PDA

View Full Version : Mac OSX Install Problems - Hanging

island219
Apr 2, 2013, 02:06 PM
Hello,

I recently decided to switch out the hard drive in my '09 MacBook Pro from a 250GB to a 500GB. I decided to use a WD Scorpio Blue as I read some pretty good reviews on them for use in Apple laptops online.

Since I was making the jump from Lion -> Mountain Lion and also installing a new hard drive, I opted to create a bootable USB key to install Mountain Lion and then transfer all my data later on.

Unfortunately I've been having some issues with the installer. The drive I'm attempting to use has 1 partition on it, it is formatted to 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)' and the Partition Map Scheme is the default, 'GUID Partition Table'

The issue that's been plaguing me is the installed hanging, after I select the destination to install Mountain Lion (In this case the Partition is called HDD!) the installer starts, claiming 'Preparing to install, Your computer will restart automatically.'

To my dismay, I have sat on this screen for over 9 hours no with the progress bar not moving one pixel (I even grabbed my glasses and counted!)
After a little more investigation, resetting the SMC, PRAM and reformatting the hard drive, and then trying again, I still saw no change in the way the installed was operating.

I looked at the Installer Log for the Mac OSX installer, and it states that it is retrieving files from the apple servers (most likely language files).
My internet is of a reasonable speed, and I was able to install Mac OSX on my iMac within 30 minutes of starting using the exact same method.

Any help on this subject would be appreciated. I'm sick of waiting for hours and would love to use my laptop again (I've been attempting to configure and set this up for about 3-4 days now!)

Here's where the installer hangs:
http://i.imgur.com/9pmszqY.jpg
(Sorry for the quality, I can't take screencaps!)

island219
Apr 3, 2013, 06:26 AM
After 20 hours of waiting, with 5 minutes remaining, I got the error: Could not download additional components.

FML