PDA

View Full Version : Airport Problem: Will it work?

rjcalifornia
Apr 2, 2013, 09:30 AM
So, my ibook is Alive!!! Thanks to a wonderful friend :)

Anyways the main problem was the airport, well the cable that goes around the screen. So I was wondering if the Airport card would work if I don't plug in the cable that goes to the screen.

Thanks!

Nameci
Apr 2, 2013, 09:34 AM
So, my ibook is Alive!!! Thanks to a wonderful friend :)

Anyways the main problem was the airport, well the cable that goes around the screen. So I was wondering if the Airport card would work if I don't plug in the cable that goes to the screen.

Thanks!

Yes, but maybe with limited signal reception.

rjcalifornia
Apr 2, 2013, 01:45 PM
Yes, but maybe with limited signal reception.

Yes, indeed. Oh well, it was worth the try.

Do you know any usb wifi adapter fully compatible with ibook G4?

skateny
Apr 2, 2013, 02:08 PM
Yes, indeed. Oh well, it was worth the try.

Do you know any usb wifi adapter fully compatible with ibook G4?

Most are compatible with OS X. Check the chip manufacturer's Web site to ensure compatibility.

I've use a Ralink USB WiFi signal booster since my AirPort Extreme card crapped out about six months ago. I get stronger signals than I did with APE. There are always several available on eBay -- mine was $12.99, shipping included.

rjcalifornia
Apr 2, 2013, 02:16 PM
Most are compatible with OS X. Check the chip manufacturer's Web site to ensure compatibility.

I've use a Ralink USB WiFi signal booster since my AirPort Extreme card crapped out about six months ago. I get stronger signals than I did with APE. There are always several available on eBay -- mine was $12.99, shipping included.

Sweet! Thanks!

skateny
Apr 2, 2013, 02:57 PM
Sweet! Thanks!

You're welcome. Happy to help.

I initially got a USB be dongle for about seven bucks when I lost AirPort. About that time, I started looking into USB signal boosters. The claims about stronger signal reception for the boosters are accurate, compared both to the dongles and AirPort. I'm very pleased with the signal strength, link quality and range.

I did have to do some work with the drivers, since they both came with a mini-CD, and I wouldn't risk using that with my iBook's optical drive. The minis are not supported by Apple, though I'm also aware that they sometimes do work.

If you get a USB solution, and you're having problems finding the driver, it's possible I could be of some help. The main thing is to look up the chip manufacturer and not the manufacturer of the whole kit.

skateny
Apr 2, 2013, 05:12 PM
Since I depend so much on a reliable connection for my work, I got two of these in the event one of them fails.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Signal-King-Signalking-360000N-High-Power-Wireless-Usb-Wifi-Adapter-2000mW-10dbi-/170905935067?pt=US_USB_Wi_Fi_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item27cac99cdb

One stays at home, while I carry the other around with my iBook.

rjcalifornia
Apr 2, 2013, 07:01 PM
Since I depend so much on a reliable connection for my work, I got two of these in the event one of them fails.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Signal-King-Signalking-360000N-High-Power-Wireless-Usb-Wifi-Adapter-2000mW-10dbi-/170905935067?pt=US_USB_Wi_Fi_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item27cac99cdb

One stays at home, while I carry the other around with my iBook.

Wow, that's really cool! If it comes with a mini cd I have a pc that is compatible with it.

The only only problem is shipping. My country is missing haha :(

I will look for one of the same model, that seems really cool and reliable!