PDA

View Full Version : X-com?

mrgreen4242
Oct 21, 2005, 10:39 AM
I remember reading about a remake or a port at least of the old game X-COM... the turn based strategy game with the aliens, etc.

Now I can't find the thread with the details, but does anyone know, a) if there is such a remake/port going on? b) is it OS X compatiblem? c) will the original DOS game run under any free/cheap emulators? and d) can you still buy the game anywhere on the cheap (ie, is it in any value pack discsm etc)?

jalagl
Oct 21, 2005, 02:11 PM
I would definitely get a remake for the Mac ... that is one of the best games ever, IMHO.

In the meantime, there's a game coming out for the GBA called Rebelstar Tactical Command (http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/648/648838p1.html), which looks just like the tactical parts of X-Com. I'm dying to get my hands on that one.

Poff
Oct 21, 2005, 06:40 PM
It should run on a good DOS-emulator, even though I haven't tried myself.

A port to OSX would be cool tho.

Rebelstar will be cool I guess, even though I got bored with the missions after a while. Researching was the cool part. And a good game of FF FF FF 7F in liglob.dat now and then.

Remember the first time you started researching on your own UFO's? That was great! A friend and I were up much longer at night than we were allowed to, and had several big moments w/UFO: Enemy Unknown as the name was in Europe.

dan-o-mac
Oct 22, 2005, 03:32 PM
Get DosBox from macupdate and go to abandonia for all the x-c-m games. Read my post http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=154131 if you can get it to run send me a step by step guide on how you did it.

I remember reading about a remake or a port at least of the old game X-COM... the turn based strategy game with the aliens, etc.

Now I can't find the thread with the details, but does anyone know, a) if there is such a remake/port going on? b) is it OS X compatiblem? c) will the original DOS game run under any free/cheap emulators? and d) can you still buy the game anywhere on the cheap (ie, is it in any value pack discsm etc)?

jalagl
Oct 24, 2005, 01:49 AM
Remember the first time you started researching on your own UFO's? That was great! A friend and I were up much longer at night than we were allowed to, and had several big moments w/UFO: Enemy Unknown as the name was in Europe.

X-Com had a lot of moments like that:

First time a @!#$ ethereal possesed one of your best soldiers
First time you raided the alien's bases
First time you captured an alien leader (don't remember the name)
First time you got to Cydonia
First time you built your own interceptors (?)
First time you built the hover tanks
etc, etc...

Maybe that's what made the game so cool. And I agree with you that the research part rulz... I'm a turn-based strategy addict myself, so I did enjoy the battles a lot. Still do - I have it installed in an old 486 laptop, but I almost never play it anymore.

mrgreen4242
Oct 24, 2005, 09:31 AM
Get DosBox from macupdate and go to abandonia for all the x-c-m games. Read my post http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=154131 if you can get it to run send me a step by step guide on how you did it.

Ah thanks for that... got it working and it runs OK on my mini. However, I think I am going to have to dust off my old 333mhz PC and install FreeDOS or something on there. Did the sequel to UFO run in DOS or was it a Windows game?

jalagl
Oct 24, 2005, 12:21 PM
Ah thanks for that... got it working and it runs OK on my mini. However, I think I am going to have to dust off my old 333mhz PC and install FreeDOS or something on there. Did the sequel to UFO run in DOS or was it a Windows game?

The first sequel, Terror from the Deep, was DOS-based. The third one ran on Windows, IIRC.

Poff
Oct 24, 2005, 05:02 PM
The first sequel, Terror from the Deep, was DOS-based. The third one ran on Windows, IIRC.

I have the third one somewhere. I believe you can get it running on DOS aswell. IMO the third one got way too complicated. Apart from that, it was fun with the added RTS-part.