PDA

View Full Version : Halo 2 for Mac/PC Petition!

G5Unit
Oct 21, 2005, 12:07 AM
http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/Halo2Petition

C'mon people! We need this! Imagine how fun Halo 2 would be on a Mac!

Phat_Pat
Oct 21, 2005, 12:34 AM
PC- Possibly

Mac- No

Why- Halo 2 used havock.

just buy it on xbox :rolleyes:

combatcolin
Oct 21, 2005, 03:38 AM
When you realise that Mcorosoft want the Master Cheif to be their Mario you also realise that Halo will be an xBox exclusive for a v e r y long time.

Chaszmyr
Oct 21, 2005, 03:41 AM
When you realise that Mcorosoft want the Master Cheif to be their Mario you also realise that Halo will be an xBox exclusive for a v e r y long time.

And perhaps you will realize that while Halo 2 is xbox exclusive, Halo is not.

sparky76
Oct 21, 2005, 04:51 AM
And maybe also remember Halo is great and Halo 2 is rubbish

Nermal
Oct 21, 2005, 05:16 AM
Why- Halo 2 used havock.

I've seen the Havok argument several times but I don't see why it's a problem. Why can't they just take out Havok and replace it with something else?

combatcolin
Oct 21, 2005, 05:45 AM
And perhaps you will realize that while Halo 2 is xbox exclusive, Halo is not.

Eh?

Anyway, Halo is Microsofts "big beast" now and there is little chance of it being released for any other formats.

And anyway, G5Unit, a 2nd hand xBox, Halo 2 and 3 more joypads costs about the same as a Nano.

Oh, Scart/Component cable a must.

ijimk
Oct 21, 2005, 06:02 AM
Eh?

Anyway, Halo is Microsofts "big beast" now and there is little chance of it being released for any other formats.

And anyway, G5Unit, a 2nd hand xBox, Halo 2 and 3 more joypads costs about the same as a Nano.

Oh, Scart/Component cable a must.

That scart cable , will it hook into an apple display with that?
:confused:

MacDawg
Oct 21, 2005, 06:43 AM
These petition posts are becoming epidemic.
Anybody seen one get results? Just asking.

Woof, Woof Dawg http://homepage.mac.com/k.j.vinson/pawprint.gif

takao
Oct 21, 2005, 07:20 AM
i don't see any further HALO PC ports at all... the first one wasn't that popular and those who bought it were rather dissapointed

sure it might be a good console shooter but the PC world is ego-shooter country

Dont Hurt Me
Oct 21, 2005, 07:30 AM
The game never allowed full use of the keyboard, the Mac version was loaded with oddities and it suffered from console-itis. With X3,Far Cry,Quake4,FEAR,HL2,Call of Duty2,..................whats halo2?

dmw007
Oct 21, 2005, 07:40 AM
http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/Halo2Petition

C'mon people! We need this! Imagine how fun Halo 2 would be on a Mac!

Well, I would love to see Halo 2 ported over for Mac (even though I have it for my Xbox).

G5Unit
Oct 21, 2005, 09:13 AM
I HATE console gaming that;s why I don't want to buy an XBOX. I have an X800XT and I want to use it. The res sucks on Xbox, and so do the textures.

jared_kipe
Oct 21, 2005, 09:36 AM
Actually Halo 2 is much more impressive than the original. I think most people who are pissed at Halo 2 are really pissed at the lack of an ending. The graphics are probably the best I've seen on xbox, after playing Halo2 for a while, I went and played halo on my mac. God was it ugly and crappy.

BornAgainMac
Oct 21, 2005, 10:24 AM
I prefer the graphics and gameplay on the Mac over a Xbox or console (Except for sports and fighting games). Perhaps Xbox 360 will change my mind.

Eric5h5
Oct 21, 2005, 12:56 PM
I've seen the Havok argument several times but I don't see why it's a problem. Why can't they just take out Havok and replace it with something else?

Because then the game wouldn't work right, or possibly not work at all. (And there's no "just" about it...it wouldn't be a trivial task, if it can even be done.)

--Eric

P.S. Just to correct some misinfo: Halo sold pretty well, people are generally pretty happy with it, it uses the keyboard just as well as any other FPS, and it was pretty well de-consolized...it doesn't suffer from console-itis any more than Oni did (actually Halo resembles Oni in some minor ways).

Dont Hurt Me
Oct 21, 2005, 01:59 PM
Because then the game wouldn't work right, or possibly not work at all. (And there's no "just" about it...it wouldn't be a trivial task, if it can even be done.)

--Eric

P.S. Just to correct some misinfo: Halo sold pretty well, people are generally pretty happy with it, it uses the keyboard just as well as any other FPS, and it was pretty well de-consolized...it doesn't suffer from console-itis any more than Oni did (actually Halo resembles Oni in some minor ways).Lets not spin, Halo didnt use the keyboard as well as any other, it didnt allow for use of the two apple keys, the two option keys or the two control keys and these just happen to be next to the the arrow keys. Only FPS i ever saw that had limited use of keyboard. I can have my controls the same for every FPS but Halo, that is console-itis.

Eric5h5
Oct 21, 2005, 03:27 PM
Lets not spin, Halo didnt use the keyboard as well as any other, it didnt allow for use of the two apple keys, the two option keys or the two control keys and these just happen to be next to the the arrow keys. Only FPS i ever saw that had limited use of keyboard. I can have my controls the same for every FPS but Halo, that is console-itis.

Arrow keys? WSAD here, plus Q E Z shift space. Just like all my other FPS games. I didn't notice about not using Apple or option or control, because I never use those keys in games...too far out of the way. But you're right that it would be annoying if you want to use those keys but can't.

--Eric

applekid
Oct 21, 2005, 03:40 PM
Petitions never work.

Remove Havok from Halo 2 and you'll replace it with a weak engine, and forget about compatibility with the PC.

Nermal
Oct 21, 2005, 04:48 PM

I thought it might be of similar complexity to taking out DirectX and replacing it with OpenGL. That seems to work pretty well most of the time :)

biohazard6969
Oct 21, 2005, 04:59 PM
what's wrong with halo 2? i think its amazing, so much better than halo. and secondly, this havok engine, is it not mac compatible at all? isn't it the same one that CS and HL2 run on? i'm just curious i never knew

jared_kipe
Oct 21, 2005, 05:23 PM
what's wrong with halo 2? i think its amazing, so much better than halo. and secondly, this havok engine, is it not mac compatible at all? isn't it the same one that CS and HL2 run on? i'm just curious i never knew

Well, the people who wrote it say they have it working on mac/osx, but they won't release it without ungodly amounts of money from developers. And no mac developer has that kind of money.

Eric5h5
Oct 21, 2005, 07:24 PM
I thought it might be of similar complexity to taking out DirectX and replacing it with OpenGL. That seems to work pretty well most of the time :)

In the case of graphics, it doesn't matter much if there are minor visual differences between DirectX and OpenGL (and there usually are). In terms of the game, it DOES matter quite a lot if there are minor differences in physics engines, because then you have bad collision detection, objects going through walls, shots missing when they should hit, animations going out of sync or just messing up, etc.

At first glance it's not a bad idea, but Mac developers already thought of it, investigated it, and realized it wouldn't work. Alas.

--Eric

iMacSE500
Oct 21, 2005, 11:27 PM
Hahhahahahahha. Internet Petitions NEVER work.
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/internet.htm

combatcolin
Oct 22, 2005, 05:48 AM
That scart cable , will it hook into an apple display with that?
:confused:

Sorry, was talking about a normal tv and replacing the crappy composite leads that come with all consoles now.

UK = Scart
US = Component.

Both provide crisp RGB tha is head and shoulders above Composite.

For a flat panal, use the xBox VGA cable which will give a better picture than even Scart/Composite but one down side is that monitors are never as big as a TV.

I bought a 25" Panasonic 4:3 TV at quite a sharpish price in order to game properly.

EDIT

OK maybe the 30" ACD display is.