PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to see DOOM?

Demon Hunter
Oct 22, 2005, 12:05 PM
I'm seeing it tonight with my dad. I can't wait!

It's funny that we already know the human genome though.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/doom/

Lacero
Oct 22, 2005, 12:07 PM
Trailer looks good. The lead actor played the bad guy in The Bourne Supremacy.

Demon Hunter
Oct 22, 2005, 12:48 PM
Yeah. It's disappointing that the monsters aren't from "Hell" so to speak, but I guess that would make it more of a horror film.

PlaceofDis
Oct 22, 2005, 12:55 PM
it certianly doesnt look like the best script, but does look fun! i hope to get a chance to go soon!

homerjward
Oct 22, 2005, 12:56 PM
i was supposed to go to day but my parents arent letting me see it because of its rating...and i'm 15 so i cant go see it anyway...ill prolly download it i guess if i can find it

greatdevourer
Oct 22, 2005, 01:07 PM
I'm going, but I know the IT guy at the company that did their advertising, and he says it's **** :p

ReanimationLP
Oct 22, 2005, 01:28 PM
I thought it was [expletive deleted] awesome.

Jigglelicious
Oct 22, 2005, 02:05 PM
Reviews so far are saying its the worst video game to movie adaptation - ever. Yes, even worse than Super Mario Bros. I think i'll pass.

p0intblank
Oct 22, 2005, 02:17 PM
Reviews so far are saying its the worst video game to movie adaptation - ever. Yes, even worse than Super Mario Bros. I think i'll pass.

LOL Damn that's funny! The worst game-to-movie experience I've had was House of the Dead in theaters. *shivers*

iDM
Oct 22, 2005, 02:21 PM
LOL Damn that's funny! The worst game-to-movie experience I've had was House of the Dead in theaters. *shivers*

Well now you got me interested what would be considered the best one? I saw Resident Evil and I played the game a bunch. I still liked the game better for PS, one of the few games that literally scared the **** out of me on multiple occasions. (Anyone remember first walking down that one hallway in the mansion and the dogs jump through the windows?? I nearly **** myself)

I saw an interview with "The Rock" and he was surprisingly funny cool and down to earth or so it seemed. I just assumed he was a tool.

p0intblank
Oct 22, 2005, 02:24 PM
My favorite game-to-movie translation would definitely have to be Resident Evil. The acting was a little off, but I definitely enjoyed it more than I did House of the Dead. What a horrible movie... but yeah, cool movies: both RE and RE:A.

Artful Dodger
Oct 22, 2005, 02:44 PM
I saw it last night and all I can say is the movie is like only getting 1/2 way through the game. I wish there were more of the larger creatures in it but I still enjoyed it (best was first person shooting and the BFG).
Can I get a whooooraaahhh!

Dagless
Oct 22, 2005, 03:18 PM
not me. I dont see many films unless they're really good and the last 8 or so American films i've seen have not interested me one bit, turning me away from Hollywood films actually.

That film can stick its 2 and a half minutes of faux acting and their 2 hours of effects where the sun.. um.. dont shine?
actually i think i'll watch That'll be the Day later.

greatdevourer
Oct 22, 2005, 04:01 PM
My favorite game-to-movie translation would definitely have to be Resident Evil. The acting was a little off, but I definitely enjoyed it more than I did House of the Dead. What a horrible movie... but yeah, cool movies: both RE and RE:A. Resident Evil was better than a load of movies, and by far the best of any game movies

xelterran
Oct 22, 2005, 04:38 PM
making a movie based on a game that was nothing more than a technology testbed? nice move. The trailer looks pretty stupid too

Demon Hunter
Oct 22, 2005, 05:15 PM

Huh? IGN gave it a 3/5... that being said, those who expect great plot/characterization either don't understand the Doom franchise or can't appreciate a live-action BFG. :)

And there is nothing worse than "Super Mario Bros."

clayj
Oct 22, 2005, 05:24 PM
Trailer looks good. The lead actor played the bad guy in The Bourne Supremacy.Well... Karl Urban ain't exactly the lead in this movie... that "honor" belongs to Dwayne Johnson, a.k.a. The Rock.

The only reason I am even thinking about seeing this movie is to see Rosamund Pike. <rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr>

Dr. Dastardly
Oct 22, 2005, 06:01 PM
Rotten Tomatoes (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/doom/) gave it a solid 19%. :rolleyes:

Edit: Is this edit feature new? It use to open up a whole new page, now I can edit right in the post already on the thread. Just noticed it pretty nifty!

Demon Hunter
Oct 22, 2005, 06:08 PM
Rotten Tomatoes (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/doom/) gave it a solid 19%. :rolleyes:

Edit: Is this edit feature new? It use to open up a whole new page, now I can edit right in the post already on the thread. Just noticed it pretty nifty!

I go there for all my movie reviews. :rolleyes:

Yeah it is, they just upgraded the forum software.

Dagless
Oct 22, 2005, 06:47 PM

heh maybe its just the people i know but the guys at university go ape over this film. I've always liked it. remember when I was like 5 or something, read in a Nintendo magazine that there was to be a Mario film and I remember asking my dad "why do films take so long? they're only short!"
:)

wrxguy
Oct 22, 2005, 06:55 PM
I may be going to see this tonight any one actually SEEN it and can say yes or no?

Lacero
Oct 22, 2005, 07:23 PM
Nothing worse? How about Ron Jeremy as Mario. *shudders*

fklehman
Oct 22, 2005, 08:58 PM
Nothing worse? How about Ron Jeremy as Mario. *shudders*

ROTFL...I can only dimly remember the SMB movie, and it was BAD. At least Doom has chainsaws and little crawly hell critters in it. I actually don't know much about the original Doom, I only played Doom II on my PowerMac 7100/80 back in the day (ran pretty good). I take it the plot of the original was pretty similar? I may rent the movie, because the only un-trashy cinema around here is a Regal that charges $9.25. Regal can stuff it unless the film in question fulfilss two criteria: A) it looks really good, and B) it's the kind of movie you really need to see in the theatre.

Last 3 movies I saw at the cinema:

1) The Aristocrats (was an exception to the rules b/c it was only $5 at a university film festival)
2) War of the Worlds
3) Star Wars: Episode III

dmw007
Oct 22, 2005, 09:10 PM
I want to go see it- loved the game!

bousozoku
Oct 22, 2005, 09:17 PM
I don't think so. When the local people give 2 stars to really bad films and this one got half a star, it's not worth even $6.50. Perhaps, I'll see it when it's in the bargain DVDs at Best Buy or Wal-Mart.

rickvanr
Oct 22, 2005, 10:24 PM
This is weird, I've seen lots of interviews, and all I've heard are good things. I've heard its a mindless action movie, and hey as much as I love movies with plot, you need a good action movie now and again, and I think this movie will foot the bill. Independence Day got a horrible reaction from critics, and it was huge.

bousozoku
Oct 22, 2005, 10:31 PM
This is weird, I've seen lots of interviews, and all I've heard are good things. I've heard its a mindless action movie, and hey as much as I love movies with plot, you need a good action movie now and again, and I think this movie will foot the bill. Independence Day got a horrible reaction from critics, and it was huge.

Independence Day at least had an improbable plot. Doom has nothing but shooting and a nutzo leader from what I understand.

dmw007
Oct 22, 2005, 10:43 PM
Independence Day at least had an improbable plot. Doom has nothing but shooting and a nutzo leader from what I understand.

And that makes it different from most action movies? ;)

But I agree, Independence Day was a good movie.

Demon Hunter
Oct 22, 2005, 11:17 PM
I don't think so. When the local people give 2 stars to really bad films and this one got half a star, it's not worth even $6.50. Perhaps, I'll see it when it's in the bargain DVDs at Best Buy or Wal-Mart.

Ouch. But I doubt the "local people" even know what FPS stands for, so keep that in mind.

Well I just saw it. It's really simple. If you like Doom, go see it. If you're a gamer, this is a testament to the most famous FPS ever!! What are you waiting for?

Here's my quick overview.

Thumbs down:
NO Hell
You can't have Doom without Hell. It's just not the same. It's like Mac without Mac OS. We already knew this, but there wasn't enough demonic influence. This is why Doom 3 can freak the living **** out of you.

Zombies
Kind of cheesy. I wish they had been more like Doom 3 zombies.

Plot
The human genome thing just cracks me up. They did talk about the archaeological efforts of the UAC. Doom has plot, but only some are able to appreciate it. :)

Thumbs up:
Music
Better than expected, but still nothing compared to the soundtracks of the Doom games.

Rosamund Pike
;)

Live-action BFG
Need I say more? Sarge spends like five minutes just admiring it. I could not help but applaud when I saw this, confirming my geekdom.

FPS scene
Best part of the movie, very well done. Not scary though. This is like your first mission in Doom 3, just some zombies.

Feels like UAC
The rooms, the environment, the computers, bloody scientists, AWESOME!

Conclusion
For fans of the FPS genre, there is a lot to be happy about. The entire movie is a testament to the work of id Software, from the use of game artwork to the Doom-style credits. Doom fans will appreciate the film's subtle details and the best scene of the movie, the live-action chainsaw fight with a Pinky Demon.

It's far from a true adaption, however, nor does it represent the Doom franchise by any stretch of the imagination. It is not scary at all... and I think it's fair to say we're proud of Doom's ability to terrify.

Fans of horror have nothing to see here; there's a good bit of sci-fi, though. Like so many video-game adaptions, most people will not appreciate the effort. id Software's creative genius sometimes shows, but is more often clouded by Hollywood's poor attempts at acting and changing a masterpiece.

In short, a good "hoorah!" for Doom and FPS fans. Although it leaves MUCH to be desired, I recommend you see it right away! :)

eXan
Oct 22, 2005, 11:28 PM
I'm going to see Doom when it comes here (27 oct)

eXan
Oct 23, 2005, 12:13 AM
I'm going to see it when it comes here (oct 27)

EDIT: oops sorry for double-post! When I 1st posted this my Internet disconnected and I thought it didnt post

bousozoku
Oct 23, 2005, 12:19 AM
Ouch. But I doubt the "local people" even know what FPS stands for, so keep that in mind.

Considering that they went into detail about the game first, they might. I'm not saying that they're right...I just find that they're not completely off base.

crachoar
Oct 23, 2005, 08:35 AM
Looks to be the worst film ever made.

If I ran the universe - I would execute those responsible - as well as those supporting this film.

Dont Hurt Me
Oct 23, 2005, 08:54 AM
Looks to be the worst film ever made.

If I ran the universe - I would execute those responsible - as well as those supporting this film.
Problem is you have a great fun story that gets muffed up by hollywood. Changing the story crap like that. They should have said to the studios the movie must follow the game no deviation of storyline. These things were from hell what happened?!@#$%^Hollywood Execs no doubt.

mrzeve
Oct 23, 2005, 09:02 AM
When it comes to judgeing movies I'm the most negative person in the world.

But...this was actually suprisingly good. The Rock does a great job and there is so much great dialogue throughout the movie.

The action is awesome to.

Definitely worth the 10 bucks.

Dagless
Oct 23, 2005, 09:21 AM
whoa you wouldn't pay $9 to see a film?! come to england. $9/5 is the running figure for most places. cheapest I can see a film for is 3.50/$6 and thats with student discount and all that.

*forever surprised at how americans think their country is a rip off

jared_kipe
Oct 23, 2005, 10:04 AM
I go there for all my movie reviews. :rolleyes:

Yeah it is, they just upgraded the forum software.
New edit feature?

EDIT: YESSS

fklehman
Oct 23, 2005, 11:05 AM
whoa you wouldn't pay $9 to see a film?! come to england. $9/5 is the running figure for most places. cheapest I can see a film for is 3.50/$6 and thats with student discount and all that.

*forever surprised at how americans think their country is a rip off

Well, let's be fair about this--I lived in England for a year of my life and am well aware that a movie that costs nine dollars in the states probably costs nine pounds in England. Fair enough. But what's your point? It's ridiculous to sit there and say that you have it so much tougher in your country because you're paying for things in pounds, because you're getting PAID in pounds while we're getting paid in dollars. In most respects you're talking about two economies with the same standard of living and the same relative prices; if you ignore the exchange rate, a pound buys the same thing in your economy that a dollar would buy in ours. If you were getting paid your salary in U.S. dollars and had to then go pay nine pounds for the cinema, I would feel sorry for you. But you're not. So you don't really have it any tougher.

Edit: I freely admit that gas(petrol) prices are one notable exception to my argument.

imac9556
Oct 23, 2005, 11:06 AM
Watched it last night w/ my friends. I thought it was a pretty good movie, but they thought it was very "fake", but good. :)
Not bad movie, now I need to buy the game ;)

dmw007
Oct 23, 2005, 06:27 PM
Watched it last night w/ my friends. I thought it was a pretty good movie, but they thought it was very "fake", but good. :)
Not bad movie, now I need to buy the game ;)

What could possibly be fake about DOOM? ;) :)

Lacero
Oct 23, 2005, 06:29 PM
LOL. Ebert gives it one star.

dmw007
Oct 23, 2005, 06:36 PM
New edit feature?

EDIT: YESSS

Yes, and it works lovely! :) :) :)

GoCubsGo
Oct 23, 2005, 06:57 PM
I want to see if for the simple fact that it is Doom. For example, I had to see Fantastic 4 because it was what made Marvel Comics in the beginning. And I'll buy the DVD to get the look into X-Men 3 (squirt). But in all seriousness, I am not sure what to expect from Doom and I think the Rock is a moron so really I'm alreadying disliking it.

Demon Hunter
Oct 23, 2005, 07:01 PM
Doom 3 on a PC with dual 7800 SLI graphics, hooked up to a HD display, 7.1 surround sound, complete darkness... now THAT is a movie.

You would probably need psychological treatment with a setup like that. :D

(I would say Mac with 4x 30" screens but there's no 7800 or SLI... yet)

dmw007
Oct 23, 2005, 07:12 PM
Doom 3 on a PC with dual 7800 SLI graphics, hooked up to a HD display, 7.1 surround sound, complete darkness... now THAT is a movie.

You would probably need psychological treatment with a setup like that. :D

(I would say Mac with 4x 30" screens but there's no 7800 or SLI... yet)

Ya, you would probably need psychological treatment after that. :) ;)

rickvanr
Oct 23, 2005, 11:38 PM
Well, Ebert and Roeper slammed it.

Skareb
Oct 24, 2005, 05:12 AM
I'm seeing it tonight with my dad.
Is released on Thursday here in Australia.

Jordan

ijimk
Oct 24, 2005, 07:27 AM
i may see it this coming weekend. I hope it is good, i have been hearing all mixed reviews

dmw007
Oct 24, 2005, 09:04 AM
i may see it this coming weekend. I hope it is good, i have been hearing all mixed reviews

Go and see it anyway, it could turn out to be great.

paulypants
Oct 24, 2005, 09:17 AM
Looks like possibly one of the worst movies...ever.

dmw007
Oct 24, 2005, 11:25 AM
Looks like possibly one of the worst movies...ever.

But people will still go to see it because it is one of the best games ever!

~Shard~
Oct 24, 2005, 01:32 PM
I'll be avoiding this one, thanks. I'm a big Doom fan, but game->movie adaptations have never done it for me. Although I know people say sometimes you just need a good mindless action flick, I prefer to watch movies with actual plots and which have substance to them - and further to that, I've seen many action movies which accomplish this, so it's not just an attribute of a particular genre. I am not surprised in the least that there are so many poor reviews of this movie. :cool: