PDA

View Full Version : Gmail for iOS Updated with Ability to Swipe Between Messages

MacRumors
Mar 27, 2013, 01:12 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/27/gmail-for-ios-updated-with-ability-to-swipe-between-messages/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/03/gmailicon.jpgGoogle has updated its Gmail app to version 2.1, adding swipe controls that allow users to navigate backwards and forwards through emails without returning to the inbox.

Edit mode is now initiated when a message in the inbox is selected, allowing users to quickly organize emails into folders and add labels from the action bar at the top of the screen.-Swipe left or right to move between messages without returning to the inbox.

-Take action on multiple messages more quickly: Selecting a message in the inbox now enables edit mode. Once in edit mode, tap on messages to select them and then choose to archive, delete, or more, from the new actions bar. You may select Cancel at any time to leave edit mode.

-And of course: performance improvements and bug fixes.Gmail (http://appshopper.com/productivity/gmail) is a free app that can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gmail-email-from-google/id422689480?mt=8)]

Article Link: Gmail for iOS Updated with Ability to Swipe Between Messages (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/27/gmail-for-ios-updated-with-ability-to-swipe-between-messages/)

HMI
Mar 27, 2013, 01:15 PM
Nice features!

I'm still not using Google!

impulse462
Mar 27, 2013, 01:21 PM
GMail 2.0+ is actually a solid email client; however I use mailbox now.

shelt
Mar 27, 2013, 01:21 PM
How about scalable fonts? It's been a big ask since the beginning. Not everyone has the vision of a 21 year old!

chuges
Mar 27, 2013, 01:26 PM
I like that it's push gmail but HATE the fact that it takes 10 seconds to open the app/any email..

Rocco83
Mar 27, 2013, 01:27 PM
How about scalable fonts? It's been a big ask since the beginning. Not everyone has the vision of a 21 year old!

Who are you kidding. 21 year olds have terrible vision. You are finally old enough to go to bars. I will take my vision now over the year I had near permanent beer goggle vision.

pnoyblazed
Mar 27, 2013, 01:27 PM
built in gchat?

DCstewieG
Mar 27, 2013, 01:31 PM
I just can't get over the 2 seconds it takes to load the app if it hasn't been used recently. Sounds ridiculous but what can I say, I'm spoiled. And yes I know this is an unfair advantage for Mail.app being built in.

segers909
Mar 27, 2013, 01:31 PM
Just tested: the incorrect badge counter is fixed!

BMcCoy
Mar 27, 2013, 01:34 PM
feels snappier to me, too.....

gforce216
Mar 27, 2013, 01:40 PM
Just tested: the incorrect badge counter is fixed!

Guess I'm going back to the Gmail app then!

C DM
Mar 27, 2013, 01:46 PM
Just tested: the incorrect badge counter is fixed!What was this all about?

ArtOfWarfare
Mar 27, 2013, 01:59 PM
It supports 3 out of 4 of my email accounts, but unfortunately one of my email accounts is from comcast and I can't just stop using it... here's hoping Apple adds (at least) swipe between messages in iOS 7 Mail!

nazaar
Mar 27, 2013, 02:53 PM
Nice features... Please take some notes here Apple. Swipe between mail messages - not a first, but just seems like common sense Apple.

Westside guy
Mar 27, 2013, 03:16 PM
Hmm... this is not working for me. I did update, then make sure the running app was killed... have any of you actually done the swipe to get to next/previous message?

ugahairydawgs
Mar 27, 2013, 03:31 PM
Hmm... this is not working for me. I did update, then make sure the running app was killed... have any of you actually done the swipe to get to next/previous message?

Yeah....works fine. Make sure you start swiping from the edge of the screen.

madman365
Mar 27, 2013, 03:39 PM
Is this ever gonna be possible?
I mean, gMail on the iPhone is dead to me if it can't open attachments in other apps.

Anybody got any suggestions on how to do that?

Jon

JAT
Mar 27, 2013, 04:07 PM
Nice features... Please take some notes here Apple. Swipe between mail messages - not a first, but just seems like common sense Apple.

What's wrong with the arrows in Mail?
Did Gmail app really not have any way to do this before?

nazaar
Mar 27, 2013, 04:23 PM
What's wrong with the arrows in Mail?
Did Gmail app really not have any way to do this before?

It did, but this is just a nice feature... more intuitive IMO.

a0me
Mar 27, 2013, 06:24 PM
I just can't get over the 2 seconds it takes to load the app if it hasn't been used recently. Sounds ridiculous but what can I say, I'm spoiled. And yes I know this is an unfair advantage for Mail.app being built in.
It sometimes take over 10 seconds just to get to your inbox; Gmail version 1.x used to load up way faster.
I still use the app to send and tag emails, but if I only want to quickly check my inbox, I just use Mail.app.

Westside guy
Mar 27, 2013, 07:08 PM
Yeah....works fine. Make sure you start swiping from the edge of the screen.

Interesting - it works with my iPhone 3GS but not my iPad Mini.

While the iPad Gmail display is somewhat different than on the iPhone, I'd still think it would be a useful feature.

AlecEdworthy
Mar 28, 2013, 02:26 AM
Interesting - it works with my iPhone 3GS but not my iPad Mini.
Same here. As you can't hide the message list on the iPad I guess they didn't see it as important. Hiding the message list to get full screen email, particularly in portrait mode, is my biggest wish with the Gmail app at the moment.

Alec

interconnect
Mar 28, 2013, 08:53 AM
Is it just or me does it actually seem to be a bit faster than before?

Also, anyone know why sometimes the account photo is not displayed, despite it being set?

numidian
Mar 28, 2013, 10:48 AM
I like the app, but in landscape mode the keyboard takes up almost all the real estate. It's a bit difficult to actually write an email this way.

talk
Mar 31, 2013, 09:30 AM
I am not going to be one of those that says that gmail for ios should incorprate mailbox features. However, these are the features that I need most:

1. Unified inbox
2. easily add contact from an email.
3. Share links when you open them in the inside browser.
4. Open attachments in 3rd party apps
5. it's annoying that even the contacts are segregated between the email accounts, meaning that auto complete in email account1 only shows contacts of account1.