PDA

View Full Version : New to software synths. Are there any good freeware options?

W1MRK
Apr 3, 2013, 10:28 AM
Hello all. Just bought a Roland a-800pro and am looking for your input on any good software synth programs for my macbook air that will not break the bank or are freeware. Very small budget reamins after keyboard purchase. Will be saving up for Logic pro eventually.

Thank you all.

Mikey

spoonie1972
Apr 3, 2013, 12:48 PM
head on over to KVR audio. Lots of information and links to cheap/free stuff.

bwhli
Apr 3, 2013, 01:35 PM
Buy MainStage from the App Store. $30, and you can download all the additional content for free.

ChrisA
Apr 3, 2013, 05:48 PM
Hello all. Just bought a Roland a-800pro and am looking for your input on any good software synth programs for my macbook air that will not break the bank or are freeware. Very small budget reamins after keyboard purchase. Will be saving up for Logic pro eventually.

Thank you all.

Mikey

Have you looked at Garage Band? It should already be installed on your Macbook. It comes with a few samples to get you started.

W1MRK
Apr 3, 2013, 08:53 PM
thank you all for the responses. Yes I am using Garage Band, and will be adding some loops as well :) That should get me by for quite some time hopefully.

BigRed1
Apr 4, 2013, 08:42 PM
Save up for Logic. It's your best bet. Komplete Elements looks like a good deal, too.

W1MRK
Apr 5, 2013, 10:27 AM
Buy MainStage from the App Store. $30, and you can download all the additional content for free.

It shows 19gb of extras on the mac app store under this. So basically I can purchase this and get all the apple loops that come with Logic Pro??? Will it interface with Garageband also?

Thank you

bwhli
Apr 8, 2013, 11:17 AM
It shows 19gb of extras on the mac app store under this. So basically I can purchase this and get all the apple loops that come with Logic Pro??? Will it interface with Garageband also?

Thank you

Yup! Great deal.

BigRed1
Apr 8, 2013, 01:57 PM
I think the loops will interface with GarageBand, but the other software effects and instruments will not. You may be able to get them shoehorned in using sound flower or something, but I've not seen it done.

W1MRK
Apr 8, 2013, 07:58 PM
Thank you all :)

MacinDan
Apr 11, 2013, 04:03 PM
Crystal. It's an AU plug-in and can be downloaded here (http://www.greenoak.com/crystal/indexDesktop.html).

paolo-
Apr 12, 2013, 01:38 AM
u-he's Tyriell n6. Great synth and it's free. Here's the latest version http://www.amazona.de/2013/04/amazona-de-freeware-synthesizer-tyrell-n6-v3/ It was done in collaboration with a german magazine so that's why the site is in German.