PDA

View Full Version : 60 FPS BluRay, 60 Hz screen?

2Turbo
Mar 31, 2013, 12:54 AM
I hear the MBA screen is 60 Hz which should display 60 FPS properly, but I'm a little confused. Is the screen capable of doing this without stuttering or freezing?

I have a 60 FPS movie thats 40 GB .mkv file. In VLC it plays slow/choppy. Could it be the GPU/CPU is too slow? (Mid 2012 Intel HD 4000)

Stingray454
Mar 31, 2013, 02:25 AM
40gb sounds large, what resolution is it? Is the file located on the computer or are you playing over a network? A 40gb file would probably stutter a lot if played from a source other than a local harddrive.

Even though an Air should be able to handle it (I've played lots of 1080p movies on my air), I don't think VLC supports hardware decoding, so that might be why it's a bit stuttering. You could always try Plex for example.

phrehdd
Mar 31, 2013, 03:38 AM
40gb sounds large, what resolution is it? Is the file located on the computer or are you playing over a network? A 40gb file would probably stutter a lot if played from a source other than a local harddrive.

Even though an Air should be able to handle it (I've played lots of 1080p movies on my air), I don't think VLC supports hardware decoding, so that might be why it's a bit stuttering. You could always try Plex for example.

I would second trying Plex or XBMC and see how mkv file plays. It is not typical to see 60 frames but at least in the States - 23.x (24) or 29.x (30).
The doubled frames might account for the larger file as well as unused streams within.

2Turbo
Mar 31, 2013, 01:02 PM
I did install a beta VLC with GPU decoding and it helped but still a little blocky on fast parts and overall not up to speed. It's 1080p 60 FPS (verified in VLC media info tab). Also, I'm playing it from an external USB 3 HDD. Can't see how that'd be the problem as there should be enough bandwidth, right?

I'll try plex and see what happens. I heard VLC has a problem with 60 FPS (http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=100663) even on windows.

blueroom
Mar 31, 2013, 02:34 PM
USB 3.0 has fairly high CPU overhead. Copy the file to the local drive to see if this is the culprit.