Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
I had my local Mac repair shop install a 128GB SSD into my Mini (late 2011) and move my current 500GB HDD to the second bay to use for all my personal media.

It has been working great but now I've noticed almost everytime after I leave it sleeping overnight or for a long period of time, I'll wake it up, launch safari (anything), it will run for 5 seconds, crash, then the whole Mac freezes. Beach ball to infinity. I've had to hard booth everytime. Force quit won't work.

Is there something I did wrong? Anyway I can fix this?? I have applecare but it is probably voided now after the install :(

Also I've noticed everytime right before it crashes the calendar app icon is transparent? Only that one though....

Does anyone have any ideas? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364996062.993491.jpg

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
I really hope i didn't ruin my 1500 machine.... :( I even paid the mac reapir guys $150 to do this install because I knew it was kinda challegening and I didn't want to mess it up

mac kristof

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2012
Hello.
The solution is easy (i had the same issues).

You should check the manufacturer of your ssd - go to website & find out how to upgrade it's FIRMWARE (i have agility 4 256 from OCZ).

it should help
(skip all trim stuff - it's pointless.)

cheers.

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
[/COLOR]
Hello.
The solution is easy (i had the same issues).

You should check the manufacturer of your ssd - go to website & find out how to upgrade it's FIRMWARE (i have agility 4 256 from OCZ).

it should help
(skip all trim stuff - it's pointless.)

cheers.

I purchased this from OWC

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDEX6G120/

120GB
Mercury Electra™ 6G SSD
2.5" Serial-ATA 9.5mm Solid State Drive

---------

so your mini was doing the same thing? Freezing after sleep? which SSD do you have?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Have you tried Repair Disk using disk utility?

You need to launch into a different partition to do that.

i could but I'm not sure what they would be able to do to help. I'll try the firmware thing first.. assuming mine doesn't already have the latest version

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
Have you tried Repair Disk using disk utility?

You need to launch into a different partition to do that.

no I have not. how would this work? right now my SSD is my boot drive, the OS and all my apps are on it. my 'Media HDD' just stores my iTunes and iPhoto libraries and then lots of software .dmg's I have archived to it

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
no panic logs in the library that I saw. Upgrading the firmware now... I'm on 506ABBF0 and the current is 507ABBF0

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
no panic logs in the library that I saw. Upgrading the firmware now... I'm on 506ABBF0 and the current is 507ABBF0

Ah, Ok no panic logs, hope the firmware does the trick.

If you ever nee to repair the disk you can first check in Disk Utility, click on the disk and check disk, this won't repair the disk since it is the boot disk.
For repair you need tp start from a disk other than your internal, the easiest way is to hold Command-R and boot into Recovery where you find Disk Utility to repair the disk.

Oh, and some advice, if you haven't done so, keep a recent backup!

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
no I have not. how would this work? right now my SSD is my boot drive, the OS and all my apps are on it. my 'Media HDD' just stores my iTunes and iPhoto libraries and then lots of software .dmg's I have archived to it

You can boot into the OS X recovery partition (hold option while restarting, and choose), open disk utility, and do repair disk from that.

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
i tired to update the firmware but haven't been able to. I have the .iso file and disk utility doesnt let me create a bootable flash drive out of it... and who has DVD's or a DVD reader laying around anymore?

not this guy.....

I'll try the repair disk

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
i tired to update the firmware but haven't been able to. I have the .iso file and disk utility doesnt let me create a bootable flash drive out of it...

Why is this, is it giving an Error or what, care to explain a bit more.

I never had trouble with DU on 10.5.8 on my Powerbook, had plenty since I got my 2012 Mini 2 months ago, DU is (much) worse than before.

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
Why is this, is it giving an Error or what, care to explain a bit more.

I never had trouble with DU on 10.5.8 on my Powerbook, had plenty since I got my 2012 Mini 2 months ago, DU is (much) worse than before.

Could not validate source - Invalid Argument

I found some instructions online how to create it through terminal, and I did that, but when I reboot and hold option the flash drive doesn't show up as one of my bootable options.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Could not validate source - Invalid Argument

I found some instructions online how to create it through terminal, and I did that, but when I reboot and hold option the flash drive doesn't show up as one of my bootable options.

I had that a couple of times, then when I moved it to my Powerbook on 10.5.8 it had no troubles with it, that's why I say Disk Utility sucks now.

If you have Toast try with that.

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
I had that a couple of times, then when I moved it to my Powerbook on 10.5.8 it had no troubles with it, that's why I say Disk Utility sucks now.

If you have Toast try with that.

here's what I see

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-04 at 5.48.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-04 at 5.48.45 PM.png
    150.7 KB · Views: 225

Edge

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2005
How old is the SSD?

There is/was an issue with Sandforce-based SSDs and sleep/hibernation. I believe the Mercury Electra is Sandforce 2281 based.

Check with OWC Support, and make sure you have up-to-date firmware.

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
How old is the SSD?

There is/was an issue with Sandforce-based SSDs and sleep/hibernation. I believe the Mercury Electra is Sandforce 2281 based.

Check with OWC Support, and make sure you have up-to-date firmware.

i ordered it at the beginning of march, got it like march 10th. the newest firmware came out the 15th.

Yep, that's the infamous one yet if I get that on my 2012 Mini I move it over to the powerbook and it works.

----------

If you have windows on the Mac try there maybe.

I guess I can try to get something on my PC at work to boot to this flash drive

An ISO is typically a pirated copy made for another purpose.

What OS X version do you have? You have Messages app so I suspect you have a restore partition on your drive.

I have mountain lion. yes I do have a restore partition, but how's that going to help? I have the .iso of the latest firmware for my SSD... just have no way to install it :eek:

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
ok something is messed up... I can't even burn it on my windows PC. It says the .iso file is not valid.,..... i'm downloading directly from OWC site.:confused:

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Before the SSD got added... was the HDD your boot drive? If the answer is yes, my guess would be that the shop that did the SSD install didn't touch the HDD and it would still be bootable.

Try to boot from the HDD inside of your Mac. Shut down your machine. Turn it back on and at the same time hold down the option key and keep it down until the boot selection menu appears. If you see your Media HHD, select it as your boot drive and away you go. Then you could use it to check and repair the SSD if it is needed using the Disk Utility app.

Your SSD is new and the firmware that it shipped with is not old. It should work just fine with your Mac.

You could have a faulty SSD or more likely when the machine was re-assembled after the SSD install a cable was not properly seated and it making poor contact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.