Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagnumOP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
I just have a feeling Apple would get killed by the media if the next iPhone was $250.

jayrflow

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2013
For $250 I would have paid if it had the octo core. The US Note 3 may have it. The US S3 didn't have the quad core the int version had but the Note 2 had the quad core. My guess is the US Note 3 will come with the octo core. I love what the S4 has but it isn't enough to pull me away from my iphone 5. I will wait to see what the next Motorola will be like. If Samsung releases a Note 3 (I mean why wouldn't they?), that may be the only phone that would be able to tear me away from my iphone 5

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
For $250 I would have paid if it had the octo core. The US Note 3 may have it. The US S3 didn't have the quad core the int version had but the Note 2 had the quad core. My guess is the US Note 3 will come with the octo core. I love what the S4 has but it isn't enough to pull me away from my iphone 5. I will wait to see what the next Motorola will be like. If Samsung releases a Note 3 (I mean why wouldn't they?), that may be the only phone that would be able to tear me away from my iphone 5

I'd rather have the slower processor which would use less battery. I'm not going to do anything that requires some crazy power.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
On an unrelated topic, here in the UK, the three network are doing the HTC One for free on £34/month contracts. Bargain (it includes all you can eat data).

I will be surprised if three charge more than that for the Galaxy S4 as last year I got my Galaxy S3 free on a £34/month contract on launch day

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I've got the S3 and just bought a used Note 2 today (should have it next week). When I saw this today, I was frankly shocked. I'm really surprised they decided to go with this price hike, considering you've been able to get the Note 2 for that price from time to time recently.

Really, this just clinches it for me that I'm going to pass on the S4. I don't have an upgrade for a few months anyway. But I'll just keep using my S3 and Note 2 for now.

Heck, at this price for an upgrade, you may as well go ahead and buy it off-contract for $579 and save your upgrade for later.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I wonder if someone will trade my mint Note 2 for an S4 when it comes out. I have my upgrade so if that falls through, I'll just pick it up.

I've been able to get ridiculous deals via AT&T premier customer service, versus buying it in the store. I upgraded to an S3 last summer a week after release. Got the phone for $149.99 plus a hefty $125 bill credit as a perk. :D

For those on the fence about the $249.99 price, I'm sure Best Buy, Amazon, etc will discount it. Not a big deal.

Alfuh

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2009
I'd rather have the slower processor which would use less battery. I'm not going to do anything that requires some crazy power.

Not sure exactly what you're meaning by this, but you do know that the octo core version is the one that is slightly slower and gives better battery life right?

I'm waiting to see what the Note 3 and other phones have to offer first, but if I went for an s4 it would likely be octo all the way :cool:

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
Why is this so hard for so many people to understand?

The "subsidised" price is not the actual cost of the phone. It is a deposit. The repayments for said phone are included in the monthly payments on your contract.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Cali taxes on the unsubsidized price.

So if the phone retails for $700, it would be $700 * 9% = $63.

$249 + $63 = $312

The msrp for S3 was $550 at ATT corp stores. I believe MSRP for S4 is $579 for base 16gb model.

Anyways. Remember to add $36 "activation or upgrade" charges also. Getting harder and harder to get them waived.

So $250 plus $36 plus taxes. U are looking at around $310-330 total price just to sign a 2 year contract.

Maybe better off paying full retail. Save the upgrade for iPhone 5s/6 which will inherently have much high resell value than S4 when it comes out.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
At Best Buy, the S3 retails for $699.99. I'm surprise it's listed at $550 at ATT.

Best buy, amazon etc aren't interested in selling no contract. So they make it a deterrent by jacking up the no contract price. Best buy wants to make commission selling 2 year contracts.

Always check at ATT online or corp stores for official no contract pricing.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
For those on the fence about the $249.99 price, I'm sure Best Buy, Amazon, etc will discount it. Not a big deal.

Don't be so sure about Best Buy discounting anything. The retail off-contract price of the S3 at the Best Buy stores in my area were $649.99 or $100 higher than AT&T.

At Best Buy, the S3 retails for $699.99. I'm surprise it's listed at $550 at ATT.

Best buy, amazon etc aren't interested in selling no contract. So they make it a deterrent by jacking up the no contract price. Best buy wants to make commission selling 2 year contracts.

Always check at ATT online or corp stores for official no contract pricing.

I wouldn't say Best Buy isn't interested in selling off-contract. If that were the case, they wouldn't offer the price match policy they have. When I bought my S3 from Best Buy last summer, their price was $649. I asked them to price match AT&T at $549. They looked surprised that AT&T had it for $100 cheaper, but after making a call to a local store and confirming the lower price, they came back and said sure, we can do that.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Looks like AT&T caved in to all the backlash and lowered the price, plus they're bringing the 32gb Galaxy S4 this time around! $199/16gb $249/32gb

I'll pre-order a black 32gb next week.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/03/att-galaxy-s-4-pricing/

Interesting timing, AT&T: just a day after the HTC One pricing was announced, the carrier has clarified its launch plans for the Samsung Galaxy S 4. We already knew the phone would be available on pre-order for $250 on April 16th, but AT&T has now specified that this will be for the 32GB model; the 16GB flavor will actually be $200, both with two-year commitments. This certainly doesn't help HTC's hopes of conquering the world, though the $200 One will at least hold twice as much internal storage as the GS 4 (although Samsung's flagship at least offers expandable memory, whereas the One does not). AT&T still hasn't announced an official release date, so that's the last remaining piece of the puzzle yet to be revealed.

Sincci

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Finland
Not sure exactly what you're meaning by this, but you do know that the octo core version is the one that is slightly slower and gives better battery life right?

I'm waiting to see what the Note 3 and other phones have to offer first, but if I went for an s4 it would likely be octo all the way :cool:

Actually the Exynos 5 Octa version is around 10% more powerful than the Snapdragon 600 version and yet it still gets better battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.