PDA

View Full Version : [Resolved] PowerMac G3 AIO 266 for donation

phoenixsan
Apr 1, 2013, 02:51 AM
Hello all...!

So I got a hold in a trusty G3 AIO 266. Cleaned it, upgraded the RAM to 512 and check it thoroughly. And I want to donate it to a small school, where basically would be used for Office stuff, Web surfing and playing music (all of that from light o medium use). So, I come here seeking help/advice in three separated issues:

1-What versions are the minimum and maximum of MS Office capable of run in this machine.

2- Suggestions on software to surf the Web/playing music

3- I want to add a PCI card with USB ports. Can anyone give me some advice about it?

As always, I thank you in advance for the advice/help/pointers

:):apple:

MisterKeeks
Apr 1, 2013, 08:24 PM
1-What versions are the minimum and maximum of MS Office capable of run in this machine.

That supports up to Office 2004.
2- Suggestions on software to surf the Web/playing music

Depends on what OS you use. If you do the default max, 10.2, I don't know, but your options are limited. iTunes should work. If you XPostFacto it, you might be able to push it to Tiger, but it might hurt. On Tiger, iTunes 8.2.1 is the last officially supported version, 9.2.1 would work, but there is a hardware limitation preventing the G3 from using some features (don't know which). As for web browsing, I've used Tenfourfox which is awesome, but you might want to try tenfourkit as well, though I haven't tried it.

phoenixsan
Apr 1, 2013, 10:26 PM
That supports up to Office 2004.

Depends on what OS you use. If you do the default max, 10.2, I don't know, but your options are limited. iTunes should work. If you XPostFacto it, you might be able to push it to Tiger, but it might hurt. On Tiger, iTunes 8.2.1 is the last officially supported version, 9.2.1 would work, but there is a hardware limitation preventing the G3 from using some features (don't know which). As for web browsing, I've used Tenfourfox which is awesome, but you might want to try tenfourkit as well, though I haven't tried it.

MisterKeeks. The info about the version of Office will be useful, because I have 2 o 3 legit copies sitting in some part of my house.....:D And is very helpful to know I can donate the machine with an Office version I currently have/own.

goMac
Apr 2, 2013, 04:00 PM
So I got a hold in a trusty G3 AIO 266. Cleaned it, upgraded the RAM to 512 and check it thoroughly. And I want to donate it to a small school, where basically would be used for Office stuff, Web surfing and playing music (all of that from light o medium use). So, I come here seeking help/advice in three separated issues:

I'd check with the school first (if you haven't.) I used to work in school IT, and depending on the machines, we could really hate this sort of thing. Sometimes people would drop off old machines way out of our support range and not compatible with our network. Because we couldn't deploy it or support it, we would have to pay to dispose of it, turning it into an anti-donation.

For schools with little tech, it could be a good thing, but if a school already has it's fill of computers and existing support plans, it's not worth the time for the staff to check over the machine and try and getting it working on whatever systems, not including the support time when teachers have questions. Not saying a school might not appreciate it, but please do check first with the school IT!

skateny
Apr 2, 2013, 04:13 PM
I'd check with the school first (if you haven't.) I used to work in school IT, and depending on the machines, we could really hate this sort of thing. Sometimes people would drop off old machines way out of our support range and not compatible with our network. Because we couldn't deploy it or support it, we would have to pay to dispose of it, turning it into an anti-donation.

For schools with little tech, it could be a good thing, but if a school already has it's fill of computers and existing support plans, it's not worth the time for the staff to check over the machine and try and getting it working on whatever systems, not including the support time when teachers have questions. Not saying a school might not appreciate it, but please do check first with the school IT!

True. And a good point.

In this day and age, facilities such as schools, libraries and hospitals are rarely technology challenged. Schools typically have IT budgets that are handled on an administrative level that rarely allows for direct donations of the sort the OP seems to be considering. Even then, their IT budgets need to be depleted each year in order to ensure that they receive equivalent funding or better the next time around.

Many hospitals, nursing facilities and medical rehabilitation centers supply laptops for patients/residents, or have computers available for patient use on each unit. Maintenance for older rigs is often beyond their IT's ability or interest.

A more likely beneficiary for this kind of donation might be facilities like the Salvation Army, day treatment programs for people with severe psychiatric/developmental disabilities or places that offer volunteer services, most of which do not have a discrete IT budget beyond minimal appropriations for staff.

phoenixsan
Apr 7, 2013, 11:12 PM
for pointing me out about other opportunities to give. Really want to donate the AIO to the school. Being rural and a place a work for 3 Mac computers amateurs, friends of mine make me biased towards them. But I can see the wisdom in donate to more sensitive groups/persons.

Thanks again for the input. Waiting to read more about your opinions and my original questions.

Hrududu
Apr 8, 2013, 01:22 AM
I'd go Mac OS 9.2.2 and MS Office 2001 for maximum usability. Install Classilla and iTunes 2.0.4 for your internet and music and you've got a great little machine there. (I use a few setups just like this every day). As for USB, try and find a Belkin USB 1.1 card somewhere. USB 2.0 isn't supported on that thing if I recall correctly.

phoenixsan
Apr 9, 2013, 06:33 PM
I'd go Mac OS 9.2.2 and MS Office 2001 for maximum usability. Install Classilla and iTunes 2.0.4 for your internet and music and you've got a great little machine there. (I use a few setups just like this every day). As for USB, try and find a Belkin USB 1.1 card somewhere. USB 2.0 isn't supported on that thing if I recall correctly.

Hrududu...:D

I was hoping to use Mac OS X 10.2.8 Good suggestion about the Belkin card. I am not hoping for USB 2.2, but 1.1 will be nice for connectivity.

Thanks again...!

spyguy10709
Apr 10, 2013, 03:26 PM

I was hoping to use Mac OS X 10.2.8 Good suggestion about the Belkin card. I am not hoping for USB 2.2, but 1.1 will be nice for connectivity.

Thanks again...!

The G3 AIOs are really rare.

If you want to do the most good - sell the AIO and buy a FAST eMac with the money you get from it.

I've seen AIOs fetch between 150-200 bucks.

phoenixsan
Apr 10, 2013, 04:58 PM
The G3 AIOs are really rare.

If you want to do the most good - sell the AIO and buy a FAST eMac with the money you get from it.

I've seen AIOs fetch between 150-200 bucks.

a good solution. Seems like the eMac can serve better to the recipients of the donation. Would explore about prices and how much I can get. But appreciate the advice.

Hrududu
Apr 10, 2013, 05:09 PM

Thanks again...!

I'll be honest, Jaguar is a TERRIBLE version of Mac OS. If anything, get hack Panther onto it. Jaguar is terribly slow and has just about as little App support as 10.1 has at this point. Honestly, 9 will run much faster and with Classilla, has better internet support than anything you're going to find with Jaguar. These days its either 9.2, 10.4, or 10.5 with just about any system I work on.

Lil Chillbil
Apr 10, 2013, 06:15 PM
I'll be honest, Jaguar is a TERRIBLE version of Mac OS. If anything, get hack Panther onto it. Jaguar is terribly slow and has just about as little App support as 10.1 has at this point. Honestly, 9 will run much faster and with Classilla, has better internet support than anything you're going to find with Jaguar. These days its either 9.2, 10.4, or 10.5 with just about any system I work on.

My experience with early 2012 when I was running jaguar was that Safari worked pretty decently quick, but it loaded the web pages wrong, as does panther. When I was using a Imac g3 as my main machine

Sad to say it but even tiger will be useless in about 6 months, quickly followed by leopard in early 2014. Snow on the other hand will remain a very useful and browser supported os for years to come

MisterKeeks
Apr 10, 2013, 07:29 PM
Sad to say it but even tiger will be useless in about 6 months

No, it won't.

chrfr
Apr 10, 2013, 08:02 PM
a good solution. Seems like the eMac can serve better to the recipients of the donation. Would explore about prices and how much I can get. But appreciate the advice.

Before you spend money on a computer to donate, why not ask the school what would be useful for them? You may find that anything PowerPC is of no value to the school.

goMac
Apr 10, 2013, 08:29 PM

If I was still an IT guy, and someone donated an G3 AIO running Jaguar or Panther, I'd probably stab myself in the face with a rusty fork. Both were not great to administer.

Keep in mind, depending on the school, they're probably only going to support certain software, so debating on what software to preinstall may not be useful if they'd just wipe the thing and image it anyway.

Plus, remember, if you're going to pre-install Office 2001, that's not probably kosher with the license and schools get nailed all the time for that sort of thing. Just because it's a school doesn't mean you can fill the thing up with software they don't have licenses for.

It's a really cool machine, I get it. I used to admin them back in the day and they were tanks. But by the time I left IT, we were throwing machines in the trash that were a lot newer. So I get the whole cool factor. But it's a school, kids are there to learn, and a machine that can't even browse a modern Flash site or open a current Word document format is fun for no one.

phoenixsan
Apr 10, 2013, 09:16 PM
but want to clarify:

a)- Is not the school per se the recipient of the donation. Rather, 3 acquantainces of me, fond of old and classic Macs. So, seemed to me a nice gesture to pass it a machine I got almost free. So, I am not worried for licenses, support or the like. Only hopes to give something that appears to be useful still. No donating a Classic or a SE-30....:o

b)- Really wants the thing to be stable. I ran 10.2.8 long time ago and dont seems to me too slow. But I could be wrong. Anyway, the 9.2 Classic version have in the moment a lot of support. So maybe I can dig it more to see how implement the OS side of the equation.

c)-Sounds interesting to me the option of selling the AIO and getting something not too old for my acquaintances. Would explore eBay to see some deals to buy and sell.

I appreciate and thanks all the comments. Really dont want to put the burden in anybody with donations that bothers more than helps....:(

phoenixsan
Apr 17, 2013, 12:52 AM

and got in eBay a Belkin Dual USB 1.1 PCI Interface Card with 2 USB 1.1 ports for $20.00 or something (shipping and taxes included). Give to my acquaitances and seems to be working fine.

Thanks all for the pointers/help and advice.