Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pandalorian

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2012
The antarctic
Hello,

I've been looking for an old Power Mac G4 for a while, mainly for use as a media center (storing all my music and movies and keeping Home Sharing up) and also to use some old PPC games and apps that I'm unable to run on my Intel machines. I've looked on eBay, Amazon, and some third party resellers, and prices for different models go from $60 to over $400, and I'm not sure what a realistic asking price is for one at this point in time, versus what would be too much, or too good to be true. I'd like to have either a Quicksilver or a Sawtooth, but the ones I've seen online have contradictory specs and extremely varying prices. Does anyone have an idea about where I could find a reliable place to get one, and around how much I would pay?

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Anything more than $100 should be a red flag no go. People are insane about asking $300-500 dollars and calling them PowerMac pros.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
We have two Sawtooths at work. One G4/400 PCI and one G4/450 AGP. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for the 400 and $60 for the 450.

Just as a reference for you. eBay is still probably your best bet. Any online retailer is going to rip you a new one in price just because they can.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
Hello,

I've been looking for an old Power Mac G4 for a while, mainly for use as a media center (storing all my music and movies and keeping Home Sharing up) and also to use some old PPC games and apps that I'm unable to run on my Intel machines. I've looked on eBay, Amazon, and some third party resellers, and prices for different models go from $60 to over $400, and I'm not sure what a realistic asking price is for one at this point in time, versus what would be too much, or too good to be true. I'd like to have either a Quicksilver or a Sawtooth, but the ones I've seen online have contradictory specs and extremely varying prices. Does anyone have an idea about where I could find a reliable place to get one, and around how much I would pay?

It's entirely up to you as to how much you're willing to spend. If I really wanted one, I still wouldn't feel comfortable spending more than $100. I'd check out my local Craig's List where there are usually a few around a hundred bucks. I'd also be able to take it for a test drive before purchasing.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
I would look at places like craigslist/ kijiji. Try and stay local, shipping usually costs more than the value of the machines

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
I never owned an MDD. I have always wanted one, but could never make it happen. I think a dual 1.25 with 2GB RAM would be a nice system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.