cut/imovie, video edits and conversion, watching movies, itunes, chat over skype or skype call, facebook, word documents, spread sheets, almost anything that you can throw at it...

unfortunately no gaming here...

ickystay
Apr 2, 2013, 03:17 PM
Why not just buy, a imac intel, I got mine for $125

The only imacs I've seen in that price range are the ones with bad lcds. That is the route I'll go when I run into something that I can't do on a PPC (throw one under a desk and use an external monitor).

So far, I'm OK with my old macs to run my old software.

GermanyChris
Apr 2, 2013, 04:29 PM
Why don't you just keep it, it doesn't cost you anything and selling will likely gain you very little.

Mostly you never know when you might need a back up.

Lancer
Apr 2, 2013, 05:12 PM
Why don't you just keep it, it doesn't cost you anything and selling will likely gain you very little.

Mostly you never know when you might need a back up.

This is why I kept my G4 Tower for years after getting the G5, but the reality is I never used it. The only time I used it was just before I sold it on eBay and amazingly it still worked 10 years after it was built. It was SLOW but I was able to re-install Tiger for the buyer.

And right now I feel the same thing will happen with my G5, it already feels slow compared to my new iMac, even my mums 2011 15" MBP feels so slow compared to this beast.

So right now if I can't find a use then I might list it on eBay in the coming months.

Lil Chillbil
Apr 2, 2013, 10:17 PM
The only imacs I've seen in that price range are the ones with bad lcds. That is the route I'll go when I run into something that I can't do on a PPC (throw one under a desk and use an external monitor).

So far, I'm OK with my old macs to run my old software.

Thats actually the setup I have in my room, its a 17 inch with lines going down it that I simply slammed under a desk running a 23inch cinema display beautifully. Served me well enough to run a small special ocasion film company from it and save up to get my current pro. All i'm saying is that you have no idea how much your missing if you are still using powerpc.

Even Gotfrey for gods sake went intel 6 months ago, I did 5 months ago and we both made threads such as "I am sticking with powerpc for as long as I can who with me" and "post your PowerPC setup"

InuNacho
Apr 2, 2013, 10:58 PM
That was one of the reason Jagex pissed me off. When they required java 6, I had a machine that was as powerful as any windows machine you could purchase, but couldn't do runescape or even facebook.

Both my G5s get regular usage.

When was this, my Sawtooth was runnin RS albeit a bit choppy until 08 when I switched to Intel.

Goftrey
Apr 3, 2013, 10:30 AM
Even Gotfrey for gods sake went intel 6 months ago

It was purely a case of money. I had the cash so I went Intel. If the G5 does what you need it to do then there's no need to upgrade.

Lil Chillbil
Apr 3, 2013, 10:38 AM
It was purely a case of money. I had the cash so I went Intel. If the G5 does what you need it to do then there's no need to upgrade.

I have a recording of you saying that you had a choice between a g5 quad and a imac c2d and you chose the c2d because you wanted compatibility :p

Apple fanboy
Apr 3, 2013, 10:45 AM
Some guy on here striped his out and put in a UPS and used it as a power lead tidy. Maybe yours isn't that bad, but kinda looked neat.

Goftrey
Apr 3, 2013, 11:02 AM
you had a choice between a g5 quad and a imac c2d and you chose the c2d because you wanted compatibility

Scenario; You have 300 to spend on a machine. You can pick up a 9 year old tower, which is powered with obsolete hardware that can only run an operating system that came out 6 years ago & has been completely unsupported for 3. You can also pick up a 5 year old, sleek all-in-one desktop that is powered by current hardware, runs a supported operating system & also gives the opportunity to run Windows natively (which is a feature I need). If you have the money the sensible option is to go with the option that gives you the most productivity. In my case it was the iMac. However, someone could quite happily go out, buy a quad-core G5 & live with it well in to the future because they don't care about 'iToys', or being able to run the latest version of Final Cut but care more about have a 2tb scratch disc, along with a nice boot-drive SSD or having 16GB RAM over the mere 3GB you can put in the iMacs.

Lil Chillbil
Apr 3, 2013, 11:04 AM
Scenario; You have 300 to spend on a machine. You can pick up a 9 year old tower, which is powered with obsolete hardware that can only run an operating system that came out 6 years ago & has been completely unsupported for 3. You can also pick up a 5 year old, sleek all-in-one desktop that is powered by current hardware, runs a supported operating system & also gives the opportunity to run Windows natively (which is a feature I need). If you have the money the sensible option is to go with the option that gives you the most productivity. In my case it was the iMac. However, someone could quite happily go out, buy a quad-core G5 & live with it well in to the future because they don't care about 'iToys', or being able to run the latest version of Final Cut but care more about have a 2tb scratch disc, along with a nice boot-drive SSD or having 16GB RAM over the mere 3GB you can put in the iMacs.

Scenario: Guy in Wales takes a guy in Cali wayyyy to seriously ;)

Nameci
Apr 3, 2013, 12:06 PM

That is what I am into why I sticked it out with my powermac quad. There is no need for me to go up the OS version number. The applications I use are still relevant and does its job well to meet my computing needs. I don't game and presently, I don't need Windows in my life.

I have a late 2009 C2D mini with max out RAM to 8GB doing nothing in my bedroom, while my PM quad does everything that I need to do.

I am updating my iPhone over the air and backing up thru icloud, there is no need for me to sync it with latest iTunes whatever it is.

I guess i did not miss anything with the latest and the greatest.

Zeke D
Apr 3, 2013, 08:42 PM
When was this, my Sawtooth was runnin RS albeit a bit choppy until 08 when I switched to Intel.

I'm thinking 09 or 10.

Starfighter
Apr 4, 2013, 12:36 AM
One of my G5's is stored safely in my wardrobe (who needs clothes anyway?) until I need it, the other one still stands under my desk but unplugged for the time being. So the answer to the question is: not much. But nothing is set in stone.

GermanyChris
Apr 4, 2013, 03:21 AM
I don't think I'd trade a quad for any pre 2011 iMac. I most assuredly wouldn't trade for a C2D iMac

jpcoelho
Apr 6, 2013, 05:28 PM
Sorry for the misinformation, I was not aware of different behaviour between the 2011 and 2012 Mac Mini... my experience is with a 2011 version.

Are the Mac mini 2012 and Macbook Pro 2012 Thunderbolt specs different in some way?
I have just successfully connected a Mid-2012 13' Macbook Pro to an Apple ADC Studio Display, with an Apple ADC->DVI adapter and a DVI-> MiniDisplay Port adapter... if the specs for the Mini are the same, it must be possible to connect the old plexiglas cinema displays to current Mac Minis!

Intell
Apr 6, 2013, 05:36 PM
Are the Mac mini 2012 and Macbook Pro 2012 Thunderbolt specs different in some way?
I have just successfully connected a Mid-2012 13' Macbook Pro to an Apple ADC Studio Display, with an Apple ADC->DVI adapter and a DVI-> MiniDisplay Port adapter... if the specs for the Mini are the same, it must be possible to connect the old plexiglas cinema displays to current Mac Minis!

The 2012 Mini's do not work with the older acrylic ADC displays. There have been a few threads about that on here, all with the same result.

jpcoelho
Apr 6, 2013, 05:45 PM
The 2012 Mini's do not work with the older acrylic ADC displays. There have been a few threads about that on here, all with the same result.

Ok, thanks for the info... but are you aware of any difference between the Mini and the MBPro that explains the difference?

jwjsr
Apr 6, 2013, 08:06 PM
Ok, thanks for the info... but are you aware of any difference between the Mini and the MBPro that explains the difference?http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1476249