PDA

View Full Version : Another death in the family

cr2sh
Dec 12, 2002, 07:07 PM
They say they always go in threes, and mine was just a young las - but first DukeStreet's Monitor and today my 80gig Barracuda died. I was running osX and cleaning my room, suddenly iTunes stopped playing - I looked over and it had frozen up. It won't boot into either 9 or 10 off of that disk and after installing a secondary disk with both 9 and 10 on it also, it won't boot off that disk either as long as the barracuda is attached. I'm going to detach it completelly and RMA it, its ****ed me for the last time.
The really pisser is that it took with it a number of songs that were nearing complettion... but then again, I've always loved starting a new. And this on the day I finished my finals, goddamnit! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Who's next?

vniow
Dec 12, 2002, 07:09 PM
I know of people who have recovered data from crashed hard drives.

There's certain services that some computer stores that can somehow do it.

Not sure exactly how they do it but it can be done.

AssassinOfGates
Dec 12, 2002, 07:44 PM
Sorta related. Once my mom's iMac rev b lost it's own hard drive! I was optimising it via TechTool Pro, and it crashed. When I rebooted into 9.2.1, it could no longer find a harddrive in the thing. I pulled out a really old copy of Norton Disk Doctor, and told it to do the usual scan. It found the drive and managed to repair it, all data still intact. That was scary, as AppleStore Easton said it would take $200 or something to repair. I would get the bill knowing my parents.

If you have Norton's, try booting from the CD. It just may work for ye too :)

pepeleuepe
Dec 12, 2002, 07:58 PM
The drive in my iBook died last month, but it gave me a good reason to upgrade from 6GB to 40GB, which, since I had pleny of space, got rid of my only excuse for not installing OS X.

So I guess you could say that because my HD crashed I now have OS X. So it can be a good thing, except for all of those papers I wrote that I will never see again, oh well, sacrifices must be made I guess.

Mr. Anderson
Dec 12, 2002, 07:58 PM
Damn, sorry to here that. Reminds me, time to do a back up.....

And the data recovery off of dead harddrives is not cheap, so only do it if you really have to.

Good luck

D

beez7777
Dec 12, 2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by AssassinOfGates
Sorta related. Once my mom's iMac rev b lost it's own hard drive! I was optimising it via TechTool Pro, and it crashed. When I rebooted into 9.2.1, it could no longer find a harddrive in the thing. I pulled out a really old copy of Norton Disk Doctor, and told it to do the usual scan. It found the drive and managed to repair it, all data still intact. That was scary, as AppleStore Easton said it would take $200 or something to repair. I would get the bill knowing my parents.

If you have Norton's, try booting from the CD. It just may work for ye too :)

same exact thing happened to my 17" iMac about a month ago, only i was just switching from X to 9, and all of a sudden, it couldn't find the hard drive. since it was relatively new, i didn't mind to much so i just reformatted, just lost a few songs that i put back on after the reinstall.

bousozoku
Dec 12, 2002, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by beez7777

same exact thing happened to my 17" iMac about a month ago, only i was just switching from X to 9, and all of a sudden, it couldn't find the hard drive. since it was relatively new, i didn't mind to much so i just reformatted, just lost a few songs that i put back on after the reinstall.

Yeah, the volume block count and leaf counts get confused in Mac OS X sometimes. (Maybe a good reason for journaling.) Hopefully, they're working on forcing the information to disk much more reliably.

BenderBot1138
Dec 13, 2002, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by cr2sh

The really pisser is that it took with it a number of songs that were nearing complettion... but then again, I've always loved starting a new. And this on the day I finished my finals, goddamnit! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Who's next?

What do you mean "nearing completion"?

:cool:

cr2sh
Dec 13, 2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by BenderBot1138

What do you mean "nearing completion"?

:cool:

I've spent nearly the last 6months tooling and retooling drum sequences and programming midi. I've layed down the majority of the vocals and had almost all the guitars/bass recorded on 5 of the songs. Now I have mixed down versions of these songs... but the programming.. thats all gone now.

I'd be really pissed off, except the fact that this **** used to happen all the time before I switched to mac... the PC would eat my work pretty regulary. It gives me a chance to start from scrath and know where I'm going... complete revisions aren't always a bad thing - second drafts kick more ass.

Also, this gives me a chance now that my finals are done to tear my cube back apart. finish the paint job and think about doing a processor upgrade. Have we seen benchmarks on those new powerlogic cards yet? :)