Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
I didn't see this posted yet, and thought this would be of interest for Android users. Here are some quick points and caveats to be aware of:
  • 1. There is a demo version to ensure it works with your device before paying
    2. You need a Roku
    3. You have to pay for the app or you should to help the developers cause this app is 5 stars!
    4. MP4 format works well - no stuttering, about a second to buffer before playing, awesome quality. May have issues with other formats and codecs.
    5. There is a built in Roku remote which works great

I am using this app and my Roku boxes (2XS and HD variants) and it is great. You can send audio, photos, and podcasts/RSS feeds too.

Android an AirPlay-Like Replacement

by JOE PAWLIKOWSKI originally posted on 1 April (link below article)
Even unabashed Android fanboys have to give Apple some credit. They created a great system with their AirPlay sync capabilities. Play a video from certain apps on your iPad or iPhone, and you can stream them to your TV via a cheap Apple TV device. This works not only for videos you load onto your Apple device, but also many streaming services such as Netflix and HBO Go. It might be the feature I miss most after switching from iPhone to Android as my primary device.

Android users needn’t fret, though. They have alternatives as well. For years Roku has offered an alternative to Apple TV. The box and software have improved significantly in recent years, too, leaving many users with a strong impression that the Roku is better than Apple TV, especially for non-iPhone and iPad users. Yet there is still that missing AirPlay equivalent. Thankfully, one Android developer has
Juice for Roku allows you to stream movies from your Android to your Roku box. All you need to do is install the Juice channel on your Roku box and you can stream videos from your Android as long as they’re both connected to the same network. Since that’s almost always the case, Juice gives you a simple, easy way to watch video on your TV.

There are some limitations, though. For starters, Juice is not compatible with all video formats. As they tell it, you’re best off trying with MP4 files. But even then you won’t have a 100 percent success rate, since Roku doesn’t support all codecs. You can check out specific information on video compatibility here. You can’t stream from YouTube, or any other Flash service, though you can send some web-based videos to Roku. It’s also unclear how well the video will work with 3D TVs, though there have been no specific complaints.

What Juice amounts to, at this point, is a nice alternative for Android users who have a Roku instead of Apple TV. The combination seems logical enough; people with iPhones and iPads benefit from Apple TV far more than those with Android devices. Juice has a ways to go before it can be a true Apple TV AirPlay comparison, but it’s the best we have at the moment.

If you have an Android and a Roku box, you’ll want to check out the Juice for Roku Demo, which allows you to test all the features of the full device before buying. If it’s up your alley you can buy Juice for Roku for $2.99.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
http://mobilemoo.com/android/android-apps/juice-for-roku-gives-android-an-airplay-like-replacement/

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So is not airplay at all then is it.....

Seriously if the caveat is that it doesn't work with an Apple TV then that is a massive thing for anyone looking alternative for airplay on android.

Not only do you want us to buy the app, but then go out and buy a ROKU for compatability. Cost of Your cavaet suddenly skyrockets.

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided

Seriously if the caveat is that it doesn't work with an Apple TV then that is a massive thing for anyone looking alternative for airplay on android.

Not only do you want us to buy the app, but then go out and buy a ROKU for compatability. Cost of Your cavaet suddenly skyrockets.

Well there is one o' dem Nexus Qs....

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint

So, you assume everyone has an AppleTV to use Airplay? Suddenly, Airplay becomes very expensive, even for Apple users, now doesn't it? Oh, and the app demo is free and works just as well as the paid version, but paying ensures continued updates of the app and I prefer to support developers. Maybe you don't have the philosophy?

And this is the Alternative forum, isn't it? This means the people in here use other devices, and Roku is 10x better than Apple TV anyway. Not only can I use iTunes from my iMac, or just a plain directory on any PC to play my videos via Plex, but I also have about 700 other channels to choose from, I can load videos and audio via USB drives and I'm not limited to certain file formats.

Back on topic, if you are an Android and Roku users, you should give this a try.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
So, you assume everyone has an AppleTV to use Airplay? Suddenly, Airplay becomes very expensive, even for Apple users, now doesn't it? Oh, and the app demo is free and works just as well as the paid version, but paying ensures continued updates of the app and I prefer to support developers. Maybe you don't have the philosophy?

And this is the Alternative forum, isn't it? This means the people in here use other devices, and Roku is 10x better than Apple TV anyway. Not only can I use iTunes from my iMac, or just a plain directory on any PC to play my videos via Plex, but I also have about 700 other channels to choose from, I can load videos and audio via USB drives and I'm not limited to certain file formats.

Back on topic, if you are an Android and Roku users, you should give this a try.
But then it shouldn't be called "AirPlay" as that term implies AppleTV/OSX/iOS compatibility.

This is an AirPlay-clone via Android and Roku and your thread should have been labeled as such.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
But then it shouldn't be called "AirPlay" as that term implies AppleTV/OSX/iOS compatibility.

This is an AirPlay-clone via Android and Roku and your thread should have been labeled as such.

Yes, this is an Airplay equivalent. Why did I say Airplay in the title? Because most people know the name Airplay. Juice for Android is brand new and the name is not recognized.

I will change the title to "Airplay-esque", to assist the Apple people that are confused by the article. Do you have issue when people use the term "Retina"?

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
You can’t stream from YouTube, or any other Flash service, though you can send some web-based videos to Roku.

That's enough of a limitation right there for this to not be a viable option. Furthermore, this isn't mirroring. Taking it even further, there is already a mirroring solution in the Android world, and it doesn't require the user to purchase an app. With a Miracast compatible phone, an Android user can mirror their display to a compatible television or adapter.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
There's already an app that lets you use your Apple TV in the Android play store. Forget what it's called. Works decently.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
That's enough of a limitation right there for this to not be a viable option. Furthermore, this isn't mirroring. Taking it even further, there is already a mirroring solution in the Android world, and it doesn't require the user to purchase an app. With a Miracast compatible phone, an Android user can mirror their display to a compatible television or adapter.

Flash? You are pointing out that Flash is a limitation for you? :confused:

And this is a brand new app by a developer that lacks the resources of Apple. But then again, Apple put out software like Imaps and Siri, which were (and still are) Beta products when they came out, so this app is pretty impressive.

If you don't like the app or don't have an Android/Roku, why are you responding to this thread? Simply ignore it.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Flash? You are pointing out that Flash is a limitation for you? :confused:

And this is a brand new app by a developer that lacks the resources of Apple. But then again, Apple put out software like Imaps and Siri, which were (and still are) Beta products when they came out, so this app is pretty impressive.

If you don't like the app or don't have an Android/Roku, why are you responding to this thread? Simply ignore it.

So because my response did not praise app, I shouldn't have responded with it? I'm simply pointing out that this is flawed...severely. This has several limitations, and quite frankly, there are better Android solutions. That said, if you did not want responses, you probably shouldn't post it on a forum. All in all, this solution seems quite underwhelming, and has the makings of a thrown together workaround. Color me unimpressed.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So, you assume everyone has an AppleTV to use Airplay? .

Yes. Because Airplay is for the AppleTV period. It's an Apple trademarked software solution that is integrated into iOS devices and OSX 10.8 to stream content to an AppleTV.

No matter if you come up with a software solution that does similar on another device, to refer to it Airplay infers that it is for the AppleTV. So it is galling to see that it doesn't work with the AppleTV at all, especially when many users here in this forum section specifically are looking for a software solution that does work.

Your thread-title alludes to that pretense.

If your thread title was 'Android app to stream media content from Android to ROKU boxes" then it would be accurate and you wouldn't have to come out with so much pretension and fill your post with 'caveats' ....

Just because your self promotion of the app has backfired a little here, pay heed because its not of the quality of your app it hasn't worked as you planned, its because of the way you marketed it to us, features it can't deliver by even using 'airplay' as an example.

First rules of marketing is 1. Don't use wording that alludes to something you are not delivering, the mere fact your using caveats afterwards actually de-merits your application instead of trying to be positive, a caveat is always a negative. Always.

Market your app as a content streamer to ROKU devices. Drop 'airplay' connotations out of the equation and actually give your app a chance to stand on its own and not in the shadow of an Apple trademarked software solution that only alludes to compatability that you simply do not offer. That's not a caveat, its a fundemental flaw in the way you choose to present your app.

And drop the pretence and say I've developed an app rather than pretend to be someone who has just discovered it on the store. Don't treat your audience as idiots and you will get a lot more positive responses and feedback, telling posters to stay out of your thread - likewise won't win you over people. Yes your pride may be bruised, but like I say take heart because we're not trashing your actual application, but the way in which you chose to present it to us, and the way you present yourself in your responses.

Last edited:

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
There is also Samsung's upcoming HomeSync box being released this month. It's basically AirPlay for Samsung devices. I imagine it can be hacked onto another device by some developer, though.

Magically flew from my Droid DNA's screen to the insert_website_name's servers using Magic (Yes, it's that annoying little signature again.)

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Don't have airplay, so I could really care less.

Just pick up a mhl adapter and you can mirror your entire phone on your HDtv with no hassle. Games and everything.

For netflix, hulu and the rest, that's why I have an xbox (you can mirror from your phone as well but I prefer to just stream from the xbox) .

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I read the title and was excited.....then realized it is not airplay and does not pertain to appleTV =/

I honestly thought things like this already existed for things like Roku.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.