Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmbooks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2005
California
Just bought a charge cord that has this as male usb connector. Anyone recognize what sort of connector it is? It doesn't look like any usb I've seen.

thanks, Paul

Attachments

• strange-usb.jpg
    strange-usb.jpg
    983.1 KB · Views: 204

pmbooks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2005
California
Just a different way of designing the USB Type A male connector, that's all.

Thanks, I think I may need to look more closely. The last thing I want to do is jam something into my MBP that could bend the element in the usb port. (It felt like it did not fit when I first tried.)

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
It's a solid block, as you can see in the photo, so there's no upside down (as far as fitting it in).

There might be a right side as far as the electronics go. If you look at the picture of the USB ports you'll see there is more room at the bottom end of the port, which is where that piece should fit in to. And I guess I meant to say that you might have been trying to insert it into the wrong portion of the USB port.
macbook-pro-mid-2011-review-2.jpg

pmbooks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2005
California
There might be a right side as far as the electronics go. If you look at the picture of the USB ports you'll see there is more room at the bottom end of the port, which is where that piece should fit in to. And I guess I meant to say that you might have been trying to insert it into the wrong portion of the USB port.

I'm not a total dufus (only partial), so I know about the ports, but you said perhaps I had "it" upside down. Were you referring to the computer itself? (sorry, sarcastic).

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
I'm not a total dufus (only partial), so I know about the ports, but you said perhaps I had "it" upside down. Were you referring to the computer itself? (sorry, sarcastic).

lol. Just a poor choice of words on my part I guess. Regardless, it should fit. Just don't try and jam it in there too hard.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
but you said perhaps I had "it" upside down. Were you referring to the computer itself? (sorry, sarcastic).
The cable connector relative to the port regardless of the MBP's actual orientation. The contacts on the connector in your photo are at the "top" of the connector. They mate with the contacts in the USB port of the MBP. The contacts in the connector in the MBP are on the underside of the plastic piece within the port. If you look carefully you'll see the contacts.

The connector in your photo just doesn't have the metal shroud that's typically on USB type A connectors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.