PDA

View Full Version : iBook, iMac, or eMac?

xy14
Oct 22, 2005, 08:45 AM
I am a 16 year old kid, I plan on getting a laptop when I'm 18, and I don't know if I need one now. I don't do much to take advantage of a laptop except bring it between my mum's and grandparents' house. Sometimes I go to Dunn Bros coffee and use it there, but its more just to show it off (lol). The most I ever do is use the internet and sometimes make little apps on Xcode. Not really big stuff. I do alot of photo stuff I guess, but barely ever need to actually use Photoshop. I want to know, should I get:

An iBook G4 with an iSight and a wireless mouse

A used eMac with an iSight and bluetooth mouse and keyboard

A new iMac with bluetooth mouse and keyboard

dops7107
Oct 22, 2005, 08:52 AM
An iBook G4 with an iSight and a wireless mouse

A used eMac with an iSight and bluetooth mouse and keyboard

A new iMac with bluetooth mouse and keyboard

Um, doesn't it depend on how much you want to spend? Option 3 is surely a lot more than option 2! I suspect the iMac is most suited to your needs - you should get more longevity out of it if nothing else.

mad jew
Oct 22, 2005, 08:55 AM
The iMac is the most capable machine there, the iBook is portable and the eMac is the most affordable. It's quite difficult to decide without knowing a little more. How much would you like to spend? What's wrong with your current machine? have you thought of upgrading the RAM in your iBook rather than selling it? :)

xy14
Oct 22, 2005, 08:58 AM
I, being 16, don't have much that I need to spend my money on, so whatever it is, I'll be able to save.

xy14
Oct 22, 2005, 09:00 AM
The iMac is the most capable machine there, the iBook is portable and the eMac is the most affordable. It's quite difficult to decide without knowing a little more. How much would you like to spend? What's wrong with your current machine? have you thought of upgrading the RAM in your iBook rather than selling it? :)

How much would you like to spend?
I am willing to spend up to $1500

What's wrong with your current machine?
It seems just kind of slow and I like the feeling of getting new computers. lol

Have you thought of upgrading the ram in your ibook?
I, er, never thought about that. How much would 512mb cost to replace my 256?

dops7107
Oct 22, 2005, 09:29 AM
How much would 512mb cost to replace my 256?

This (http://www.crucial.com/) should help you out. Just use the memory selector tool and it will tell you what's compatible. I always buy my RAM from Crucial (good service, quality, reasonable price) but you can almost certainly get it cheaper if you search around.