Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
What effect is this? (See attached) The bottles in the background are out of focus, like (bokeh).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-30 at 4.16.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-30 at 4.16.22 PM.png
    255.1 KB · Views: 127
Nov 28, 2010
located
What applications do you have access to?
In PS, those background bottles are on a different layer, thus you can adjust the blur. If it is done in 3D, the application used probably offers DOF capabilities, if it is a real photo, the DOF was made in camera.

righteye

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
London
If i have not done it in camera( or as much as i would have liked) then i mostly use OnOne focal point, i find this to be quick and intuitive once you get used to the focusing bug their word for a graph that overlays the image and be manipulated in a multitude of ways to effect the plane of focus and a brush can be used for touching up areas to be made more or less focused.
Topaz Labs have a thing called lens effects but i find it can take a while to get the finish i want.
I do believe PS CS6 has a good blurring feature but not used it as i'm still on CS5
A quick example below, this image had some depth of field blur anyway but added a bit more so it was obvious what was going on. There many controls that can be adjusted so one ends up with a reasonably authentic looking image.

Attachments

• focal_point_screengrab.jpg
    focal_point_screengrab.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Mac Kiwi

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2003
New Zealand
Make a new channel. { PS }

Make your foreground object white, then say 50% grey for second and black or 0% for rear object.

Go to Filter - Blur - Lens blur and load the channel into the depth map setting.

You get a lot of lens control using this method, although it really depends on your original depth map quality.

You can also try blending your depth map channel with say a radial gradient as well. - Image - Calculations.

It's best to get your depth map from a 3D app in the beginning. But you should be able to do a reasonable cheat bokeh etc on the image you have.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
I have Photoshop 5.5 and 6.0.

Adjust the blur? Where is that?

Use Gaussian Blur in Photoshop.

In a camera (and 3D software) is an optic effect called "Depth of field".

Usually you focus on one object and the lens (depending on the lens) put other objects out of focus... to make long story short.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.