Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huliodude

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
I've been thinking about leaving my trusty iPhone and try out an Android device.

I came from Blackberry and I've owned a 3GS, 4, and now a 5. I'd love a bigger screen, and better signal reception. My iPhone 4 got a much better cell signal than the 5, including wifi signal. I swapped it out with another 5 at the Apple store, and got the same results. My wife's 4S gets better wifi signal all around the house than me as well.

I want to make the move as painless as possible, and have some questions for anyone who's already done it.

1. Music I've purchased from iTunes, how do I get it on an Android phone? I have many MP3's that I believe I can just copy on to the Android phone, but what about the songs that are in MP4 or whatever lossless format Apple uses? Can I just copy them over too, or do they need to be converted somehow?

2. Is there a decent Facetime equivalent on Android that would allow me to FaceTime with my kids and their iTouch devices? I know Whatsapp will allow me to text with them, not sure about any kind of video conferencing equivalent.

3. I do not use iCloud for anything. How do I get my contacts and calendar from my i5 to an Android device?

4. I love iOS's super simple tasks app (Reminders) that's built-in. Does Android have an equivalent, or do I have to download some super complicated tasker?

5. Is there a Find iPhone app equivalent in Android, in case I want to know where my phone is or wipe it?

6. I have visual voicemail with the Rogers network on my i5. Does that work on an Android phone as well?

7. I've bought a ton of books in iBooks. Can I transfer these over?

8. Can I continue to use iTunes to buy music, videos, podcasts, etc, but playback on my Android? Is it easy, or a pain in the butt?

I would love to hear from people who've switched over and dealt with some of these issues.

Thanks!

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I've been thinking about leaving my trusty iPhone and try out an Android device.

I came from Blackberry and I've owned a 3GS, 4, and now a 5. I'd love a bigger screen, and better signal reception. My iPhone 4 got a much better cell signal than the 5, including wifi signal. I swapped it out with another 5 at the Apple store, and got the same results. My wife's 4S gets better wifi signal all around the house than me as well.

I want to make the move as painless as possible, and have some questions for anyone who's already done it.

1. Music I've purchased from iTunes, how do I get it on an Android phone? I have many MP3's that I believe I can just copy on to the Android phone, but what about the songs that are in MP4 or whatever lossless format Apple uses? Can I just copy them over too, or do they need to be converted somehow?

2. Is there a decent Facetime equivalent on Android that would allow me to FaceTime with my kids and their iTouch devices? I know Whatsapp will allow me to text with them, not sure about any kind of video conferencing equivalent.

3. I do not use iCloud for anything. How do I get my contacts and calendar from my i5 to an Android device?

4. I love iOS's super simple tasks app (Reminders) that's built-in. Does Android have an equivalent, or do I have to download some super complicated tasker?

5. Is there a Find iPhone app equivalent in Android, in case I want to know where my phone is or wipe it?

6. I have visual voicemail with the Rogers network on my i5. Does that work on an Android phone as well?

8. Can I continue to use iTunes to buy music, videos, podcasts, etc, but playback on my Android? Is it easy, or a pain in the butt?

I would love to hear from people who've switched over and dealt with some of these issues.

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat and am preparing to go to Galaxy S4 from a series of iPhones. I can answer a couple of these and am interested in hearing the other answers.

1. Idk.
2. Skype. (used by devices on both ends, not FaceTime)
3. I suggest using some service to sync contacts at least for backup if nothing else. Save the calendars on your computer and upload the file to Google Calendar.
4. Idk.
5. I know service providers have such services for a monthly fee, as far as I know. I'd like to details about this also.
6. This is also dependent upon the carrier. I know AT&T has its own visual voicemail app for the Galaxy. I'm not sure if this requires an additional fee...I hope not.
7. As far as I know, they absolutely cannot be read on any non-Apple device.
8. Idk.

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
1. Google Play Music. Download Google Music Manager onto your computer and at the first launch you get a setup menu that asks what music you want to sync. You can select iTunes and it will automatically upload all your music from iTunes to the cloud and from there you can stream it with the Play Music app on Android. Just note that music will be streamed at a max of 320kbps, this includes lossless. (GPM only gives 20000 free songs, without the ability to buy extra storage, at least for now).

2. Skype...

3. 'My Contacts Backup' app should work fine for contacts.
For calendar - http://smallbusiness.chron.com/export-iphone-calendar-items-import-gmail-30346.html

4. Astrid - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.timsu.astrid ????

5. There are thousands of them. Most 'antivirus' apps have them built-in as well, if you are that paranoid. This one seems to work fine - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsp.android.phonetracker

6. It depends on whether your carrier supports visual voicemail on Android...

7. Not that I know of.

8. Music, yes. I don't know about anything else.

Last edited:

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Google Music can do this and it is rather painless for you.

If you are doing it today, there are several 3rd party apps such as Skype. If you are talking about in the near future, the best choice will be Babel, which is much better than Facetime.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Drag and drop your music from your computer to your USB connected Android device. You can then use your music playback app of choice--as others have mentioned, Google Music app works just fine. You can also upload your library to the Google Music cloud (free for 20,000 songs I believe) and stream them to your device anytime using the same Google Music app.

Skype is likely best current option.

Easiest would be to upload to a Google account. Once you sign into that account on your Android device, they'll automatically be synced.

There is no native Google services app but there are likely hundreds of good options. A search on Google or any number of Android forums should yield options for you.

As Onthecouchagain mentioned, Cerberus supposedly works well.

Not sure if it's available in Canada but Google Voice would cover this and more--actually can have your voicemail messages transcribed and texted to you if you choose. Otherwise, check the Google Play store to see if Rogers offers it--AT&T has an app for it here in the States. Downside is you have to use a third party option as it's not integrated into the Phone app as it is on iOS.

Not legally.

Music yes. Video, no, due to Apple's DRM (as with iBooks). You can listen to podcasts using any number of third party apps--I don't listen to many but use doubleTwist when needed.

rak007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
The OP here is asking all questions that i too would have incase i shifted from iOS to Android. Will keep a watch on this thread.
I and my wife have already shifted from iMessage to Whatsapp inspite of we both having iPhones so in future if i change the phone we don't have any issues.
Similarly for FaceTime we are exploring whether to go with skype or other things like tango etc.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

yes just copy them over either by dragging and dropping from iTunes into the music folder on your android device

dependant on the handset its software may allow contacts syncing. HTC has a setup that allows you to recover data from your iPhone 5 backup so all your contacts, messages and photos move across to your new device. Alternatively create a gmail account and sync your contacts to that.

most phones have a task application, and if not there are plenty of free ones on the play store

idk

idk

yes, you will need to download a book reader and like music drag and drop to a folder on your device. However you will have to use a freeware program to remove the DRM. Google is your friend here

yes music, yes books if you remove the DRM as above, but movies no...
music should work on the android device without issues without any intervention however, and if your in a country that supports it, check out google music.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Google Music can do this and it is rather painless for you.

If you are doing it today, there are several 3rd party apps such as Skype. If you are talking about in the near future, the best choice will be Babel, which is much better than Facetime.

What is that? Is that google's facetime version w/ KLP?

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008

Thanks!

Files and apps are separate on Android. YOu can use any computer without any special software to drag and drop files. Basically your Android phone works like a usb flash drive, meaning you have all these GBs to use as you see fit.

Most have already provided good answers to your other questions. with regards to # 8, I would recommend using amazon for mp3s and movies. stop using iTunes. although you can buy from google play as well. the benefit from buying amazon/google is that you can easily switch device (motorola <=> htc <=> samsung) or even platform (android <=> ios) and STILL use your purchased content with minimal effort. it gets a little sketchy with iTunes and apple DRM restrictions.

once you're on Android, try these apps. here r some really goood android apps, i think they will come handy. enjoy new android experience.

All are available on Google Play store. Swype keyboard can be downloaded from its website. all are free apps.

gesture search - hand gesture universal search. indexes everything on phone, contacts, apps, music.

airdroid - perform 90% of tasks using wifi. no wire needed! transfer files, send/receive messages, app management etc. any computer through Opera, Chrome, Firefox or IE etc.

mysms - send/receive sms through a website even when the phone is not within reach. the only requirement is the phone must be on and have signal. really handy in offfice or school environment. it will also backup and sync your messages.

SWYPE keyboard - type really fast with one finger without lifting. point browser to : http://beta.swype.com/

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas

Google Babel really has nothing to do with KLP. It's Google's new unified messaging service. Think of all of Google's services like Talk, Google+ Messenger, Gmail and Google Voice. In their current state, they can't communicate between each other and to make matters worse, they all offer a variety of features that aren't available thru each service.

Now imagine with Babel, you can get picture messaging with Google talk or Google voice becomes more group chat friendly like Google+. Although the best thing is that Google is testing this service in multiple platforms. These include Android, iOS, Chrome, Google+ and Gmail. This would mean that Google is not only unifying messaging services, but a plethora of platforms and devices.

Google Babel features

-Access the same conversation list from anywhere
-A new, conversation-based UI
-Advanced group conversations
-Ability to send pictures
-Improved notifications across devices

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Google Babel really has nothing to do with KLP. It's Google's new unified messaging service. Think of all of Google's services like Talk, Google+ Messenger, Gmail and Google Voice. In their current state, they can't communicate between each other and to make matters worse, they all offer a variety of features that aren't available thru each service.

Now imagine with Babel, you can get picture messaging with Google talk or Google voice becomes more group chat friendly like Google+. Although the best thing is that Google is testing this service in multiple platforms. These include Android, iOS, Chrome, Google+ and Gmail. This would mean that Google is not only unifying messaging services, but a plethora of platforms and devices.

Google Babel features

Thank God b.c video chat alternatives are pretty awful when you are use to facetime. It still will be kind of ugly for people on IOS since you cannot change default apps

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

Google Babel features

This is something I am really looking forward to......messaging is one of my pet peeves with Android currently....clunky and fragmented.

sixteen12

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011

Few options, iSyncr (i found worked very well), AirDroid, doubletwist, SnapPea

Skype or Google Talk (though this is being phased into Google+ Messenger Hangouts)

Add them to google mail contacts...google will show you how.

Nope, there are good 3rd party apps that do this.

Again a bunch of 3rd party options

Not really, there are options but none worked well on Rogers for me. Switch to their $7/month light voicemail and caller id option...might save you money

I'm not 100% on that but I think you can just remove the epubs from itunes and then put them in a 3rd party app

yup, its how I roll, though I barely use android anymore
SnapPea is a good backup service and its free, i suggest looking into it.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Thank God b.c video chat alternatives are pretty awful when you are use to facetime. It still will be kind of ugly for people on IOS since you cannot change default apps
Why would not being a default app matter for this kind of application?

If I want to make a video call with someone I would open the app, just as I do on iOS. Yes it is the phone app but, personally, I find having facetime co-mingled with the phone app on iOS a drawback. Too many times I have accidentally triggered a facetime call instead of voice call.

What links would you follow that open a facetime call? Or send a message? I have never encountered one. It's the auto-opening of Safari and Maps that I see the biggest issue with not being able to set default apps on iOS.

Michael

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010

Thanks!

As others have mentioned, Google Music is a good free alternative. You can continue to buy music and it will automatically be transferred into the Google Music app. From there you can stream from anywhere with an internet connection or download locally.

Another option is Spotify. I personally use Spotify Premium (like $10 a month?). It can be integrated into your iTunes for music as well. Plus you can stream any song available on Spotify without having to own it in iTunes. You can download playlists as well to play anywhere. Here's some more info:
https://www.spotify.com/us/

As others have said, Skype will work

Cerberus or Prey work well

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Why would not being a default app matter for this kind of application?

If I want to make a video call with someone I would open the app, just as I do on iOS. Yes it is the phone app but, personally, I find having facetime co-mingled with the phone app on iOS a drawback. Too many times I have accidentally triggered a facetime call instead of voice call.

What links would you follow that open a facetime call? Or send a message? I have never encountered one. It's the auto-opening of Safari and Maps that I see the biggest issue with not being able to set default apps on iOS.

Michael

What I posted made sense in my head. I meant that not being able to change the default app will effect things like a universal text, mms, video, and gchat type service. IOS will always default to the standard apps...or at least I think. If you use a third party app on IOS and go to share a link, does it give you the option to pick that app?

If so, just ignore what I said.

BoostDeuce

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2013
I believe google talk has a video chat feature. I think the phone comes with talk pre installed.

If you switch to android, give it a month or so before you claim it as terrible. Android is a much more advanced operating system than ios and will take some getting used to so you can be good with it. Widgets are the biggest thing I miss about android. I could swipe to my next home screen and have a calendar widget. I could swipe to the next one and turn wifi on/off, turn mobile network on/off, get to my power settings, etc just on the home screen. IOS you have to browse through menus to get to things so simple on android.

Not to mention you can place your icons wherever you want. I hate icons so ios is killing me.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I believe google talk has a video chat feature. I think the phone comes with talk pre installed.

If you switch to android, give it a month or so before you claim it as terrible. Android is a much more advanced operating system than ios and will take some getting used to so you can be good with it. Widgets are the biggest thing I miss about android. I could swipe to my next home screen and have a calendar widget. I could swipe to the next one and turn wifi on/off, turn mobile network on/off, get to my power settings, etc just on the home screen. IOS you have to browse through menus to get to things so simple on android.

Not to mention you can place your icons wherever you want. I hate icons so ios is killing me.

I think you are right, but the google chat options for people on IOS is atrocious. Most of my friends have IOS, so that is why something like Babel would be great. They could download a gchat app, but they work about 50/50 on IOS with push features

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012

I wouldn't call it that as it is much more robust and has more functionality than facetime. The way it works is more so similar to an instant messenger, except that it is built to be group friendly, including video chatting. The experience is all very intuitive and straight forward, so basic users can operate it. Also, like GTalk, there are more advanced things, like creating rooms.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
1. Drag and drop, DoubleTwist, iSyncr (free and $3.99 version) free version only allows 20 songs perday but it does a lot if you pay for it. Doubletwist also has a pay verison.

2. Skype, Tango

4. Not sure what you mean. There are reminders built in if you set them up and there are apps.

5. Yes, there is.....Find My Phone. Many different ones with the same name and also it has Got Ya which takes theifs pic, emails the pic to you as well as GPS location of phone.. Same app as in Apple app store.

6. Yes, if your carrier supports it. T-Mobile does but i dont use it. Never been a fan of it.

7. Dont know, never tried...never bought a book.

8. Yep, any new songs you get in iTunes will automatically get uploaded to Google Music play.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Google Babel really has nothing to do with KLP. It's Google's new unified messaging service. Think of all of Google's services like Talk, Google+ Messenger, Gmail and Google Voice.
Babel services are not a part of Google Voice.

Now imagine with Babel, you can get picture messaging with Google talk or Google voice becomes more group chat friendly like Google+.
This is incorrect. Google Voice text messages will remain Google Voice messages, and are not a part of Babel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.