Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sp71Supra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Hello everyone.. looking for some advice. I used to run Bootcamp on my old 06 MBP and it worked great.. then I tried the VM Fusion which worked "OK" I do however feel that it was because of my machine specs.

Let me explain what I will be using Windows for and it may help on the advice that you can give me. I run windows for 2 reasons.

1- The tuning software to tune my Supra is windows only (AEM)
2- 2 of my work programs (mostly web based)

I will be using OS X primarily.. when I take some paperwork home I need to use windows. I rarely bring the laptop to work but if I do I would like it to connect to my network drives, etc.. does this work well in VM Fusion?

Im really thinking of using bootcamp since the boot up time on these new rMBP's with SSD's is VERY fast and ill get a native experience.. hence not really a hassle switching between os x and win7. However the specs on the new rMBP is amazing and it might run windows through VM Fusion flawless... If that's the case obviously thats a better option.

The other benefit to VM Fusion is that I can view my security cameras at my work in a flash if need be instead of re-booting (the web client is windows only :mad: )

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Why not just install Windows under Boot Camp, then point Fusion to that partition instead of doing a separate install? Gives you the best of both worlds.

Vanarak19

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
I just run a VM for my tuner software. Works easy enough. I don't use it all the time though.

Sp71Supra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Why not just install Windows under Boot Camp, then point Fusion to that partition instead of doing a separate install? Gives you the best of both worlds.

Wow.. I didn't know you can do that. So basically just install windows with bootcamp, get it up and running.. then install Fusion and just point it to that partition? If so will Fusion just run off the bootcamp install? Meaning I only need to install windows one time?

So I can use Fusion if I wish to do something quick and if I am doing some heavy computing I can just reboot into native windows?

If so thats awesome and I owe you a beer if we ever cross paths in real life :D

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
So basically just install windows with bootcamp, get it up and running.. then install Fusion and just point it to that partition?

Yes, that exactly.

If so will Fusion just run off the bootcamp install?

It sure will!

Meaning I only need to install windows one time?

Yes, only one install to maintain, to update, to install your applications on.

So I can use Fusion if I wish to do something quick and if I am doing some heavy computing I can just reboot into native windows?

That's exactly how I use it. Fusion for most tasks, Boot Camp for gaming.

If so thats awesome and I owe you a beer if we ever cross paths in real life :D

Glad I could help. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.