PDA

View Full Version : Can you keep replacement parts?

jamesjingyi
Mar 30, 2013, 04:10 PM
So I took my MacBook Air 11" 2013 order into the Apple store today because the rubber surround was coming off. They didnt have the part in stock so they have ordered one in. I was wondering however whether I would be able to keep the screen? I don't know why but it has a slight sentimental value as the machine was ordered for my 16th birthday. Do you think that they will let me keep it or is it just theirs?

jamesjingyi
Mar 30, 2013, 04:31 PM
Reply please?

stroemp
Mar 30, 2013, 05:09 PM
First of all, don't expect a reply right away. Everyone here who dedicates their time to help others do so because of their mutual love to Apple products.

To answer your question, I'm fairly sure there's a policy about not letting customers keep spare parts, however, maybe if you ask the floor manager and explain why you'd like to keep it they'll make an exception.

jamesjingyi
Mar 30, 2013, 05:12 PM
Sorry to be impatient just because I usually get quite a quick reply :) Im spoilt by the guys here :)

Anyway, does anyone know what happens to the parts? Do they get chucked out or sent back to China to be repaired? It would probably cost more than the part is worth to ship it back and repair it so do they just chuck it away??

stroemp
Mar 30, 2013, 05:16 PM
It depends on the condition of the spare part, if it's somewhat decent it goes to China to be refurbished and used as repair parts in other Airs, otherwise I would assume it goes somewhere to be recycled or just thrown away.

Marv89
Apr 6, 2013, 10:09 PM
They will keep it.

At first, it has still a value when it gets recycled and second, they will need it to negotiate with their suppliers. When it's a part from a supplier, they get the money back from them.
Actually, they just check on what percentage of the broken parts the supplier is responsible for and then negotiate a global quota for all broken parts. Like check 20 broken screens, and 10 of them are broken because of a suppliers fault. So if globally 2.000 screens are broken, the supplier has to pay for 1.000 of them.
Just if you're interested in the details ;)

alexander25
Apr 7, 2013, 10:09 PM
Wtf. You can't be serious..

ColdCase
Apr 7, 2013, 11:01 PM
If its a warranty repair, they keep the parts. If you pay for the repair, you can keep the parts... although there is sometimes an additional "core" charge. There is some gray area for warranted parts that are not recyclable.

You could ask them if you can have or purchase the broken part, but that is an unusual request.... and be prepared for a no.

I have a daughter that refuses to have her slightly defective iPhone replaced because of sentimental value :)