PDA

View Full Version : G5 Quad Case Replacement

Performance-Pcs
Mar 30, 2013, 06:57 AM
Hi all.

Ive got a G5 Quad 2.5 that some ignoramous has decided in a paddy to put his foot through the front of the case. Luckily, he missed th epower button and all associated important bits in his blind rage, so its jsut the case that needs replacing.

My question is that ive got a dead 1.6 Single core G5 with a case in top notch condition. Im pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I wanted to know, would the G5 Quad guts, go into the 1.6 G5 single core?

Thanks all,

Nameci
Mar 30, 2013, 07:13 AM
Hi all.

Ive got a G5 Quad 2.5 that some ignoramous has decided in a paddy to put his foot through the front of the case. Luckily, he missed th epower button and all associated important bits in his blind rage, so its jsut the case that needs replacing.

My question is that ive got a dead 1.6 Single core G5 with a case in top notch condition. Im pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I wanted to know, would the G5 Quad guts, go into the 1.6 G5 single core?

Thanks all,

Yes and no. Easiest, just look for a gutted quad G5 case.

drorpheus
Mar 30, 2013, 07:19 AM
sadly no, the Quad (late 2005) has different mounting/grounding points in the case so the logicboard and power supply wont screw down properly, you can use any of the Late 2005 cases as a replacement so Dualcore 2.0,2.3 or the Quad 2.5 will work, basically the powersupply and cpus are grounded where the others are not and the early cases are missing these standoff posts, it also has the bluetooth/airport antenna built into the case. ebay is your best bet in finding one, should be $50-$80 + shipping.

PART# 620-3425

heres an example

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-PowerMac-G5-2-0Ghz-DC-A1117-Enclosure-Chassis-/111042208194?pt=US_Computer_Cases&hash=item19daa1a1c2