Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ojm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
hi, ive been searching on the interent how to speed up my mac and it said i should clear my 'library cache' folder in Finder but when i search for the folder it says : this folder cannot be found.

can you help me find it?

thanks

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Don't, it won't make the Mac faster, in fact the first startup after cleaning will be slower.
Mac OS X does not normally get slower, if that is the case the problems are almost always somewhere else like too little RAM.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
hi, ive been searching on the interent how to speed up my mac and it said i should clear my 'library cache' folder in Finder but when i search for the folder it says : this folder cannot be found.

can you help me find it?

thanks

The folder you are looking for is ~/Library/Caches. Click the Desktop to bring focus to the Finder then hit shift-command-g (all three at once). Then paste the line below into the box and hit enter.

Code:
~/Library/Caches

If you look through there you will see a cache section for most of your apps. If you like you can delete the cache for apps you no longer have.

If you delete the cache for an app you still use, the app will just launch a bit slower the first time you use it since the cache gets rebuilt.

If you aren't having any problems though, deleting this cache is not likely to speed things up or make any difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.