Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Argelius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2005
I have a 3rd gen iPod I haven't used in a while that I just sold on eBay. In preparing to ship it to the buyer, I found that I can't get it to charge at all using either of two different original chargers and cables.

I have a 3rd party charger (with a retractable cable) that worked fine. After an overnight charge, all seems okay with the iPod.

However, still, when I plug in the original cable and charger (AC adapter), there is no indication it is charging (i.e. no charging icon).

The cable I am using to connect the charger to the iPod works fine for connecting to my computer via USB for song transfers, so I don't think the cable is the problem.

Also, since neither of two chargers work, I'm thinking it's not that...

Any ideas?

Labi

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2005
Do you have another iPod to check the two charges with? It's very possible that they're both dead!

Argelius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2005
Labi said:
Do you have another iPod to check the two charges with? It's very possible that they're both dead!

Actually, that's the one piece of troubleshooting I failed to mention. I've tried the chargers on a different iPod, and they work fine...

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
I dont know if anyone has a 5th gen (video capable) ipod, but I was wondering if the charger for my 3G will work with it-- I had assumed it would; the connector is the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.