PDA

View Full Version : iOS 7 search screen?

BlueHusky
Apr 3, 2013, 11:46 AM
Going along the recent excitement for iOS7..

What do you guys feel about the search screen that is located on the left side of the iPhone?

I feel as if no one really utilities that search page and it takes up a whole page left of the home screen of the iPhone, which can honestly be changed for another new feature? (make iOS less dull?)

Quite possibly, wouldn't it be a great idea for apple to use this page for another feature for the iPhone?

Don't me wrong.. lets keep the search bar but there could be many uses to this whole page:cool:

Perhaps instead of making the keyboard automatically pop-up by going to the search page. Why not have it pop up only after you click on the search bar and make use of the space below the search screen?

Yea.. of course apple will not care what we think but..What do you guys think?

CTHarrryH
Apr 3, 2013, 11:54 AM
I have never used the search page - don't expect I ever will and find it as annoying to have it there as I find newstand and game center.

Searching app should be brought up with an ICON like everything else.

CalmEnvy
Apr 3, 2013, 12:36 PM
I think the search screen is just a waste. In my opinion they should just get rid of it and just incorporate the search bar into say the notification centre or somewhere else.

typeadam
Apr 3, 2013, 12:41 PM
It would be nice if it doubled as a live Internet search bar as well..

Dwalls90
Apr 3, 2013, 12:48 PM
Making it an internet search bar would totally be a rip from Android, but whatever.

That said, it's PRIME space for widgets, toggles or additional notifications!

BlueHusky
Apr 3, 2013, 01:39 PM
Yea i agree with you guys. I think that the search bar is definitely a waste. It really feels as though that no one really uses it.

I think that if apple used that page to turn it into something for widgets? or something creative.. it could possibly be a great feature that could give the iOS a new feature.

I mean a whole page that no one uses!

RoelJuun
Apr 3, 2013, 01:39 PM
I'm sorry but I'm using the search screen all the time. I'm not wasting time searching through folders to find that specific app. I also like to call someone, find tracks in the music player and so on.

Searching could be better though, categories could be shown at the bottom to quickly toggle between apps/docs/music etc.

BlueHusky
Apr 3, 2013, 01:43 PM
Making it an internet search bar would totally be a rip from Android, but whatever.

That said, it's PRIME space for widgets, toggles or additional notifications!

BTW Dwalls.. How do you put a photo under your username? as in the green logo you have under your username that shows up when you post.

----------

I'm sorry but I'm using the search screen all the time. I'm not wasting time searching through folders to find that specific app. I also like to call someone, find tracks in the music player and so on.

Searching could be better though, categories could be shown at the bottom to quickly toggle between apps/docs/music etc.

What I meant was that the search bar should be kept. But instead of having the keyboard automatically pop up each time you go to the search screen, only have it pop up after you click on the search bar and have the space below the search bar used for other purposes.

Marbles1
Apr 3, 2013, 01:46 PM
Flick to right and immediately get keyboard + search box in focus is the quickest way to run any app on the iPhone. Great feature and glad it's kept. A lot of us have 100+ apps installed in various folders and 6+ screens.

BlueHusky
Apr 3, 2013, 01:50 PM
Flick to right and immediately get keyboard + search box in focus is the quickest way to run any app on the iPhone. Great feature and glad it's kept. A lot of us have 100+ apps installed in various folders and 6+ screens.

Agreed in its usefulness, but what if?

like the space below be used for widgets or some other kind of feature?

perhaps other short cuts?

Do you think it would be be too cumbersome to have the flick right screen and click on the search bar?

if you look at the photo~ so much space wasted? No?

Dwalls90
Apr 3, 2013, 01:59 PM
BTW Dwalls.. How do you put a photo under your username? as in the green logo you have under your username that shows up when you post.

----------

What I meant was that the search bar should be kept. But instead of having the keyboard automatically pop up each time you go to the search screen, only have it pop up after you click on the search bar and have the space below the search bar used for other purposes.

I think you mean blue right?

Go to User CP and then edit avatar.

chrisrosemusic1
Apr 3, 2013, 02:02 PM

----------

You have to have 500 posts on your profile to enable an avatar.. There's a few little perks that come as you become a more established member. You will also see a 'marketplace' forum for second hand sales once you hit 250 or so posts.

BlueHusky
Apr 3, 2013, 02:09 PM
You have to have 500 posts on your profile to enable an avatar.. There's a few little perks that come as you become a more established member. You will also see a 'marketplace' forum for second hand sales once you hit 250 or so posts.

Oh.. Never Knew that! that is pretty cool! I been reading Macrumors daily for 5+ years but only just decided to get involved in the forum now.. :)

You also have a retina 13" How are you liking it?

chrisrosemusic1
Apr 3, 2013, 02:56 PM
Oh.. Never Knew that! that is pretty cool! I been reading Macrumors daily for 5+ years but only just decided to get involved in the forum now.. :)

You also have a retina 13" How are you liking it?

Best computer I've ever owned to be honest.

Had initial wifi problems for a week or two but perseverance paid off.

The battery life in terms of standby is phenomenal - it lasts a week like my iPad :)

Only negative is the lack of discreet GPU cos any form of gaming is beyond woeful so I have to go back to the PS3 for that :rolleyes:

BlueHusky
Apr 3, 2013, 03:13 PM
I moved up from a MacBook Air hd4000 and tbh hd4000 is not that bad. I can play Dota 2 full graphics. Although, it's true that if you think about the price, the gaming is horrible to what we could have bought, had we bought a PC.

Most likely haswell is going fix it for all the non early adopters

chrisrosemusic1
Apr 3, 2013, 03:21 PM
I moved up from a MacBook Air hd4000 and tbh hd4000 is not that bad. I can play Dota 2 full graphics. Although, it's true that if you think about the price, the gaming is horrible to what we could have bought, had we bought a PC.

Most likely haswell is going fix it for all the non early adopters

I don't think haswell will be as evolutionary as everyone seems to think - it's still an onboard GPU. Dedicated will still give more power for a long time to come. It just doesn't 'fit' with the size Apple wants these computers to be :)

roxxette
Apr 3, 2013, 03:36 PM

Doesnt it ?

Hexiii
Apr 3, 2013, 03:38 PM
Interesting how quickly can the OP go off-topic in his own thread. :)

BlueHusky
Apr 3, 2013, 03:49 PM
Interesting how quickly can the OP go off-topic in his own thread. :)

Lol... Just felt as if no one was interested in talking about it :(

----------

Well I think there should be a dedicated search bar for the phone. Or apple would have to go to google again in order to get Internet search out of it. (Yes bing and yahoo but.. Who uses them?? Seriously)

As someone mentioned perhaps a live feed widget would be pretty cool. There is so much space below the search bar!

I seriously think that some better use should come out of the search bar page, while also keep the search bar there.

bushido
Apr 3, 2013, 03:57 PM
i havent used this search screen ever on any of my 4 iPhones.

i think they could use the wasted space for some live widgets

canucksfan88
Apr 3, 2013, 04:01 PM
i have never used it. this page should be used for widgets and a search widget should be available for those who would like it.

cmChimera
Apr 4, 2013, 10:49 AM
I use spotlight frequently, every day. Mostly for looking for music, but I use it for contacts as well.

Sirious
Apr 5, 2013, 08:55 AM
I've never used Spotlight Search on my iOS devices. Never saw the need to.

Iknow where everything is on my devices and if I want to search for something, I use Safari :p

beMaC
Apr 5, 2013, 11:43 AM
Never used it in any of my previous iPhones, and this thread has actually made me realize how useful it is, quick way to find contacts, music, apps etc.

Few widgets placed in the space below would definitely come in handy aswell

Gav2k
Apr 5, 2013, 11:48 AM

Already does

typeadam
Apr 5, 2013, 01:08 PM
Already does

I just tried it again and it doesn't. Not sure if you're misunderstanding me or what but it doesn't.

haydn!
Apr 5, 2013, 01:13 PM
I just tried it again and it doesn't. Not sure if you're misunderstanding me or what but it doesn't.

In a sense it does... the last results are always "search the web" and "search wikipedia".

typeadam
Apr 5, 2013, 01:29 PM
In a sense it does... the last results are always "search the web" and "search wikipedia".

Yeah I follow that...
But my original "wish" was live web search.
Like Chrome's Suggestive Search (or whatever it's called).
And how the search bar on an Android phone works.

haydn!
Apr 5, 2013, 03:40 PM
Yeah I follow that...
But my original "wish" was live web search.
And how the search bar on an Android phone works.

Still integrated with local search? I'm intrigued. How would you envisage that working? (not technically, but visually?)

aDRock1154
Apr 5, 2013, 03:54 PM
Only time I ever use it is if i'm opening an app on my wife's iPhone.

It saves a ton of time because she has pages (and pages) with apps and folders.

typeadam
Apr 5, 2013, 04:07 PM
Still integrated with local search? I'm intrigued. How would you envisage that working? (not technically, but visually?)

It's been 2 years since I've owned an Android so I cannot remember how it was done. But I know it was one of my fav. features - being able to search ON the device and ON the net simultaneously.
If I remember correctly, if there were local results, it would display those first. The list would be like 10 results long then there would be a "see more" button and further down the list after that button were the web results. And if there were no local results it would just show the suggestive search results from the web on the list.
If anyone here has an Android still they can probably explain it better.

Akarin
May 6, 2013, 07:14 AM
Since I use an iPhone (iOS 4), I've never ever used that screen. And I curse when I bring it by mistake when clicking on the home button.

Abazigal
May 6, 2013, 07:43 AM
I have never used the search page - don't expect I ever will and find it as annoying to have it there as I find newstand and game center.

I use it primarily to quickly retrieve contacts of people I want to call or message. Surprisingly quite a pain in IOS...:o

Slix
May 6, 2013, 08:47 AM
Why not add a button for Siri there too? It is useful sometimes, especially when using someone else's iOS device and need to find a certain app, but I agree, a live internet search feature would be great there too.

ncaissie
May 6, 2013, 09:51 AM

That makes no sense. Why should we have to click in the text box when it is the only thing on the screen?
I'm sure glad you are not designing the UI.

I use the search all the time and like it there. :rolleyes:

ike08
May 6, 2013, 04:48 PM
I really like to see dictionary and calculator integration. Also an ability to type questions for Siri instead of speaking would be nice (Siri doesn't always understand me :p).

Richardgm
May 6, 2013, 05:23 PM
I'm actually surprised many don't use Spotlight.

I use it all the time when I don't remember where my app is located (I have over 100 apps), when I want to play a song, when I want to find a contact and call them quickly & searching through my over 1,000 notes.

I can't say I've ever used it for another reason, like calendar and text messages though. Worse, searching the Internet.

.Asa
May 6, 2013, 08:03 PM
There's a cydia tweak called SpotLock that just sleeps the device when you swipe to the search page. I find it very useful.

DenisAuermann
May 7, 2013, 06:32 AM

Gav2k
May 7, 2013, 06:42 AM
No it doesn't. It just directs you to a Wikipedia search or Safari search. The bar itself doesn't do any searching per se.

It offers you the choice to expand your search. Putting a 'tap' in the way is a good thing for people with limited data packages

Mrg02d
May 7, 2013, 12:36 PM
I use the search everyday. I keep all apps in folders since I hate my home screen looking like an app drawer.

Kuwait
May 7, 2013, 06:06 PM
I have never used the search page and many people don't care about the search page

C DM
May 7, 2013, 07:02 PM
I use the search everyday. I keep all apps in folders since I hate my home screen looking like an app drawer.I have never used the search page and many people don't care about the search pageSo, there...makes it pretty much pointless to say how many people use it or don't use it.

DavidEther
May 8, 2013, 03:54 PM
I still say get rid of that page and turn it into an optional Notification Center widget. Or one you can pull down on like the search bar in many iOS apps. Would be way more accessible that way, I think.

helloimadam
May 9, 2013, 11:57 PM
Rather than widgets or other such eye candy, I would prefer this section be developed into a proper file manager that would provide Finder like functionality with a single swipe.

File management on iOS is terribly underdeveloped. I'm hoping this changes with iOS 7.

Carlanga
May 10, 2013, 12:02 AM

why annoying? you can always turn it off in settings and if you got an older iPhone it will make the homescreen smoother.

KieranDotW
May 10, 2013, 08:25 PM

"Suggestive" search brings something different to mind entirely. :p

In reply to the OP, I've been thinking the same thing. I think what is now the spotlight screen would be the perfect place for "widgets" in iOS -- it would directly mirror dashboard on OSX. And it wouldn't be getting rid of spotlight entirely as I see it -- the search bar could be a "fixed" widget that could not be deleted, and users could simply tap on it to bring up the keyboard. Otherwise, the dashboard (if that's what it's called) would be open to play around with whatever widgets the user has.

ASKendrew
May 11, 2013, 09:24 AM
Only time I ever use it is if i'm opening an app on my wife's iPhone.

It saves a ton of time because she has pages (and pages) with apps and folders.

Same here. The girlfriends iPad is so unorganised that its the only time I think of using the search bar.

aDRock1154
May 11, 2013, 12:21 PM
Same here. The girlfriends iPad is so unorganised that its the only time I think of using the search bar.

Ha, good to know I'm not the only one!