PDA

View Full Version : [Resolved] New portable on-ears

dastinger
Mar 29, 2013, 10:46 PM
Hey guys,

In 2011 I bought the Audio Technica ATH-WS55 and I absolutely love them. For 100 I think it's an amazing pair of cans. Love the minimal design, weight and sound. They're ok to use at home while using my MBP or listening to some music while on the move but I find them rather big (mainly the curve on the head) to use in the street.

On one hand, I want to buy a nice pair of headphones to go out with but, on the other hand I was looking at 70.. 100 tops (and that is probably too much).

I read about the Noontec Zoro. I only read nice reviews (mainly the InnerFidelity one) but, they were clearly designed to ressemble the Beats and that's exactly what I don't like about them. If it was a more matte finish, I'd probably don't care but they're just too shiny :/ On the other hand, I can get them for like 65 which is amazing for such a good pair of cans.

Anyway, what are your suggestions? Basically I'm looking for portable, on-ear, not too shiny, not too big headphones. BUT, the sound is what matters the most for me. I don't care about style really.. as long as they're confortable and sound really nice.

Thanks guys

PS: If you think that, considering the price, I won't get much better than the Noontec's, just let me know.
PPS: If there was a microphone on the wire, that would be even better :)
PPPS: Just for you to understand what I mean when I say I don't really like the curve on the Audio Technica's refer to the next image (that part sticking out right above 'Left'):

http://www.svalander.se/local/site/images/nytt/2010/audio-technica_ath-ws55i.jpg

I like the headphones to follow the head's curve.

ChrisA
Mar 30, 2013, 07:05 PM
I like the headphones to follow the head's curve.

If you are into style, I notice that many of the kids at the local high school are wearing "Beats". The price is high for what you get but such is the price of fashion.

My opinion. I use the in-ear type when I'm outside. Cheap Sonys. Indoors the AKG studio headphones

dastinger
Mar 31, 2013, 04:44 PM
If you are into style, I notice that many of the kids at the local high school are wearing "Beats". The price is high for what you get but such is the price of fashion.

My opinion. I use the in-ear type when I'm outside. Cheap Sonys. Indoors the AKG studio headphones
Lol, I love when guys like you want to be funny on the interwebz but then lack the ability to read what the guy you're trying to make fun of wrote. I chose the parts of the post that may interest you.. only for you not to try again and look bad :)

I read about the Noontec Zoro. I only read nice reviews (mainly the InnerFidelity one) but, they were clearly designed to ressemble the Beats and that's exactly what I don't like about them. If it was a more matte finish, I'd probably don't care but they're just too shiny :/

BUT, the sound is what matters the most for me. I don't care about style really.. as long as they're confortable and sound really nice.

Not that you deserve any explanation since you didn't even try to help but I'm bald and I shave my head. I'm white too. Now, imagine a bald white guy with a big black headphones sticking out of his head.. it's not even confortable if I'm on the tube/train and want to rest my head against the window or something. And I understand your post since you said you use a cheap Sony's. Not much into sound, then. If you have read, you would know I am.

Thank you for your post and try reading the next time :rolleyes:

bill-p
Mar 31, 2013, 06:44 PM
If you're going for the same quality as your ATH-WS55 (minus the muddy bass), then Audio Technica also made the ATH-ES55. And that one is a good bit smaller.

Or alternatively, if you need bass, and you don't mind a pair of open-back, then the Koss PortaPro is a good contender as well.

Satori
Mar 31, 2013, 07:22 PM
Two more worth considering that have a great sound for the price:

Urbanears Plattan On-Ear Headphone (can be found for as little as 50)
Sol Republic Tracks HD On-Ear Headphones (99 at the AppleStore but quite a bit cheaper on ebay).

I'm not certain that these meet your requirements in terms of size and shape but I thought they were worth putting out there.

D

dastinger
Mar 31, 2013, 09:46 PM
If you're going for the same quality as your ATH-WS55 (minus the muddy bass), then Audio Technica also made the ATH-ES55. And that one is a good bit smaller.

Or alternatively, if you need bass, and you don't mind a pair of open-back, then the Koss PortaPro is a good contender as well.

Two more worth considering that have a great sound for the price:

Urbanears Plattan On-Ear Headphone (can be found for as little as 50)
Sol Republic Tracks HD On-Ear Headphones (99 at the AppleStore but quite a bit cheaper on ebay).

I'm not certain that these meet your requirements in terms of size and shape but I thought they were worth putting out there.

D
Thanks a lot to you both! I'll read some reviews but I'm in love with the way the ES55 looks.

@bill-p

Do you own them? The bass is not that important on portable headphones imo. I don't want them to vibrate on my ears.. as long as the mids and highs are clear and the overall sound is pretty much balanced, it's fine. Just to understand what you mean by "needing bass".. are you saying that the ES55 are not that good regarding bass or...? I just want it to be clear overall.

bill-p
Apr 1, 2013, 04:05 PM
I heard the WS55, and I own the ES55. The ES55 is clearer and cleaner, with obviously more treble.

Bass is more prominent on WS55, but the ES55 is not bad.

When I wrote "need bass", I really meant "need to feel vibrations on your head even on an airplane" sort of bass. But if you're fine with just slightly less than what the WS55 can do, then the ES55 should be good.

dastinger
Apr 1, 2013, 08:19 PM
That's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks a lot for your help! I'm probably gonna buy the ES55.

PS: I looked for reviews and ended up reading yours on another forum. Great review, helped a lot :)