Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hemmick reef

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
I wanted to locate an Adobe Illustrator preference file in my iMac (OSX 10.8.3) with Finder to back-up.

It found the old backup on my desktop but not the current one in:
Users/Name/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator Settings/en_GB/Adobe Illustrator Prefs

I double checked and the file was there.

Why can't finder locate it?

Thanks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I wanted to locate an Adobe Illustrator preference file in my iMac (OSX 10.8.3) with Finder to back-up.
Thanks.

The easiest way to get around this is to go to ~/Library (hit cmd+shift+G) go to that folder. Enter the search string and then select Library for the search location.

OSX chooses not to search hidden or system files as Apple doesn't want you in there any ways.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I double checked and the file was there. Why can't finder locate it?
Are you saying that you know the file exists at that filepath, but Finder search (Spotlight) doesn't find it?
As said, Spotlight doesn't find hidden files or system files like prefs unless you tell it to. You need to include system/hidden files in your search, as shown in the videos. Also many websites should show you "how to include system files in a Spotlight search" if you Google it.

You're manually backing up individual pref files? Why not just use Time Machine or other automated backup process to backup everything?

hemmick reef

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
I found it thanks :)

I was just typing the name into the top right search field. When I tried 'cmd F' it gave me the 'other' options and I found the file.

I am using time machine but I also like to keep a separate backup of Illustrator's preferences etc. up on the cloud.

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.