PDA

View Full Version : G5 yearly poer cost

jwjsr
Mar 30, 2013, 11:10 PM
What does it cost me a year to power my g5 dual 2.0 ppc?

alphaod
Mar 30, 2013, 11:25 PM
No idea… how much do you use your computer every day, what do you do, how long do you do this for each day, do you turn it off at night, what peripherals are you running, how much is your electric company charging you per watt hour, do you have alternative power sources… also how do you different what is being by your Mac compared to say the increase in electrical usage due to a hotter day?

There are so many variables, your question is almost impossible to answer.

simsaladimbamba
Mar 30, 2013, 11:33 PM
As already said before, and before my ****** browser crashed due to all the Friendface chat tabs open, this (http://support.apple.com/kb/TA24037) and this (http://www.electricity-usage.com/Electricity-Usage-Calculator.aspx) might be helpful doing your own calculations based on your knowledge of how long the computer will run idle and under full load for how many hours per day or week or month.

Otherwise it is just guessing, thus 1.000 Taler seems to be a good guess as any.

jwjsr
Mar 31, 2013, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the links I should've found myself, narrow minded and lazy.
Anyway if I understand and idle=sleep on idle 24/7 365@165watts x .11 kwh = $158.56 per year just to have it on without using it. Then add some $ for cooling the BTU's and the time it is not asleep/idle then my range is probably 2 to 3 hundred a year?

justperry
Mar 31, 2013, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the links I should've found myself, narrow minded and lazy.
Anyway if I understand and idle=sleep on idle 24/7 365@165watts x .11 kwh = $158.56 per year just to have it on without using it. Then add some $ for cooling the BTU's and the time it is not asleep/idle then my range is probably 2 to 3 hundred a year?

Install an SSD and shutdown instead of sleeping, this will initially cost you a bit although SSD's aren't that expensive anymore.
Startup takes mere seconds, you'll safe quite a bit by doing this and,as an extra, it is greener.:)

Edit: Just realised it's ppc but even on a ppc it should make a difference.

jwjsr
Mar 31, 2013, 08:59 AM
As others have noted that probably rules out repurposing it as a media server. Synology DS212j. 17.6W (Access); 5.5W (HDD Hibernation); I figure would cost $7.20 per year on 24/7 hibernating 20hrs per day, access for 4hours per day. Anybody wanna trade a synology for a Mac Pro g5ppc?

justperry
Mar 31, 2013, 09:05 AM
As others have noted that probably rules out repurposing it as a media server. Synology DS212j. 17.6W (Access); 5.5W (HDD Hibernation); I figure would cost $7.20 per year on 24/7 hibernating 20hrs per day, access for 4hours per day. Anybody wanna trade a synology for a Mac Pro g5ppc?

For the money you would have spend on electricity in a year you could almost buy a new base Mac Mini and use that as a server, or a 2010-11 model, refurb could also be an option.

jwjsr
Mar 31, 2013, 09:08 AM
Install an SSD and shutdown instead of sleeping, this will initially cost you a bit although SSD's aren't that expensive anymore.
Startup takes mere seconds, you'll safe quite a bit by doing this and,as an extra, it is greener.:)

Edit: Just realised it's ppc but even on a ppc it should make a difference.
Your suggestion would save me $200 per year!

jwjsr
Mar 31, 2013, 09:39 AM
For the money you would have spend on electricity in a year you could almost buy a new base Mac Mini and use that as a server, or a 2010-11 model, refurb could also be an option.

I have a 2012 i7 2.3 w/DIY fusion 1TB/240gb with win8 under parallels and am the only user so I am not quite sure why I want/need a synology or a separate mediaserver except that I need backup and hear good things about the synology software.
I've been checking out media server apps-twonky ps3ms, play me etc with an oppo 103. So far having trouble searching for specific artists or titles

----------

Your suggestion would save me $200 per year!

I just had to get up off the sofa and turn the g5 off.lol!