Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

west05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Reading
Well this is a bit of a strange one...

I have a dual 2.0 GHz G5 and somehow it has the single processor firmware installed (1.1.5f0) so it only recognises one processor.
It's 18 months old and 14 months a go it had the logic board replaced so it must have been like this since then.
If I try and install the correct firmware (1.1.4) it says I already have a newer firmware installed!

Does anyone know a way arround this without having to replace the logic board?

Thanks

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
west05 said:
Well this is a bit of a strange one...

I have a dual 2.0 GHz G5 and somehow it has the single processor firmware installed (1.1.5f0) so it only recognises one processor.
It's 18 months old and 14 months a go it had the logic board replaced so it must have been like this since then.
If I try and install the correct firmware (1.1.4) it says I already have a newer firmware installed!

Does anyone know a way arround this without having to replace the logic board?

Thanks

Holy shmoly.... Have you called apple yet?

west05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Reading
Yes, spent an hour on the phone to them yesterday.

Basically they say it's not possible! And have never come accross it before but still won't do a repair FOC. DO't really want to spend £500 on a new logic board if I can help it.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Either call back and get someone better to help you, or ask them to get a manager.

This is ridiculous, and I wouldn't take their crap about it. You need to get what to pay for. If anything, THEY should be running around trying to solve this issue for YOU. They should be ass-kissing. They should be phoning you back. They should be offering you siht for free. You've been using a configuration that was half as fast as it should have been, and it's completely their fault.

And if they don't offer you something, which includes getting a new logic board put in and possibly more, I'd complain to the Better Business Bureau or something like that.

On the other hand, if they're right, you're going to look like a down-right tw*t. :p

west05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Reading
I'm in Reading and no Apple stores near here. I've also spoken to 2 Apple service centres as well with no avail.

I don't use this mac it's a collegues. I only noticed it when I installed some new memory

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2003
London
call apple

call apple and keep complaining to higher managers etc until u get a result have u kept the repair confirmation for the first logic board repair u can prove u had a fuctioning 2 cpu mahine before they ****ed it up or is that reapied the machine :mad:

west05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Reading
Apple have a record of the first repair on their system. Believe me If have given them a hard time about it and they just say as It can't be prooved it was done on the first repair they wont cover it!

Surely there here must be a way of just installing the correct firmware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.