PDA

View Full Version : Apple Issues First Beta of OS X 10.8.4 to AppleSeed Members

MacRumors
Apr 1, 2013, 05:14 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/01/apple-issues-first-beta-of-os-x-10-8-4-to-appleseed-members/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/04/1084.12E27.jpg
Apple today issued the first beta of OS X 10.8.4 to AppleSeed members, just over two weeks after OS X 10.8.3 was released (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/14/apple-releases-os-x-10-8-3/). The 10.8.4 beta is build 12E27, while 10.8.3 was build 12D78.

Apple is asking users to focus on Wi-Fi, Graphics Drivers and Safari, though no specific issues were mentioned.

Article Link: Apple Issues First Beta of OS X 10.8.4 to AppleSeed Members (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/01/apple-issues-first-beta-of-os-x-10-8-4-to-appleseed-members/)

Xenomorph
Apr 1, 2013, 05:16 PM
Hopefully shutdown is snappier.

Junkyman
Apr 1, 2013, 05:20 PM
1 out, 16 over the course of more than a half year to go.

Not to mention 10.9 will probably come out before 10.8.4. :P

Unggoy Murderer
Apr 1, 2013, 05:22 PM
I hope they fix the Safari memory leaks. PID: WebProcess using 10GB of RAM after day or two of usage is a little extreme...

And no, it's not Facebook's fault.

chrf097
Apr 1, 2013, 05:23 PM
Safari seems snappier.

(They're asking people to focus on Safari? Come on, you knew this joke was coming)

unobtainium
Apr 1, 2013, 05:27 PM
Wonder when we'll see 10.9.

Dwalls90
Apr 1, 2013, 05:27 PM

Seriously.

I don't know why, but it takes forever with my SSD compared to snappy start up times.

lunaoso
Apr 1, 2013, 05:29 PM
Not to mention 10.9 will probably come out before 10.8.4. :P

If I remember correctly, that's what they did with 10.7.5 last year. I know they had 10.7.5 in beta when ML came out, just not sure how far back the beta started.

irDigital0l
Apr 1, 2013, 05:33 PM
April fools!!!

oh wait...

Badagri
Apr 1, 2013, 05:35 PM
April fools!!!

oh wait...

LoL, bad day to be on the innerwebz.

ScottishCaptain
Apr 1, 2013, 05:41 PM
What the hell is an AppleSeed member?

What happened to beta access through the developer program?

-SC

Kashchei
Apr 1, 2013, 05:45 PM

Good point. Is this story an April Fool's joke?

hppy29
Apr 1, 2013, 05:53 PM
Appleseed Members are people that Apple choose to test software before it goes on to developers. It is an invite only membership.

theBostonian
Apr 1, 2013, 05:57 PM
Seriously.

I don't know why, but it takes forever with my SSD compared to snappy start up times.

From this thread (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4339540?start=135&tstart=0) on Apple's discussion forums it would appear that various programs are given a 20 second window in which to close, thereby causing a delay.

There's a solution in that thread of editing a plist file with a shorter time to pass before a program is force closed.

I wonder if Apple raised the time because of cloud services? Perhaps they want programs to finish syncing before shutting down?

In any case, it's annoying with or without an SSD

Kashchei
Apr 1, 2013, 05:58 PM
Appleseed Members are people that Apple choose to test software before it goes on to developers. It is an invite only membership.

Thanks! I had no idea.

GIZBUG
Apr 1, 2013, 05:58 PM
Safari seems snappier.

(They're asking people to focus on Safari? Come on, you knew this joke was coming)

Fail

Risco
Apr 1, 2013, 06:00 PM
6 months and 25 betas later.....

iDemiurge
Apr 1, 2013, 06:02 PM

Ask John Appleseed. He knows all about it. In fact he's testing 10.8.5 already.

Peace
Apr 1, 2013, 06:03 PM
Before anybody asks. And I know this question will pop up.

Appleseed members are not known for leaking iso's or dmg's.

;)

theBostonian
Apr 1, 2013, 06:04 PM

;)

That almost sounds like an invitation to PM you :p

Peace
Apr 1, 2013, 06:05 PM
That almost sounds like an invitation to PM you :p

Please don't. It's not.

theBostonian
Apr 1, 2013, 06:06 PM
Please don't. It's not.

I have no intention of PMing you, hence the " :p "

Don't panic, calm down and pop a valium.

twintin
Apr 1, 2013, 06:16 PM
I hope they fix the Safari memory leaks. PID: WebProcess using 10GB of RAM after day or two of usage is a little extreme...

Currently my Safari has been up for around 17 days and never have I seen it consume GB of memory (in fact, I have never seen it consume huge amount of memory at all since August last year) and neither do I have any process called WebProcess.

What the heck have you installed on yours ?

lunarworks
Apr 1, 2013, 06:21 PM
Let the bitching and complaining begin. #macrumors

chorner
Apr 1, 2013, 06:27 PM
Hopefully this isn't an April fools joke! They definitely have more work to do on the graphics subsystem and Safari performance improvements. The WebKit dev builds are still snappier overall.

sulpfiction
Apr 1, 2013, 06:32 PM
Please don't. It's not.

It was a joke. Take off the tinfoil hat and chill.

Asclepio
Apr 1, 2013, 06:43 PM
what a bunch of beta males

Some_Big_Spoon
Apr 1, 2013, 06:51 PM
Browsers bleeding RAM are a common problem - what gives? And, what's with the OS letting it happen? I'd enforce garbage cleanup if I were Apple, regardless of browser.

Michael Goff
Apr 1, 2013, 06:58 PM
And then tomorrow comes and Apple admits it was a joke...

scottishwildcat
Apr 1, 2013, 07:05 PM
Seriously.

Don't do it then :) I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I have any reason to shut down my MacBook in any given year.

TsMkLg068426
Apr 1, 2013, 07:06 PM
Hopefully they will fix the slow loading on iMacs when you turn it on.

Krazy Bill
Apr 1, 2013, 07:27 PM
I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I have any reason to shut down my MacBook in any given year.That's just dandy. I'm happy for you. Try boot camping into another OS.

Swiss-G
Apr 1, 2013, 08:06 PM
FWIW its available on the developer site.

Yamcha
Apr 1, 2013, 08:26 PM
Wonder how OS 10.9 is going..

kwiiboy
Apr 1, 2013, 08:37 PM

Holy ****! I thought that was just me!

tywebb13
Apr 1, 2013, 10:13 PM
the delta update is a lot smaller this time and so was quicker to install

it's about 300 mb

yearziro
Apr 1, 2013, 10:28 PM

;)

Learned my lesson with leaked beta's downloaded ML DP1 and it wasnt a fun experience

tywebb13
Apr 1, 2013, 10:38 PM
no need for appleseeders to leak it.

It's on the mac dev center now, i.e., apple have released it to developers too.

kot
Apr 2, 2013, 12:26 AM

New meme?

Jessica Lares
Apr 2, 2013, 01:06 AM
I'm excited for the Safari update. Like really, it's annoying that my PowerPC machines give me a better browsing experience than a 2011 machine.

MacsRgr8
Apr 2, 2013, 01:37 AM
Logic:

WWDC 2013: DP1 of 10.9
End of May 2013: GM 10.8.4

Mike MA
Apr 2, 2013, 02:18 AM
Seriously.

Welcome to Mountain Lion :D

Don't do it then :) I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I have any reason to shut down my MacBook in any given year.

Life can be simple, but sometimes it's not.

szw-mapple fan
Apr 2, 2013, 03:05 AM
Safari seems snappier.

It's not funny anymore.:D

ConCat
Apr 2, 2013, 03:06 AM

That's WebKit, not Safari. I assume Chrome has at least some of these leaks as well, although the leaks may be in the JavaScript engine.

MrNomNoms
Apr 2, 2013, 05:57 AM
There is a little bit of lagginess with the HD 4000 on occasions but I'd love to see some further optimisation and bug fixes for the nVidia 680MX in the iMac.

bedifferent
Apr 2, 2013, 07:23 AM
Any one notice anything under the hood? Installed it last night, not noticing any improvements or noticeable changes. Then again, it's only the first beta release, given 10.8.3 this could go one for months :p

I did notice the dock "hack" that's been around and working up to .3 doesn't work with the .4 dock (the hack that was released on MacRumors modifies the dock to black w/ or w/o reflections, the guy did a great job working with others in making an easy app). OpenGL 4.0 support remains the same.

TheTissot11
Apr 2, 2013, 07:42 AM
Any one notice anything under the hood? Installed it last night, not noticing any improvements or noticeable changes. Then again, it's only the first beta release, given 10.8.3 this could go one for months :p

I did notice the dock "hack" that's been around and working up to .3 doesn't work with the .4 dock (the hack that was released on MacRumors modifies the dock to black w/ or w/o reflections, the guy did a great job working with others in making an easy app). OpenGL 4.0 support remains the same.

I don't know what's the point in releasing these updates when it can't seem to fix any issues. I don't understand what these ******s Apple engineers are doing anyway. After taking forever with 10.8.3, I had hoped that it will fix some of the annoying problems like OS X hang once a week that I'm having with my rMBP. I hate to say Apple really sucks! I wasted 3000 Euro on this machine with an OS that is **** OS in the history of Mac OS X!

Dwalls90
Apr 2, 2013, 08:10 AM

I disabled the hibernation mode using ChameleonSSD and to preserve battery in general I'd rather shut it down.

I see what you're saying though.

PeeGee
Apr 2, 2013, 08:15 AM
Could anyone please see what the Nvidia driver version is in this recent build?

koban4max
Apr 2, 2013, 08:20 AM

are you saying that this new beta is not a joke?

----------

I don't know what's the point in releasing these updates when it can't seem to fix any issues. I don't understand what these ******s Apple engineers are doing anyway. After taking forever with 10.8.3, I had hoped that it will fix some of the annoying problems like OS X hang once a week that I'm having with my rMBP. I hate to say Apple really sucks! I wasted 3000 Euro on this machine with an OS that is **** OS in the history of Mac OS X!

time to go to pc then, right?

chrfr
Apr 2, 2013, 08:33 AM

10.8.3 did fix bugs, and some notable ones. If your computer is hanging once a week, you are having a different problem that an OS update may not solve; it's not normal operation.

Mr. Retrofire
Apr 2, 2013, 09:03 AM
Read the article! The article contains this link:
appleseed.apple.com

Why Seed Software?

Apple Software Customer Seeding is a program where customers are invited to test pre-release software products in order to provide Apple Software Engineering with real-world quality and usability feedback.

What’s in it for you? This program gives you a first look at new and upcoming software products while empowering you with the ability to provide feedback directly into engineering.

Software seeding is not for everyone. Participants testing developmental software must tolerate the unpolished nature of a pre-release product. There is always the risk of data loss.

What’s in it for Apple? We want to collect feedback from our customers to improve the overall quality of our products by testing it in many different environments. Your experience with our products impacts our future success and this program will help us facilitate that goal.

TheTissot11
Apr 2, 2013, 09:09 AM

----------

time to go to pc then, right?

Why we have to go back to PC? Why can't OS X be like what it used to be in past? Stable, reliable and intuitive to use!

----------

10.8.3 did fix bugs, and some notable ones. If your computer is hanging once a week, you are having a different problem that an OS update may not solve; it's not normal operation.

Yeah it did fix some bugs and it's a lot better to use compared to 10.8.2. However, the system hanging thing still remains. I have made clean installation of 10.8.3 last week, spoke with an Apple expert (who doesn't seem to have any idea on how to fix this problem). Maybe you're right that it's not a normal operation, but it's very annoying and I don't know how should I fix this..

Kariya
Apr 2, 2013, 09:10 AM
Hopefully this isn't an April fools joke!

Its not a joke

FWIW its available on the developer site.

the8thark
Apr 2, 2013, 10:18 AM
Appleseed members are not known for leaking

So you're saying no rumour website article writer, no government member, no member of the press, no analyst of any kind, no one from gizmodo etc etc can ever be an Appleseed member. Cause they all leak information/rumours regularly.

And most of them mistakenly claim their leaked rumours are fact too. But that's a total other issue and a little off topic.

----------

what a bunch of beta males
Better then gamma females. If you have to ask what the alpha is, then you don't get it. (hint, it's not human).

Badagri
Apr 2, 2013, 10:31 AM

This is indeed true. For me 10.8, .1, .2 and .3 has been rock solid. Each release over a months uptime unless some software demands a reboot. If it's hard locking then there's going to be a hardware issue causing it.

But saying that, I will never know ones computers habits. Don't know if they install everything and whatnot or always tinkering.

Why we have to go back to PC? Why can't OS X be like what it used to be in past? Stable, reliable and intuitive to use!

----------

Yeah it did fix some bugs and it's a lot better to use compared to 10.8.2. However, the system hanging thing still remains. I have made clean installation of 10.8.3 last week, spoke with an Apple expert (who doesn't seem to have any idea on how to fix this problem). Maybe you're right that it's not a normal operation, but it's very annoying and I don't know how should I fix this..

Checked to see if it's your hard drive? hard locks can usually be a slow death to the drive. I had one on a PC and the SMART status wasn't picking it up, even though it's a motherboard from last year. Only the Western Digital utility was finding failed tests and lots of unreadable and retiring blocks.

Twimfy
Apr 2, 2013, 10:43 AM
This is indeed true. For me 10.8, .1, .2 and .3 has been rock solid. Each release over a months uptime unless some software demands a reboot. If it's hard locking then there's going to be a hardware issue causing it.

But saying that, I will never know ones computers habits. Don't know if they install everything and whatnot or always tinkering.

Checked to see if it's your hard drive? hard locks can usually be a slow death to the drive. I had one on a PC and the SMART status wasn't picking it up, even though it's a motherboard from last year. Only the Western Digital utility was finding failed tests and lots of unreadable and retiring blocks.

Sound advice. This was happening to me. Disk Utility found nothing but if you download SMART Utility for Mac (google it) it'll soon tell you if your drive is failing.

One new HD later and OS X is as good as ever :-)

SirYossi
Apr 2, 2013, 10:50 AM

what version imac you have? I have the 2.7 Quad core from later 2011 and since i upgraded to X.8.3 only slow start up and shut down has been the very first one. I let Spotlight finish indexing before doing anything else - Once that was done the shut down and start ups were on par with X.7.5 maybe even a little faster in the start up and shut down. Did you ever have OS X.6 on the machine? I am wondering if those who had X.6 are the ones having all the issues. my iMac came shipped with X.7 so no issues as i never installed any PPC software (you could under X.6) - I think removing all software that is not compatible saves alot of headaches in the end. I have a 2007 MBP that i got with X.6 but immediately wiped the drive and did a clean install of X.7 and never had a single issue. I am thinking it is best to do a clean install from X.6 to X.7. Just wish they would fix the wifi issues with the 2007 2008 MBPs then i would update that too.

TheTissot11
Apr 2, 2013, 11:04 AM
Sound advice. This was happening to me. Disk Utility found nothing but if you download SMART Utility for Mac (google it) it'll soon tell you if your drive is failing.

One new HD later and OS X is as good as ever :-)

Well I just installed SMART utility for Mac on my rMBP and it says that my Macintosh HD (SSD) has passed the test. So it doesn't look that the SSD is failing. I have been told by the Apple technical advisor to take it to a Apple authorised service provider and he says either SSD or the logic board might have some problems. Anyway, this is the first time I'm having so much trouble with a MBP and even after 4 months of purchasing, I'm yet to start enjoying it :(

Badagri
Apr 2, 2013, 11:10 AM
I'd take it in right away because the more you get problems with it the more you'll get pissed with it and ruin your experience. Because honestly, 10.8 is solid for stability but you're having hardware problems thats killing your whole view and experience on it.

For all you know there could be an intermittent sata port problem on the logic board. But you'll never know for sure until you take it in. It's not doing you any good the longer you put up with it.

palmharbor
Apr 2, 2013, 11:39 AM
Copy Paste has not been updated since OS *
Quick time has no audio record function
Mail has lost reject function
I would like to see this paid attention to

benwiggy
Apr 2, 2013, 12:18 PM
I've had several bug reports marked "Fixed in 10.8, no fix for 10.7". And also "will be fixed in 10.9, no fix for 10.8".

So, it's safe to assume that 10.7.5 was the last version of Lion. Will 10.8.4 be the last version of Mountain Lion?
I guess that means half the number of bug fixes before you have to buy the new OS version to get your bugs fixed. Oh, and you might need new hardware for that.

What needs updating about Copy and Paste? Rest assured that if Apple did completely revise it, there would be a million threads about "how to get the old Copy/Paste back".
QuickTime Player has "New Audio Recording" in the File menu.
Don't know what you mean about "reject" function in Mail.

andrezuppe
Apr 2, 2013, 12:25 PM

Hope to finally see it on my 3k euros 15" rMBP. I think it should shutdown as fast as SL was on my 5.400rpm - 2010 13 mbp (1-2 seconds).
10.8.3 for me didn't solve that issue (still 15/20 secs to shutdown/reboot). :mad:

Bye,

Andrea

SockRolid
Apr 2, 2013, 12:48 PM
Safari seems to crash every time there are 8 or more tabs open.
Last time I checked the call trace, it was something in the javascript interpreter.

----------

You mean "bounce"?
I missed bounce too, but apparently that simply contributes to mail server congestion.
It makes things worse, overall, than simply ignoring spam.

cjmillsnun
Apr 2, 2013, 01:00 PM
I would like to see this paid attention to

Why update copy and paste? It works!

Audio recording can be done with Garageband (comes free with every single mac since ages ago)

The bounce on mail was useful, and it would be nice to see it return, but it isn't on my priority list.

adnbek
Apr 2, 2013, 01:11 PM
Hope to finally see it on my 3k euros 15" rMBP. I think it should shutdown as fast as SL was on my 5.400rpm - 2010 13 mbp (1-2 seconds).
10.8.3 for me didn't solve that issue (still 15/20 secs to shutdown/reboot). :mad:

Bye,

Andrea

Queue all the "why shut down at all?" responses in 3, 2, 1.... :rolleyes:
And I agree, it's an issue.

TsMkLg068426
Apr 2, 2013, 02:28 PM
what version imac you have? I have the 2.7 Quad core from later 2011 and since i upgraded to X.8.3 only slow start up and shut down has been the very first one. I let Spotlight finish indexing before doing anything else - Once that was done the shut down and start ups were on par with X.7.5 maybe even a little faster in the start up and shut down. Did you ever have OS X.6 on the machine? I am wondering if those who had X.6 are the ones having all the issues. my iMac came shipped with X.7 so no issues as i never installed any PPC software (you could under X.6) - I think removing all software that is not compatible saves alot of headaches in the end. I have a 2007 MBP that i got with X.6 but immediately wiped the drive and did a clean install of X.7 and never had a single issue. I am thinking it is best to do a clean install from X.6 to X.7. Just wish they would fix the wifi issues with the 2007 2008 MBPs then i would update that too.

I have 21.5 inch Mid-2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 and it has a pretty slow start up time but shutting down has been fixed on my end after x.8.3 update.

JohnDoe98
Apr 2, 2013, 02:31 PM
I've had several bug reports marked "Fixed in 10.8, no fix for 10.7". And also "will be fixed in 10.9, no fix for 10.8".

So, it's safe to assume that 10.7.5 was the last version of Lion. Will 10.8.4 be the last version of Mountain Lion?
I guess that means half the number of bug fixes before you have to buy the new OS version to get your bugs fixed. Oh, and you might need new hardware for that.

Is there some master list of all the bugs that will be fixed in 10.8 and 10.9? That would be rather useful to have.

chrfr
Apr 2, 2013, 02:32 PM
Is there some master list of all the bugs that will be fixed in 10.8 and 10.9? That would be rather useful to have.
Apple doesn't provide any such detail, unfortunately.

saturnotaku
Apr 2, 2013, 02:41 PM
For me, Mountain Lion's slow shutdowns were fixed when I got rid of Steermouse in favor of Logitech's own gaming software.

milo
Apr 2, 2013, 03:08 PM
Will 10.8.4 be the last version of Mountain Lion?

Nobody knows yet. Since 10.9 hasn't even had a beta released yet, it's months from release. With that kind of a window, it's still possible that we see .5 or even higher.

TheTissot11
Apr 2, 2013, 04:51 PM
I'd take it in right away because the more you get problems with it the more you'll get pissed with it and ruin your experience. Because honestly, 10.8 is solid for stability but you're having hardware problems thats killing your whole view and experience on it.

For all you know there could be an intermittent sata port problem on the logic board. But you'll never know for sure until you take it in. It's not doing you any good the longer you put up with it.

When I run Apple Hardware Test, it finds no problems with my rMBP, so I don't understand what is causing system hangs on my rMBP. Do you think there could still be a problem even if Apple Hardware Test says no trouble found?

andrezuppe
Apr 2, 2013, 05:15 PM
Queue all the "why shut down at all?" responses in 3, 2, 1.... :rolleyes:
And I agree, it's an issue.

I shutdown at all in order not to drain my battery leaving my mac in sleep when i carry it with me.. Yes I know that I could leave it in sleep which is faster but I prefer shutting down my machine in order not to forgot it in sleep mode.
And during the night I prefer to shutdown at all leaving it not attached to power chord.

But I would like to know why an old O.S. like SL had so brilliant shutdown performances and ML not... Was it wrong? :-) Maybe the right thing is now with 20 seconds to wait, ok :) :)

Bye,

Andrea

Nunyabinez
Apr 2, 2013, 06:14 PM
I shutdown at all in order not to drain my battery leaving my mac in sleep when i carry it with me.. Yes I know that I could leave it in sleep which is faster but I prefer shutting down my machine in order not to forgot it in sleep mode.
And during the night I prefer to shutdown at all leaving it not attached to power chord.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (I know most people here don't need an invitation ;-)), but I was under the impression that OS X runs a number of daily maintenance scripts at night while a Mac is connected to power, even while sleeping, similar to how iCloud works for iDevices.

I usually leave my iMac on until it starts behaving weirdly, which isn't very often and my MacBooks I plug in at night and close the lid. I was assuming that this was allowing them to run the necessary maintenance scripts to keep things healthy. Usually don't have any problems, but maybe it's a placebo effect.

Hugh
Apr 2, 2013, 06:58 PM
When I run Apple Hardware Test, it finds no problems with my rMBP, so I don't understand what is causing system hangs on my rMBP. Do you think there could still be a problem even if Apple Hardware Test says no trouble found?

I would still take it to a Apple Repair center if I was you. It is possible that you have a bad machine if you are seeing these problems.

Hugh

B...
Apr 2, 2013, 07:10 PM
I want: WebKit level scrolling, better UI animations (smoother), better shutdown times (I frequently shut my computer now down). OR, just give me 10.9! :)

koen
Apr 2, 2013, 07:39 PM

Did you tell them?

Badagri
Apr 2, 2013, 08:13 PM
I would still take it to a Apple Repair center if I was you. It is possible that you have a bad machine if you are seeing these problems.

Hugh

And it's very highly an intermittent problem that the hardware test disc isn't picking up.

mikefla
Apr 2, 2013, 08:34 PM
When I logon to my developer account I see the download link for the seed but when I click on download it takes me to another page and there is nothing there to download. Any ideas?

-Mike

TheTissot11
Apr 3, 2013, 06:22 AM
And it's very highly an intermittent problem that the hardware test disc isn't picking up.

Well I have given it to an Apple authorised service provider today. Let's see what he says. There seems to be lots of bizarre stuff happening with rMBP.

Sevbh
Apr 3, 2013, 06:46 AM

I'm having 0 issues with 10.8.3. The only thing I can say is that shutdown times are way too slow. Ive seen videos online where rMBP take 2 seconds to sundown. mine takes between 20-25 seconds, which is slower than booting the machine up. once thats fixed, I wont have anything to complain about.

Regarding the scrolling and UI lag, its due to the hd4000. when the nvidia card is used, everything is as smooth as butter.

I dont get why ppl are complaining about ML so much? Everything is quick, nothing ever, and i do mean ever, crashes (on mine at least).
Ok no OpenGL 4, and proper resolution independent OS would be awesome so those with a retina display could use the full res of the screen without having microscopic fonts and icons.

Sevbh
Apr 3, 2013, 07:02 AM
Well I have given it to an Apple authorised service provider today. Let's see what he says. There seems to be lots of bizarre stuff happening with rMBP.

yea there must be something wrong. or maybe u installed a third party app thats cause this?

the rMBP is by far the best laptop ive ever used. i enjoy every second im on it:D. sometimes i switch it on cause i miss it lol. but thats how good it is.... hope u solve ur problem soon...

SirYossi
Apr 3, 2013, 08:11 AM
I have 21.5 inch Mid-2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 and it has a pretty slow start up time but shutting down has been fixed on my end after x.8.3 update.

That is nice i am glad i waited till X.8.3 now as the imac is running so much better than in X.7

Irishman
Apr 3, 2013, 08:26 AM

I never turn my Mac off. :)

Sound214
Apr 3, 2013, 09:20 AM
10.8.4 seems to have fixed a problem I had with my Macbook Pro Retina when connecting three external displays. I'm guessing it has something to do with updated GPU drivers.

Twimfy
Apr 3, 2013, 09:25 AM
Interesting.

The only thing 10.8.4 seems to have done to my machine (2008 iMac) is make the ODD fan run 100 rpm faster under idle load, just fast enough to be audible.

Very bizarre seeing as I don't use the superdrive at all.

Booted 10.8.3 from a USB drive and it drops by 100 rpm.

ArmCortexA8
Apr 3, 2013, 09:49 AM
UPDATE: This was not only sent to AppleSeed Member's, I as a developer received the same notification for 10.8.4 as well.

Badagri
Apr 3, 2013, 11:16 AM
Regarding the scrolling and UI lag, its due to the hd4000. when the nvidia card is used, everything is as smooth as butter.

It must be the drivers because on a Windows machine with Intel's drivers it's as smooth as a discrete card.

JM-Prod
Apr 3, 2013, 11:26 AM
Is it just my hopeful thinking, or does it seem like the OS X 10.8.4 actually fixes or improves the Safari memory issues?

sshhoott
Apr 3, 2013, 12:49 PM
Is PDF scrolling smooth in Preview?

SockRolid
Apr 3, 2013, 12:56 PM
May have already posted this, but Safari crashes almost every time I have more than 8 or 9 tabs open. The stack backtrace showed some kind of javascript code running.

My instinctive reaction is that it's time to check the thread safety of the javascript engine. Could be some kind of race condition or concurrency issue.

Michael Goff
Apr 3, 2013, 01:32 PM
So, this beta does what? Does it fix shutdown/startup/lag in safari/my cat?

Any of the above?

mikefla
Apr 3, 2013, 08:01 PM
UPDATE: This was not only sent to AppleSeed Member's, I as a developer received the same notification for 10.8.4 as well.

Well I still get nothing when I click on download on my developer account. The link takes me to a page with nothing in it, no download.

-Mike

tywebb13
Apr 3, 2013, 08:39 PM
Scroll down near the bottom of the page after you log in

Click on "View all downloads"

You should see it then.

GIZBUG
Apr 3, 2013, 08:41 PM
10.8.4 seems to be running fine on my Mac Air.

TheTissot11
Apr 4, 2013, 08:34 AM
yea there must be something wrong. or maybe u installed a third party app thats cause this?

the rMBP is by far the best laptop ive ever used. i enjoy every second im on it:D. sometimes i switch it on cause i miss it lol. but thats how good it is.... hope u solve ur problem soon...

I'm really glad to hear that you have no problems with your rMBP and you're enjoying it! For me it's been a frustrating experience with rMBP :mad: My MBP was really good. I gave machine for hardware tests and Apple authorised service providers found no problem with the hardware, but I have/had the problem with system hanging once a week. Even the technical staff at this authorised service provider were complaining a lot about new rMBPs and iMacs and how they have no idea about many of the problems with these machines and when they ask Apple, they get no answer!

shinyafro
Apr 4, 2013, 09:40 AM
I'm really glad to hear that you have no problems with your rMBP and you're enjoying it! For me it's been a frustrating experience with rMBP :mad: My MBP was really good. I gave machine for hardware tests and Apple authorised service providers found no problem with the hardware, but I have/had the problem with system hanging once a week. Even the technical staff at this authorised service provider were complaining a lot about new rMBPs and iMacs and how they have no idea about many of the problems with these machines and when they ask Apple, they get no answer!

Take it back to an Apple store and swap the entire machine

TheTissot11
Apr 4, 2013, 11:05 AM
Take it back to an Apple store and swap the entire machine

I don't have any Apple Store nearby. Only few hundred kilometres away :( Is it possible to get the machine swapped at Apple Store in a day?

jouz3
Apr 4, 2013, 11:11 AM
With 10.8.4, DHCP doesn't work on wifi to me.

Unggoy Murderer
Apr 4, 2013, 02:20 PM
Currently my Safari has been up for around 17 days and never have I seen it consume GB of memory (in fact, I have never seen it consume huge amount of memory at all since August last year) and neither do I have any process called WebProcess.

What the heck have you installed on yours ?

WebProcess is showing in Activity Monitor, currently hogging 1.84GB after a few hours of use. I don't have anything installed that I'm aware of, other than Coda Notes. Any ideas? :confused:

----------

Browsers bleeding RAM are a common problem - what gives? And, what's with the OS letting it happen? I'd enforce garbage cleanup if I were Apple, regardless of browser.

It's odd, right? I should probably open up a support request...

----------

That's WebKit, not Safari. I assume Chrome has at least some of these leaks as well, although the leaks may be in the JavaScript engine.
Chrome's perfectly stable, but I prefer Safari for the Bookmark sync, and iCloud tabs. It also feels a little snappier ;)

----------

Did you tell them?
Not yet. I'll open a support request.

koban4max
Apr 5, 2013, 08:23 AM

----------

They are not going to go back to stability like in the past.

Badagri
Apr 5, 2013, 12:13 PM
They are not going to go back to stability like in the past.

Then it will be their downfall. Stability was their reputation.

milo
Apr 5, 2013, 12:24 PM
OSX is plenty stable, and weekly hangs aren't normal. Anyone getting crashes like that probably has a hardware problem, a corrupt OS install (that would be fixed by reinstalling), or buggy third party software that's causing the crashes.

With any OS, there is always the possibility of individual machines having a problem that causes crashes.

TheTissot11
Apr 5, 2013, 01:17 PM
OSX is plenty stable, and weekly hangs aren't normal. Anyone getting crashes like that probably has a hardware problem, a corrupt OS install (that would be fixed by reinstalling), or buggy third party software that's causing the crashes.

With any OS, there is always the possibility of individual machines having a problem that causes crashes.

Well the hardware check by the Apple authorised service provided found no fault with the hardware. Can you suggest some tools that can check the possible third party application conflict on 10.8.3? I checked on roaringapps.com, and I have no incompatible app installed on my rMBP.

Risco
Apr 5, 2013, 04:26 PM

I am also getting lots of freezing, hanging mainly when under load during encoding. On a windows PC I could do a number of task while encoding and never see a hang. Also I cannot get it to run the hardware test, either it errors out and does not launch or hangs when it starts, needing an smc reset to get it even run..

Mine is also in for an authorised Apple check tomorrow...

koban4max
Apr 5, 2013, 05:45 PM
Then it will be their downfall. Stability was their reputation.

of course it was...there is not denying in that, however, there haven't been stability since SL.

Badagri
Apr 5, 2013, 09:49 PM
of course it was...there is not denying in that, however, there haven't been stability since SL.

Yes but if they go down that path, they'll be asking for trouble. Especially how quickly rage can evolve with social media in a few minutes. Hello Xbox and always connected articles.

Sevbh
Apr 6, 2013, 01:41 PM
Well the hardware check by the Apple authorised service provided found no fault with the hardware. Can you suggest some tools that can check the possible third party application conflict on 10.8.3? I checked on roaringapps.com, and I have no incompatible app installed on my rMBP.

to find out if its a 3rd party app thats causing these problems, you could create a small partition on your disk and install a fresh ML install, without third party apps. try that out for a while if you can, and if it hangs then there could be a HW problem. it it doesnt, then its ur software, in which case u can resize your main partition and then i would suggest reinstalling a clean copy of ML on your main HD and copying your files manually if you dont have millions...:D

----------

I only have had stability issues with 10.8.0, after that they slowly fixed them issues. Since 10.8.2 I dont think my laptop has crashed once. Maybe im lucky and am not getting the problems some of you are having:D

JM-Prod
Apr 7, 2013, 01:15 PM
OSX is not unstable, it's just darn unresponsive at times. Especially Safari can turn the system to syrup.

Apple should once again do as they did with Snow Leopard, just focusing on performance and stability improvements.

- OpenGL 4.3
- Finder and spotlight improvements
- Graphic glitches removal
- Faster start-up and shut-down
- Analysing why and when the system gets unresponsive or lagging and minimise it's occurrences
- Making sure that OSX runs applications and games just as fast, or faster than Windows

Michael Goff
Apr 7, 2013, 01:59 PM
OSX is not unstable, it's just darn unresponsive at times. Especially Safari can turn the system to syrup.

Apple should once again do as they did with Snow Leopard, just focusing on performance and stability improvements.

- OpenGL 4.3
- Finder and spotlight improvements
- Graphic glitches removal
- Faster start-up and shut-down
- Analysing why and when the system gets unresponsive or lagging and minimise it's occurrences
- Making sure that OSX runs applications and games just as fast, or faster than Windows

They can't do the last one, that's more on the developers themselves. Microsoft doesn't make applications run faster on it than OS X, the fact that developers care more about their largest audience base (Windows) makes it so that they put the most effort in on Windows.

The other things would be great, though.

JGRE
Apr 7, 2013, 02:21 PM
Please let 10.9 be a Snow Mountain Lion...............

JM-Prod
Apr 7, 2013, 04:23 PM
They can't do the last one, that's more on the developers themselves. Microsoft doesn't make applications run faster on it than OS X, the fact that developers care more about their largest audience base (Windows) makes it so that they put the most effort in on Windows.

The other things would be great, though.

I agree this is mostly true, as software coming from another Unix platform often runs better on OSX, than Windows, however I believe that work always can be done to make resources better utilised.

----- and now something completely different -----

To make Apple sell more 'gaming' hardware and make video and graphics professionals happy with the latest and best, as well as bringing more gaming to the Mac, it would be an idea for Apple to bring together one of Microsofts forgotten franchises: Flight Simulation. Why not? There is a lot of people with deep pockets who love flying, making the best Flight Simulator, OS X exclusive could sell a lot of really powerful hardware! A truly modern Flight Simulator does not exist, and somebody ought to make one, it could even be made for both entertainment and highly professional visualisation. There would also be some synergies to Apple's mapping efforts...

turbocrow
Apr 7, 2013, 05:34 PM
So far having moved to a Mac from November I have loved the stability although I remember using my neighbours plastic one it never took wee rainbow loading fits etc. Now my macbook pro never freezes although it does sometimes freeze for 5 seconds then it works perfectly.

Many people have said Safari is rubbish but I love it although I have not tried any other browsers ? should I and what type thanks :)

PS I got a mac for stability and with every update it gets worse in my opinion.

Valkyre
Apr 8, 2013, 04:59 AM
you guys running 10.8.4. see any gfx drivers performance boost in your machines? Particularly the rmbp 15 inch?

Would love to know since I see the gfx drivers mentioned in the list.

milo
Apr 9, 2013, 03:33 PM
Build 12E30 is out.

Badagri
Apr 16, 2013, 06:51 AM
Since the release of 10.8, does anyones Apple logo on the menubar go a little grey like from time to time? I have to use Mission Control for it to go back to black again. Doesn't happen all the time but the problem can be sporadic.