PDA

View Full Version : Great update to my favorite note taking and presentation app: GoodNotes!

MrPeripatetic
Mar 28, 2013, 04:10 PM
This app keeps getting better. Among other features/fixes, the new 3.8 update adds some very handy customization to colors and line thickness, image cropping and smooth rotation, as well as updates to the lasso tool, such as the ability to resize your selection.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming iCloud sync feature, subfolders and tabs.

I've tried nearly all the major note taking apps. I've found this to be the best.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goodnotes-notes-pdf/id424587621?mt=8

Taustin Powers
Mar 29, 2013, 03:39 AM
Great app, but one vital thing is missing: I need a "regular" non-text-box typing mode. When I type a lot, I need the text to just fill the page, and break to the next page when running out of space. Text boxes are unusable for large amounts of text...they just expand into oblivion when running out of space on a page and are a real pain in the ass to handle.

My only complaint about the app, really, but it's a dealbreaker for me. :(

Han Solo 1
Mar 29, 2013, 07:45 AM
I agree with both of you. GoodNotes is my favorite app for annotating PDF's. I have multiple 100+ page PDF's that I have to go through several times a week. I'm part of the tester group and so I was playing with these new updates a few days ago and was blown away. The new ink customization is awesome, as well.

For inputting pages of text, it's not that great for the reasons Taustin Powers said. For me, though, I never use it for text input. I have yet to find an app better than Pages for that, so that's what I stick to.

The updates I'm waiting for on GoodNotes are tabs and the ability to add sticky notes. But the developer for this is really working hard on making it better, at least that's the impression I get, so I'm not worried about it. Great quality, fast PDF image rendering, nice UI. It's almost perfect now.

MrPeripatetic
Mar 29, 2013, 02:59 PM
I agree with both of you. GoodNotes is my favorite app for annotating PDF's. I have multiple 100+ page PDF's that I have to go through several times a week. I'm part of the tester group and so I was playing with these new updates a few days ago and was blown away. The new ink customization is awesome, as well.

For inputting pages of text, it's not that great for the reasons Taustin Powers said. For me, though, I never use it for text input. I have yet to find an app better than Pages for that, so that's what I stick to.

The updates I'm waiting for on GoodNotes are tabs and the ability to add sticky notes. But the developer for this is really working hard on making it better, at least that's the impression I get, so I'm not worried about it. Great quality, fast PDF image rendering, nice UI. It's almost perfect now.

And I agree with both of you (you and Taustin Powers that is; I obviously agree with myself, unless I change my mind). GoodNotes is the best note taking app qua handwriting app (with some text features) that I've found, but not the best text input note taking app (it's not meant to be used in that way primarily).

I'm part of the tester group as well. This version was a big improvement for me too.

Taustin Powers
Mar 30, 2013, 05:07 PM
I would just like to have a note taking app that "does it all", and does it well. GoodNotes is incredibly close, and if it had continuous text typing input, it would be perfect for me. Everything else, the zoom window advance, the ink engine, the shape recognition, the whole user interface are near perfect. Maybe someday they will implement regular text input, it can't be very hard to do and would really complete this package.