PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard compatability for G5?

flyinhigh
Mar 31, 2013, 03:40 PM
My keyboard has started to malfunction on certain keys. It's the 2nd keyboard I've had to purchase. Before I buy a 3rd: Whats the limit on keyboard compatability for the G5? Can i use an aluminium usb connected keyboard on my G5? Advice appreciated.:)

eyoungren
Mar 31, 2013, 04:00 PM
My keyboard has started to malfunction on certain keys. It's the 2nd keyboard I've had to purchase. Before I buy a 3rd: Whats the limit on keyboard compatability for the G5? Can i use an aluminium usb connected keyboard on my G5? Advice appreciated.:)
If you mean a wired aluminum keyboard I would assume so. I say that because at work our circa 1999 G4 is currently using a wired aluminum keyboard. That Mac is on 10.5.8. You may be limited to certain functions only from an OS standpoint.

You could probably use one of the aluminum BT keyboards too. Also, keep in mind that Apple sold two versions of the aluminum keyboards (wired and wireless). There is the full size and there is the standard size. The difference between the two is more F keys and the presence of an FN key. The standard keyboard has the FN key. It serves the same purpose as the FN key on Mac laptops.

jwjsr
Mar 31, 2013, 04:33 PM
I use a wired Apple aluminum keyboard on my g5 ppc, but can't say whether I lose any functionality because I mostly use a mouse or trackpad

Goftrey
Mar 31, 2013, 05:05 PM
Yep - I used the wired aluminium keyboard on my G5. The function keys like play, forward, back, dashboard, expose, eject and volume worked fine.

MisterKeeks
Mar 31, 2013, 05:36 PM
Yep - I used the wired aluminium keyboard on my G5. The function keys like play, forward, back, dashboard, expose, eject and volume worked fine.

There were different versions. Mine's for Lion, and I haven't bothered to remap it, so it works OKish.

Goftrey
Mar 31, 2013, 06:10 PM
There were different versions. Mine's for Lion, and I haven't bothered to remap it, so it works OKish.

Hence why I said expose, instead of Mission Control.

MisterKeeks
Mar 31, 2013, 06:13 PM
Hence why I said expose, instead of Mission Control.

I mean that some keys aren't mapped right at all (F12 has the Volume icon, but goes to Dashboard).

Goftrey
Mar 31, 2013, 06:43 PM
I mean that some keys aren't mapped right at all (F12 has the Volume icon, but goes to Dashboard).

Oh right, wasn't aware of that. I thought you were on about the little Mission Control/Launchpad symbols that are shipped with the new keyboards. Sorry.

hansolo669
Mar 31, 2013, 06:49 PM
Its USB. Literally any USB keyboard can be used with any USB capable computer. Your mac will even detect and use a windows keyboard.

MisterKeeks
Mar 31, 2013, 08:39 PM
Oh right, wasn't aware of that. I thought you were on about the little Mission Control/Launchpad symbols that are shipped with the new keyboards. Sorry.

Don't worry, be happy.

CptSky
Apr 1, 2013, 09:16 AM
I use the bluetooth keyboard with my G5. Except for few buttons (like play/stop/etc, the eject one works), everything work fine. Idem for my Magic Mouse.

flyinhigh
Apr 2, 2013, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the helpful advice one and all. Great thing about posting here is how much you can learn from others. Appreciated.

minifridge1138
Apr 2, 2013, 05:18 PM
There are 2 versions of the Apple Wired Aluminum Keyboard.
The first version (has an A in the SN) works great with 10.5. All of the shortcut/function keys do exactly what they are supposed to do.

The second version (has a B in the SN and came out after Lion) does work, but some of the function keys don't work correctly.

And as already said, any USB keyboard will work. I'm currently using one with ALT and Windows keys. Some of the special buttons still work (volume and sleep, etc)...

RedCroissant
Apr 2, 2013, 08:01 PM

I don't know about anyone else here, but I was using my wife's Apple wireless keyboard with my iBook G4 with no problems at all. The only issue I have is that my kids like to find stuff that's not attached to ahything and then throw it somewhere else.

rjcalifornia
Apr 2, 2013, 10:25 PM

My sister was originally using a windows keyboard but now she bought a generic mac os compatible keyboard, which has all the keys with no issues