PDA

View Full Version : Character Picker disabled?

chrf097
Mar 28, 2013, 10:35 PM
Basically what the title says. My character picker is gone (when you press and hold a letter). All it does when I press and hold a letter like "a" or "i" just constantly repeats it. This is a pain as I have to do a lot of Spanish work on my computer. How can I get it back?

HexMonkey
Mar 28, 2013, 11:27 PM
Try copying and pasting the following command into Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal):
defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool true

This sets the setting back to the default value (true) and should work if the cause was something setting it to a different value. You'll need to relaunch whatever application you're using for typing after you do this.

If you're typing those characters a lot it might also be faster to learn the keyboard shortcuts for them. For the accented vowels, type option-e followed by the vowel (eg opt-e followed by u gives ), and for type option-n followed by n.

chrf097
Mar 28, 2013, 11:37 PM
Try copying and pasting the following command into Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal):
defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool true

Didn't help at all.

justperry
Mar 28, 2013, 11:52 PM
Didn't help at all.

I think you know this but is it enabled in Language & Text Preference Pane>Input Sources?

chrf097
Mar 29, 2013, 08:13 AM
I think you know this but is it enabled in Language & Text Preference Pane>Input Sources?

I dont see an option indicatin that choice.

justperry
Mar 29, 2013, 08:45 AM
I dont see an option indicatin that choice.

Screenshot.