PDA

View Full Version : Unlikely Rumor Claims June 20 Media Event to Introduce iPhone 5S

MacRumors
Mar 29, 2013, 10:38 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/29/unlikely-rumor-claims-june-20-media-event-to-introduce-iphone-5s/)

Mac Otakara reports (http://www.macotakara.jp/blog/rumor/entry-19617.html) that the long-running Japanese magazine MacFan (http://macfan.jp/) has claimed that Apple will be holding a special media event on June 20 to introduce the iPhone 5S. According to the report, the iPhone 5S will actually launch in July with the rumored lower-cost iPhone following in August.

Various analysts (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/26/analyst-predicts-new-iphone-5s-in-june-low-cost-iphone-in-september/) and other sources (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/25/iphone-5s-said-to-feature-upgraded-rear-camera-ipad-mini-update-targeted-for-october/) have been indicating that the iPhone 5S could launch as soon as June or July, but MacFan's specific claim of a June 20 media event seems to defy common sense on several levels.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/03/iphone_5_event_line.jpgiPhone 5 media event line (Josh Lowensohn/CNET (https://twitter.com/Josh/status/245903397553836036))
First, while Apple has not yet announced dates for its annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in San Francisco, a tentative long-range schedule (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/07/tentative-upcoming-wwdc-dates-leaked/) that leaked several years ago and continued gap in the Moscone Center's public schedule (http://www.moscone.com/site/do/event/list?nav.type=0&nav.base=1303&nav.filter=1305) have suggested that the company is likely to hold the conference the week of June 10-14.

Apple could certainly choose to introduce the iPhone 5S at WWDC as it did for several years before it shifted iPhone launches to later in the year for 2011 and 2012, although the company has shown that it is willing to hold WWDC without a major hardware launch and instead focus on iOS and OS X for its developer community.

Still, even if Apple chooses not to introduce the iPhone 5S at WWDC, it seems extremely unlikely that the company would expect the media to return for a separate media event just a week later to show off the iPhone 5S. Even when it is running a tight schedule to launch significant numbers of new products, Apple schedules significant gaps between its announcements in order to allow each one to have its full share of publicity.

Second, Apple almost universally holds its media events on Tuesdays or Wednesdays, with the theory being that Mondays are poor days for members of the media who may need to travel to the event location the day before and that Thursdays and Fridays don't leave enough time for the full publicity impact before the news cycle is interrupted by the weekend. The one recent exception to Apple's scheduling trend was its education-focused media event (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/19/live-coverage-of-apples-education-focused-media-event/) on Thursday, January 19, 2012, but that event was unusual in several respects, including its location in New York City and a strict focus on content such as iBooks Textbooks and iTunes U rather than any new hardware.

As a result, we believe that June 20 is a very unlikely date for an iPhone media event, with Apple being much more likely to either introduce the iPhone 5S at WWDC itself during a Monday keynote (regardless of what week the conference is held) or at a Tuesday or Wednesday media event at least several weeks removed from WWDC.

Article Link: Unlikely Rumor Claims June 20 Media Event to Introduce iPhone 5S (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/29/unlikely-rumor-claims-june-20-media-event-to-introduce-iphone-5s/)

Xgm541
Mar 29, 2013, 10:44 AM
i dont expect any significant changes

r2shyyou
When you put it like that, it sure does sound unlikely! :p

applesith
A date before WWDC would make it easier to announce awesome new features for developers to get ready for. WWDC could be all about getting new features into apps so the next iPhone is locked and loaded with killer updated apps.

What would these awesome new features be? Hopefully something better than just a faster processor.

bushido
hasnt the iOS beta usually come out in march? this gives me hope that itll actually see some changes this time around and takes a bit longer :)

edit: nvm it was june last year?

Radio
Mar 29, 2013, 10:46 AM
Omg omg I can't wait!

I wonder what the iPhone 5S will be like?!

Best phone ever I'm sure !!

Weeeee!

d0mth0ma5
Mar 29, 2013, 10:49 AM
If they debut/preview iOS 7 in April then maybe.

AppleMactablet
Mar 29, 2013, 10:53 AM
Only two things I care about: Retina iPad mini and iOS7 and...a bit for Mac 10.9

billystlyes
Mar 29, 2013, 10:59 AM
Holy long story for nothing Batman...

Squilly
Mar 29, 2013, 11:14 AM
Hope iOS 7 is released. Needs to be big.

nepalisherpa
Mar 29, 2013, 11:15 AM
If iPhone 5S is set to be released in July then that's when iOS 7 will come out as well. Given that, a new OS is usually announced about 3-3.5 months in advance. If we don't see any announcement in two weeks then we are not going to see a new OS or a new phone this July.

newyorksole
Mar 29, 2013, 11:17 AM
i dont expect any significant changes

12MP, A7, Fingerprint-Senor, iOS 7.

Nothing more.

Peace
Mar 29, 2013, 11:19 AM
A date before WWDC would make it easier to announce awesome new features for developers to get ready for. WWDC could be all about getting new features into apps so the next iPhone is locked and loaded with killer updated apps.

What would these awesome new features be? Hopefully something better than just a faster processor.

Nothing more.

h.265

sushant08
Mar 29, 2013, 11:21 AM
I have heard that they are holding an event called "original Passion,new ideas" on june 29th.Personally doesn't sound legitmate but nyways here is the link.
http://gizmorati.com/2013/03/iphone-5s-ipad-5-special-releasing-event-original-passion-new-ideas/

Thedeathbear
Mar 29, 2013, 11:25 AM

Nothing more.

Sorry, but I think a fingerprint sensor is the stupidest thing. Also, don't expect it to see mobile phones...ever. It isn't practical. Passcode lock gives enough security.

Tankmaze
Mar 29, 2013, 11:26 AM
if the iphone 5S launch in june. we have to get iOS 7 preview this march or early april.

cardfan
Mar 29, 2013, 11:32 AM
If iPhone 5S is set to be released in July then that's when iOS 7 will come out as well. Given that, a new OS is usually announced about 3-3.5 months in advance. If we don't see any announcement in two weeks then we are not going to see a new OS or a new phone this July.

This is all you need to know. No need to guess.

iMore has already confirmed a while back with it's inside source that August is the target. I'd expect iOS 7 to be unveiled at a June event. But if they're making predictions, the key is iOS 7.

Carlanga
Mar 29, 2013, 11:36 AM
haven't see any new parts for the 5S except the ones of the home button, I too believe the 5S will be announced on WWDC w/ the new iOS. The S versions always bring big software changes more so than hardware changes that impact the look, always internal specs improvement that are very welcome. So if the model is very similar to the 5 in appearance then I can see that there would be no need to have a special event just for the 5S, hell you could throw the ipad mini w/ retina in there too.

ArtOfWarfare

No, it'll just be a faster processor and all the developer sessions will focus on how to make apps less efficient so that they can properly use the new processor to make a firestarting app.

I'll call mine "Flint". Or maybe "Battery + Steel Wool".

chakdey
I think you guys could have skipped posting this news story on here. It would have been worse if it was on the front page. :p

Rumors are Rumors and its MacRumors.com :)

Menel
Mar 29, 2013, 11:40 AM
Sorry, but I think a fingerprint sensor is the stupidest thing. Also, don't expect it to see mobile phones...ever. It isn't practical. Passcode lock gives enough security.Finger print unlock is one touch instead of 4!

iOS 7 and iPhone 5S increased EFFICIENCY by 75%!!1

You'll see it on a slide... sigh

Bako-MacAddict
Mar 29, 2013, 11:54 AM
Omg omg I can't wait!

I wonder what the iPhone 5S will be like?!

Best phone ever I'm sure !!

Weeeee!

The best iphone yet !

irDigital0l
Mar 29, 2013, 12:09 PM
slow news day....

Wait its been that way for Apple for like 5 months now...

Nothing but a load of rumors, no march event, etc.

macduke
Mar 29, 2013, 12:33 PM
Apple has never launched an iPhone without a new OS so first iOS 7 has to be announced and go into beta. If there is hardly any beta period, then don't expect iOS 7 to be much of a change—which would be disappointing.

History of iOS releases:

Version / Announcement / Release / Days Between

2.0 / 3-6-08 / 7-11-08 / 127
3.0 / 3-17-09 / 7-17-09 / 122
4.0 / 4-8-10 / 6-21-10 / 74
5.0 / 6-6-11 / 10-12-11 / 128
6.0 / 6-11-12 / 9/19/12 / 100

The average between releases is 110 days.

If iOS 7 is demoed on 6-10-13, then expect iPhone 5S to be released around either September 24 or 25th, or October 1st or 2nd. If I were a betting man, I'd say iOS 7 is going to have some fairly significant changes—so expect a release in October.

If Apple is going to announce the iPhone 5S at WWDC on June 10th, then expect an iOS 7 event around February 19. Whoops! Well lets use the shortest ever date on the table: 74 days. That means the event should have been held by...yesterday. Crap. I suppose it would be awesome if Apple poured some of their billions into iOS 7 to rewrite it from the ground up with super stability and tons of testing, but what are the odds of that happening? Although considering how iOS 6 wasn't a huge upgrade, there could be teams who have been working on it for a couple years now making sure it's rock solid. Hmmm. The only other way this could work for a June release is for the WWDC event to be held later in June and the event invitations to go out next week or something.

I should be an analyst. Look guys! I used numbers and wild speculation!!

Hexiii
Mar 29, 2013, 12:38 PM
I suppose it would be awesome if Apple poured some of their billions into iOS 7 to rewrite it from the ground up with super stability and tons of testing.

Too bad that money itself can't write a code....

Carlanga
Mar 29, 2013, 12:48 PM
Apple has never launched an iPhone without a new OS so first iOS 7 has to be announced and go into beta. ...

no, before 2011, the iPhone used to be shown at WWDC at the same event the new OS was shown.

irfaanfaki
Mar 29, 2013, 12:51 PM
At this point all iCare about is iveOS 7 :)

laudern
Mar 29, 2013, 01:02 PM
At this point all iCare about is iveOS 7 :)

Now that's clever!

irDigital0l
Mar 29, 2013, 02:14 PM
Apple has been holding WWDC from 2007-2012 all on Mondays.

Its going to be June 10th this year.

myrtlebee
Mar 29, 2013, 02:19 PM
I think June will see the release of both the new iPhone and iPad (has been my guess for a while). While I have no desire for the 5S, the new full size iPad might be a tempting wallet-emptier.

Brother Esau
Mar 29, 2013, 02:29 PM
Finger print unlock is one touch instead of 4!

You'll see it on a slide... sigh

That is certainly wishful thinking that will never materialize. That increased efficiency by 75% part specifically.

Finger print verification can be easier to circumvent than an encrypted password stored on your brain. Why anybody would think that this was a good idea unless specifically being used on a stationary device located in a secure facility is beyond me.

For instance, some gung ho cop that pulls you over who wants to see what is on your phone. Whats to stop him from grabbing your hand and using your index finger to unlock the phone? At least with a password it would physically take a subpoena issued by a judge and even then they cannot force you to violate your 5th amendment right where you would be forced to bear witness against yourself.

Whats to stop the violent and aggressive police that seem to plague our society from using this to there advantage considering it would be their word against yours if they forced you to scan the phone with your finger?

Doesn't anyone ever think of things such as this or is common intelligence out the window for the sake of convenience and pure laziness these days?

irfaanfaki
Mar 29, 2013, 02:34 PM
Now that's clever!

Thank you very much 😃 il just feel good about myself now thanks to you haha time to make it an "official" macrumors word. Lol il be sure to copyright it :D

IJ Reilly
Mar 29, 2013, 03:09 PM
MR seems to be telling us that the June 20 media event is unlikely to be a rumor.

applesith
Mar 29, 2013, 04:18 PM
No, it'll just be a faster processor and all the developer sessions will focus on how to make apps less efficient so that they can properly use the new processor to make a firestarting app.

I'll call mine "Flint". Or maybe "Battery + Steel Wool".

Umm that's what I said. We aren't getting any special features. I said it would be nice. Of course it will be just a new processor. I guess you take things too literally.

newyorksole
Mar 29, 2013, 05:54 PM
Sorry, but I think a fingerprint sensor is the stupidest thing. Also, don't expect it to see mobile phones...ever. It isn't practical. Passcode lock gives enough security.

I mean, they did buy a fingerprint sensor company. Andd they're passionate about security. Also these rumors existed before they bought them.

hushypushy
Mar 29, 2013, 06:52 PM

You don't expect to see it on mobile phones ever? Well, it's already been equipped on mobile phones, and it didn't really make a splash. The Motorola Atrix I bought in 2009 has a fingerprint sensor. When I went to Japan in 2005, one of the dudes I met there showed me his new phone with a fingerprint sensor.

I agree that it's stupid. The one on my Motorola is extremely hard to use, and there are a few password options that are just as secure.

If they do put it on the 5S, it will be interesting to see how they integrate it; every cell phone fingerprint sensor I've seen so far is UGLY.

Lancer
Mar 29, 2013, 07:09 PM
I'm still hoping Apple will announce the 5s at the WWDC, even if it's for a launch later in the year, say July.

charlituna
Mar 29, 2013, 09:50 PM
Whats to stop the violent and aggressive police that seem to plague our society from using this to there advantage considering it would be their word against yours if they forced you to scan the phone with your finger?

So what if he does. Unless he had a legit reason to pull you over and to search your phone anything he finds wouldn't be hard for a decent lawyer to get tossed

----------

Finger print unlock is one touch instead of 4!

But you still have to deal with the developers to write crap code bringing the efficiency down

charlituna
Mar 29, 2013, 10:11 PM
I mean, they did buy a fingerprint sensor company. Andd they're passionate about security. Also these rumors existed before they bought them.

Doesn't mean that they want to sense fingerprints for security, or given that the buy was recently ago, it will appear this year

scottytwo
Mar 30, 2013, 07:30 AM
"low cost iphone expected to be released in august"

Am I the only one noticing that the rumours of the 'low cost iphone' happen every year?

Sigh.

maxosx
Mar 30, 2013, 10:35 AM
It's good to see Apple take the threat of an ever dominating innovative Samsung seriously.

Forced to wake up & understand that big bucks sales don't last forever, perhaps Apple will respond with something to rebuild their image as an innovator in the eyes of the public.

Denial may be working splendidly for those who embrace it, but there's no denying that Samsung has a huge presence in America's front room.

The number of widescreen Samsung TV's & Smart TV's in the homes of those who live in the USA & elsewhere, is testimony to the expertise of the company so many here hate.

Samsung is the kick in the ass Apple needs to remain sharp & bring us the world class products Apple is capable of creating, when they feel like it.

Brand recognition is crucial & Samsung has it

tekboi
Mar 30, 2013, 10:37 AM
Apple is just going to troll us with minimal updates anyways. But I wouldn't be surprised if they did announce it on this date. I'm much more interested in an iOS upgrade.

macduke
Mar 30, 2013, 11:59 AM
no, before 2011, the iPhone used to be shown at WWDC at the same event the new OS was shown.

That's completely wrong. Please don't post if you're going to spread misinformation as you'll confuse the more impressionable forum members around here.

The iPhone OS was always shown a few months before WWDC (with beta), and then the new iPhone was shown at WWDC along with the final build of the OS which would often reiterate the key points of the new OS along with some potential new software features only available on the new iPhone hardware. Then in 2011 they started showing the new OS at WWDC (with beta), followed up a few months later by an iPhone event and the final build of the OS, reiterate key features, and show any features only applicable to the latest iPhone (like Siri).

I know this gets said a lot on forums, but did you honestly even read my post? I put in a chart of dates that you should go fact check before saying I've got it all wrong. The latest iOS is always shown a few months before they release it to the public with a new iPhone. They haven't shown the new iOS yet, so it would seem unlikely that they would launch it in early June. Is this really that difficult to follow? iOS Beta, few months of betas, iOS release alongside new iPhone hardware. It's been that way every year after initial release in 2007. The only thing that changes are absolute dates.

cnev3
May 9, 2013, 12:35 PM
That's completely wrong. Please don't post if you're going to spread misinformation as you'll confuse the more impressionable forum members around here.

The iPhone OS was always shown a few months before WWDC (with beta), and then the new iPhone was shown at WWDC along with the final build of the OS which would often reiterate the key points of the new OS along with some potential new software features only available on the new iPhone hardware. Then in 2011 they started showing the new OS at WWDC (with beta), followed up a few months later by an iPhone event and the final build of the OS, reiterate key features, and show any features only applicable to the latest iPhone (like Siri).

I know this gets said a lot on forums, but did you honestly even read my post? I put in a chart of dates that you should go fact check before saying I've got it all wrong. The latest iOS is always shown a few months before they release it to the public with a new iPhone. They haven't shown the new iOS yet, so it would seem unlikely that they would launch it in early June. Is this really that difficult to follow? iOS Beta, few months of betas, iOS release alongside new iPhone hardware. It's been that way every year after initial release in 2007. The only thing that changes are absolute dates.

Good posts.

But what do you think of this...

http://www.cultofmac.com/218357/fingerprint-detecting-iphone-5s-to-release-in-july-new-99-iphone-5-will-come-in-multiple-colors-new-casing/

cnev3
Jun 10, 2013, 02:46 PM
Where's my iPhone 5S?

otismotive77
Jun 10, 2013, 05:04 PM
i heard that samsung is also holding an event on June 20th.
if this rumor is true, then it's gonna be an awesome day.

iSir
Jun 11, 2013, 02:49 AM
So is this event even relevant anymore? I haven't heard any news about it.

SILen(e
Jun 11, 2013, 06:49 AM
Of course not, Apple just announced iOS 7 Beta 1 and it will take a few months to get it to a stable Beta 6+.

Releasing an iPhone 5S/6/whatever would be insane without the new and improved look of iOS.

The next iPhone will be released in the fall, a few days after the release of iOS 7.

Just like usual.

blitzer09x87
Jun 11, 2013, 07:56 AM
it wont offer anything extraordinary so it doesn't matter when they release it.
apple should change the iphone's design, iphone's sales will double if apple manages to come up with a great design.

SILen(e
Jun 12, 2013, 06:29 AM
What?

And you only want a different design, not even a LAAAARGER screen? Just different?

Your words don't make any sense, do you really think that Apple's iPhone sales will jump to 60 or 80 (60 = estimated half of last quarters more than 40 million iPhone sales were iPhone 5) by changing something and coming up with some "great design" you don't even care enough about to describe it.