Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
There is a lot of talk that this last wave of PowerBook updates will be the last of the G4 line. That doesn't make much sense to me. While the new displays are nice and the better hard drives are very useful, the DDR2 update seems mostly for show right now. Now, the redesign of the motherboard for these new features might have been a leftover from the G4 development leading up to the decision to move to Intel, but what I think is that Apple is just paving the way for a few more low maintenance upgrades in the next few months.

All the tricks Apple had in the pipe for G4 development that won't fly with the Intels will have to be flushed before the PowerBooks cross over. DDR2 and display updates are just groundwork. New chips have got to be coming, and dual-core might not be out of the picture just yet. Apple might be shoring up inventory so it can roll out one (or two) speed bumps between now and the Intels. Its good insurance too; should the Intels be delayed for any reason, they can just pop in one of there hidden reserve chips, satisfy the community for a few more weeks, and not waste any development resources.

Still, I would rather Apple call it quits for the G4 right now so I won't feel bad about upgrading next week. That way they can shift their entire laptop division to Intel development and let the PowerBook G4 fend for itself. The G4 will be sacrificed on the altar of the Mactels. All for the greater good. :eek:

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I really doubt Apple is going to sink a bunch of research and engineering $$$ into the making dual core G4 PBs.

It just doesn't make sense, unless they can not / do not have available to them the right intel processor to put into the PB.

I don't think well see Intel PBs until July '06, and Im not convinced the current PBs can last till then. Well see.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
I think it's likely that we'll see Jobs announce something at the Mac World San Francisco Expo in January. He's got to say something to keep our attention.

I really do hope we'll see Intel PowerBooks well before July 2006. I have a revision A 12" PowerBook G4 with a 867Mhz processor. I really, really want to upgrade!

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2004
Madison, WI
I would be pretty surprised to see dual core G4's in Powerbooks. It would take so much excitement away from the intel release.

tsaxer

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2004
Tuscaloosa, AL
Ain't that the truth. But still, I would love to see it, I am still unconviced about the early intels, since the decision was largely economic rather than performance based. I have no doubt that it will eventually be great, but I'll be holding off on the Rev A's. On the other hand, if there were the Dual-cores, I wouldn't be worried at all.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I highly doubt it. The "Yonah" is already the processor everyone is anticipating, or at least I am. It will give us the same performance of a dual-core PowerPC chip, but at better temps. I'll take that over a hot lap anyday. ;)

Henri Gaudier

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2005
France
Judging by the lack of ambition shown in this latest revision I would guess it is the last G4. The powerbook has been an expensive joke for a couple of years and they still call it a "powerhouse" computer! It's a shame. I was hoping for a variety of Freescale dual cores that would have meant a viable portable for a few years to get over the Rev A & B intel Macs that will be *******.

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
Henri Gaudier said:
Judging by the lack of ambition shown in this latest revision I would guess it is the last G4. The powerbook has been an expensive joke for a couple of years and they still call it a "powerhouse" computer! It's a shame. I was hoping for a variety of Freescale dual cores that would have meant a viable portable for a few years to get over the Rev A & B intel Macs that will be *******.

But PowerBooks have been behind for a long time already, and these updates aren't enough to counter that. If we don't see any more changes to the PowerBook line until the Intels arrive next summer... Things could be rough for mobile power users.

I thought it would make sense for Apple to have at least one speed upgrade in the wings so that the time between now and the Mactel's arrival isn't a total drought. Dual-cores might be a pipe dream, but a few megahertz shouldn't be out of the question. I mean, there weren't any real gains made with this last upgrade! What has Freescale been up to in the last year?! There has got to be at least one pin-compatible PPC chip left. There has to be, right? :confused:

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
gammamonk said:
I would be pretty surprised to see dual core G4's in Powerbooks. It would take so much excitement away from the intel release.

I agree... it just doesn't make sense. This is Apple's holiday lineup, next year is Intel. The only dual-core that could even possibly make it into the PowerBook is the MPC8641D, which is so radically different from the current chips that it would require a complete overhaul. The latest revision seems to indicate this... they were planning on a true DDR2 implementation and possibly PCIe for the new PPC chips, but we got this instead.

Henri Gaudier said:
The powerbook has been an expensive joke for a couple of years and they still call it a "powerhouse" computer! It's a shame.

It may not be a powerhouse like the G5 but it still holds it own... considering its form factor it is still an amazing machine I think.

physics_gopher said:
I mean, there weren't any real gains made with this last upgrade! What has Freescale been up to in the last year?! There has got to be at least one pin-compatible PPC chip left. There has to be, right?

Of course! A lot of us including myself were hoping for the MPC7448 which is a pin-for-pin replacement for the 7447A... with a 200MHz bus and possibly 1.8GHz; but it's in production now. If Apple did one last update I think it would be this.

If a dual-core was released I would upgrade immediately though. :)

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
I would really doubt it. I was actually quite suprised to even see the current PowerBook redesign so close to the intel switch. I guess they needed something before the switch, but I really don't a major proc. change right now would be cost effective. This is probably why there were no new proc. upgrades a few weeks ago. Just too much development/engineering/production costs to make it worth while. Remember, Apple's a business first, no matter what anyone else says. They do make a mighty fine computer though.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
Jay42 said:
I would really doubt it. I was actually quite suprised to even see the current PowerBook redesign so close to the intel switch. I guess they needed something before the switch, but I really don't a major proc. change right now would be cost effective. This is probably why there were no new proc. upgrades a few weeks ago. Just too much development/engineering/production costs to make it worth while. Remember, Apple's a business first, no matter what anyone else says. They do make a mighty fine computer though.

Yeah. And they'll probably redesign for Intel too. Add dual-core, mix with new design, instant media frenzy.

fklehman

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
Newark, DE
dferrara said:
A lot of us including myself were hoping for the MPC7448 which is a pin-for-pin replacement for the 7447A... with a 200MHz bus and possibly 1.8GHz; but it's in production now. If Apple did one last update I think it would be this.

Maybe we will get a stealth update like the Mini...at some point 7448s will just start showing up, maybe you'll get one and maybe you won't. Take your chances. Probably not, of course, but it's funny to imagine in a morbid sort of way. I don't think there's any depths to which the PB line couldn't sink at this point, so it would almost be a fitting end.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
gammamonk said:

I agree, I think they are waiting for the intel release.

Zoowatch

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Sheffield, UK
IMO
freescale G4 is considered an aging technology and it's simply not worth further investment in getting a dual-core

so... most likely no dual-core G4s

but u can wait for intel chips to get into the powerbooks
things will get really interesting from then on

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
fklehman said:
Maybe we will get a stealth update like the Mini...at some point 7448s will just start showing up, maybe you'll get one and maybe you won't. Take your chances. Probably not, of course, but it's funny to imagine in a morbid sort of way. I don't think there's any depths to which the PB line couldn't sink at this point, so it would almost be a fitting end.

Morbid indeed. I almost want to sell mine just to get a dual-core PowerMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.