PDA

View Full Version : I'm probably getting my new iBook tomorrow, need a few tips.

slooksterPSV
Oct 22, 2005, 12:09 AM
Ok, this is like my first brand new, up to date computer. See my siggy to see what kind of iBook I'm getting. Yes it's the 12" one.
1 - The Battery -
Ok here's how I understand it, you plug it all in, charge up the battery to its fullest and then use it till it goes into deep sleep. There ya go, its been configured. But here's my question, how can I keep the maximum number of hours on it? Do I keep it plugged in, or whenever I can, use the battery, or do I just unplug it when I'm not using it (in sleep mode or off).

2 - Updates -
My iBook will only come with 10.4 right? No 10.4.2. I just know it will. I'll keep updating everything, and repairing permissions right after. Good huh?

3 - AppleCare -
How long, if I don't buy AppleCare with the iBook, do I have to purchase AppleCare? I need to know this considering I know about the logic board problems with the old old old G3's (the one I'm on). Screen issues, etc. I know these things happen, and any other company would say, too bad, shouldn't have bought our product. Apple, though, will help you out in any way they can.

4 - Care Products -
I know with the Apple Cinema monitors (20", 23", 30") they give you a shammy pad type thingy that you can use to clean the screen. Is this included with the iBook? Also, how can I keep the cosmetic look of my iBook in good condition.

5 - CDROM Drive -
Now I know it comes standard with CD-R/W Drive (and the 14" with DVD-R/W Drive), but do the slot loading drives have a thing where you can put a pin in to eject a cd or that like the tray drives? I'm just saying what if the drive failed to give you the CDROM (holding mouse button, F12 - on startup)?

6 - Extra installtion -
Do I have to install iLife on my own, or is it pre-installed? I hope the latter.

I'll post more if I have anymore. Thanks you guys. I'm so excited.

crazzyeddie
Oct 22, 2005, 12:33 AM
1- Do that process once per month.

2- Yep, just use Software Update.

3- You should be fine, and if you decide to buy it later, you have a full year to purchase it.

4- No. Buy iKlear from http://eshop.macsales.com/.

5- Yes. You can manually eject a disc. Usually just holding the mouse button at startup works if your disc gets stuck.

6- Pre-installed, but you can always install it later if you decide to do a clean install.

mad jew
Oct 22, 2005, 12:36 AM
Ok, this is like my first brand new, up to date computer. See my siggy to see what kind of iBook I'm getting. Yes it's the 12" one.

Yay. :D

1 - The Battery -
Ok here's how I understand it, you plug it all in, charge up the battery to its fullest and then use it till it goes into deep sleep. There ya go, its been configured. But here's my question, how can I keep the maximum number of hours on it? Do I keep it plugged in, or whenever I can, use the battery, or do I just unplug it when I'm not using it (in sleep mode or off).

Yep, you've got the first bit right. As for continuing your maintenance, and prolonging longevity, you'll want to use it plugged in most of the time if possible but you need to keep the juices moist in the battery (well, you get the idea) so it must be discharged completely every month or so. The jury's still out as to whether this means running it fully down to sleep or whether this means using the equivalent of a full charge between plugging it into the wall. I figure you may as well discharge it fully. Better safe than sorry. :)

2 - Updates -
My iBook will only come with 10.4 right? No 10.4.2. I just know it will. I'll keep updating everything, and repairing permissions right after. Good huh?

Permissions really should be fine. Some people like to reinstall their OS as soon as they get it but I don't think it's really necessary. It doesn't take long though, so feel free to do so. As for what it'll come with, I'm guessing 10.4.2 but I could be wrong. I usually am, it's a bad habit of mine. :(

3 - AppleCare -
How long, if I don't buy AppleCare with the iBook, do I have to purchase AppleCare? I need to know this considering I know about the logic board problems with the old old old G3's (the one I'm on). Screen issues, etc. I know these things happen, and any other company would say, too bad, shouldn't have bought our product. Apple, though, will help you out in any way they can.

You have the entire first year to purchase AppleCare. I don't personally have it because I think that most problems will pop up in that twelve months and if not then it's a good excuse to buy another Mac. Obviously there is still a good argument for getting it though. Maybe give it six months before deciding.

4 - Care Products -
I know with the Apple Cinema monitors (20", 23", 30") they give you a shammy pad type thingy that you can use to clean the screen. Is this included with the iBook? Also, how can I keep the cosmetic look of my iBook in good condition.

I didn't get anything to clean my iBook's screen. I use Windex and old underwear to clean my iBook (screen and plastic) but I am mad! The Windex takes off the protective coating on the LCD. I have had no problems in my two years using it though.

5 - CDROM Drive -
Now I know it comes standard with CD-R/W Drive (and the 14" with DVD-R/W Drive), but do the slot loading drives have a thing where you can put a pin in to eject a cd or that like the tray drives? I'm just saying what if the drive failed to give you the CDROM (holding mouse button, F12 - on startup)?

I can't find a pinhole on mine. I very rarely get stuck disks too, but when they do occur I just do the mouse button/restart thing and it's never failed me. :)

6 - Extra installtion -
Do I have to install iLife on my own, or is it pre-installed? I hope the latter.

It will be pre-installed. iDVD almost certainly won't be though.

Bad_JuJu
Oct 22, 2005, 02:08 AM
The once a month battery thing is really just to calibrate the prediction curve for the low power warning and that little battery meter. Do it if you want to - probably ok just to do it occasionally

Bottom line is that the new LiOn batteries or Nickle-Metal-Hydride batteries like to be on the charger when they can - and don't like to be run down to the ground all the time

Voidness
Oct 22, 2005, 04:18 AM
As an owner of the most recent iBook rev, Iíll answer your questions:

1- Yes, you must do that process the first time you use your iBook (And the first week of using it). Then do it every month or so.

2- The iBook comes with 10.4.2. 10.4.3 should be coming soon though.

3- I didn't buy AppleCare, so I don't know about it :p

4- I'm using special LCD cleaning gel (which I bought from Wal-Mart, I think it was Panasonic) to clean the LCD regularly. DON'T use Windex, as it'll kill your LCD. As for the look of your iBook, it'll get scratched easily no matter what you do (you could try using IceCreme from Radtech http://www.radtech.us/Products/Icecreme.aspx). Also, the iBook's trackpad tends to wear in the first few days (meaning that it'll seem smooth in the middle, because of the friction) Try looking for a trackpad protector or something.

5- There's no place for a pin, just keep holding the trackpad's button when you start up.

6- Everything's preinstalled, even iDVD on the 12" iBook. Since you can export a project from iMovie to iDVD then make a DVD Image to burn on another computer.

Last note, get a bigger hard drive for the 12", it'll only cost you 50$ for 60 GB. if you get the standard 40 GB, you'll find almost half of it filled with Apps! :eek:

slooksterPSV
Oct 22, 2005, 05:23 PM
I Got An Ibook, Alright, Wooo Hooo, See Siggy!!!

OutThere
Oct 22, 2005, 06:16 PM
If you're going to carry it in a bag of some type, make sure you have a soft cloth wrapper for it, or the bag has a special pocket for laptops.

The battery will get old after a couple of years, not a whole lot you can do about it, just don't run it dry day after day after day.

QCassidy352
Oct 22, 2005, 06:28 PM
I've had 2 ibooks with the off-white interior. In both cases, they've gotten some degree of smudging/discoloration on the wrist rest area, and once it's there, it's really hard to clean. So if that matters to you, make sure you always use the ibook with clean hands.

Also, if you want to prevent external scratching, make sure to always carry the ibook in a soft casing. I put mine in a backpack with a laptop slot for one day and it got some little scuffs on the top of the case. Now I always have it in a sleeve inside the backpack.

slooksterPSV
Oct 22, 2005, 06:28 PM
I have a carrying bag I got for FREE off the internet.

--Note I kinda don't like this forum a bit now bc my all caps words go lower case. :( I was so excited and I put everything in caps and its like NO you have to go to small case.

devilot
Oct 22, 2005, 06:47 PM
I have a carrying bag I got for FREE off the internet.

--Note I kinda don't like this forum a bit now bc my all caps words go lower case. :( I was so excited and I put everything in caps and its like NO you have to go to small case.That's because a ton of members detest seeing thread titles in ALL C4P5!!1!11!!! sUX0rRRrS!!11!!1

OutThere
Oct 22, 2005, 07:01 PM
I've had 2 ibooks with the off-white interior. In both cases, they've gotten some degree of smudging/discoloration on the wrist rest area, and once it's there, it's really hard to clean. So if that matters to you, make sure you always use the ibook with clean hands.

A http://housekeeping.about.com/od/productreviews/gr/mrcleanmagicer.htm works wonders! :-)

Preventative cleaning (clean hands, cleaning once every week or two weeks) will get you very far as well.

On another note:

ZOMGZZ DEVILOT HOW DID U GET DOZE KAPZ IN DIS FRUMZ???////

Oh, I see, the shift key works wonders...:p

slooksterPSV
Oct 22, 2005, 08:07 PM
That's because a ton of members detest seeing thread titles in ALL C4P5!!1!11!!! sUX0rRRrS!!11!!1
THIS IS A SENTENCE THAT IS ALL CAPITALIZED
Not in the title, but the post, like if I were to do this all in caps... Ya know what the stuff above this that I do in all caps, see how it uncapitalized it?

Wow that DIDN'T WORK wonder why? I kept it???