PDA

View Full Version : just got new 15" PB, few questions

rick98761
Oct 21, 2005, 08:52 PM
This is the second Mac I have owned, so I have never migrated toa new computer. I cant use the migration tool because I dont have a firewire cable. I just want to copy over my keychain, as I have alot of passwords there I dont even remember. Any help would be appreciated. (or advice on how to run the migration tool over a network)

Duff-Man
Oct 22, 2005, 12:36 AM
Duff-Man says...I would guess that if you can afford another PB you can afford the <$10 a firewire cable would cost you...why not just keep it simple and go buy one, then use the migration tool. Not only will you save tons of time resetting all your prefs for every program but sooner or later you will probably be glad you had the cable anyway....oh yeah!

datoby
Oct 22, 2005, 07:59 AM
Can anyone start vlc and click about. is there still the whining noise on the new pbooks?

Jay42
Oct 22, 2005, 08:04 AM
Wow, I've never heard that whining thing (I have an old PB). That's weird.

I Second the FireWire Transfers.

Bear
Oct 22, 2005, 08:38 AM
You could always burn stuff to CD-R or CD-RW.

datoby
Oct 22, 2005, 08:42 AM
hmm the whining comes only when the energy settings aren't set to "bettery battery life". the same problem is with vncviewer when an connection is opened. I hope the new powerbooks won't whine.

realityisterror
Oct 22, 2005, 04:38 PM
I should think that you can just copy Users/username/Library/Keychains to the same place on the new computer, log out, log in, and have everything work as expected.

Whenever I get my PB, I plan on connecting the computers with an Ethernet cable and just copy the entire home folder to the new computer, replacing everything. It'll take awhile over Ethernet, but what can I say? I'm cheap. :P

reality