Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
Hi,

It's been a while since I have this problem but only youtube is affected.

When I jump forward to already buffered part of the video it reloads from the scratch. The same happens if I jump backwards to the part that I've just played. It's very annoying for long 720p and 1080p when your connection isn't perfect.
The same problem occurs in Safari, Firefox and Opera.

Does anyone have the same issues?

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
I think this is related to the automatic bitrate change. Some Videos are not "chunked" in proper pieces. So every time the bitrate changes, the video reloads.

I have no idea why this happens, if the videos are older and not re-encoded, or it's related to bandwidth detection on YT's side.

I have seen from my HTTP proxy logs that switches occur based on average download speeds of the chunks requested.

(This is only a guess, as you might notice ...)

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
I think this is related to the automatic bitrate change. Some Videos are not "chunked" in proper pieces. So every time the bitrate changes, the video reloads.

I have no idea why this happens, if the videos are older and not re-encoded, or it's related to bandwidth detection on YT's side.

I have seen from my HTTP proxy logs that switches occur based on average download speeds of the chunks requested.

(This is only a guess, as you might notice ...)

Hmmm......

:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.