PDA

View Full Version : Safari Dominates as Top Mobile Browser with 62% of Internet Traffic

MacRumors
Apr 3, 2013, 12:47 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/03/safari-dominates-as-top-mobile-browser-with-62-of-internet-traffic/)

According to the latest report (http://www.netmarketshare.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=0&qpcustomd=1&qptimeframe=M&qpsp=170) from Net Applications (via All Things D (http://allthingsd.com/20130403/safari-still-winning-the-mobile-browser-war/)), Apple's Safari continues to be the top mobile browser.

Safari for iOS was responsible for 61.79% of total mobile internet traffic during the month of March, an increase from 55.41% in February. Safari's closest competitor for mobile browser dominance was Google's Android browser, which had a 21.86% share of Web traffic in March.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/04/safarimarketshare2013.jpg
Opera Mini came in third with 8.4%, Chrome registered 2.43%, and Microsoft Internet Explorer was the final major contender, with 1.99%.

Net Applications includes traffic from both smartphones and tablets, and the data that it collects comes from more than 160 million visits to 40,000 websites each month.

Article Link: Safari Dominates as Top Mobile Browser with 62% of Internet Traffic (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/03/safari-dominates-as-top-mobile-browser-with-62-of-internet-traffic/)

SamGabbay
Apr 3, 2013, 12:50 PM
It's about time this was recognized.

Jayomat
Apr 3, 2013, 12:50 PM
Well apple prohibits the implementation of other browsers, which makes every other browser a safari skin (basically)

baryon
Apr 3, 2013, 12:55 PM
"Apple is getting boring and people are switching to Android, obviously"
"The lack of innovation is making Android a better option than the iPhone"

I'm not saying anything about the two major competitors, I just want to point out that Safari having such an advantage means that iOS devices are being used a lot more than Android devices, regardless of any sales figures, profits, market share, etc… Which means, quite obviously, that iOS is not doing bad at all compared to everything out there. People still prefer browsing the web (which is the most significant thing you do on a smartphone/tablet) on iOS, for some reason…

samcraig
Apr 3, 2013, 12:58 PM
Ohhhh exciting!

/sarcasm

nepalisherpa
Apr 3, 2013, 12:59 PM
Well apple prohibits the implementation of other browsers, which makes every other browser a safari skin (basically)

Exactly my thought! I only use Atomic Web but to the internet it is Safari.

SockRolid
Apr 3, 2013, 01:01 PM
Ohhhh exciting!

/sarcasm

LOL. Because everyone is fascinated by... browserzzzzz...

zzz...

zzzzzz.....

ZZZZZZZZ . . . . . . . . .

GenesisST
Apr 3, 2013, 01:08 PM

Can 3rd party browsers change the user-agent and if so, is this used for this chart?

Ted13
Apr 3, 2013, 01:09 PM
Queue all the "But, but but, Android users change their user agent to spoof Safari!" comments.

Again and again more proof that "shipment" and "activation" numbers are meaningless -- sales and usage is what actually counts. And curiously the profit share in mobile is quite close to the usage share...

ArtOfWarfare
Apr 3, 2013, 01:17 PM
I'm surprised Android's browser is 10x more popular than Chrome. Every Android device I developed for at work, I installed Chrome on because I preferred it to whatever Android browser the various devices came with.

shurcooL
Apr 3, 2013, 01:18 PM
I use Chrome for iOS, but like others said, I suspect there's a good chance reports itself as Safari?

rmatthewware
Apr 3, 2013, 01:18 PM

That would mean something if we were only talking about Apple phones. This is for all mobile phones: iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry, etc. Being that Apple holds less than 50% of phone market share, the fact they are holding above 60% of web traffic means people with iPhones are getting more out of them.

thehustleman
Apr 3, 2013, 01:25 PM
I don't buy this.

People aren't buying phones just to have them, they buy them to use them.

I seriously question the legitimacy of this

eawmp1
Apr 3, 2013, 01:26 PM
I use Chrome for iOS, but like others said, I suspect there's a good chance reports itself as Safari?

I would suspect you are in a SMALL minority of iDevice users using an alternate browser. The average Joe is going to use the default Safari.

The data is impressive in that iDevice users generate more traffic per device than all other mobile devices COMBINED.

nagromme
Apr 3, 2013, 01:36 PM

Meanwhile, both Chrome and the Android browser are also Webkit-based... even with no prohibition they seem to recognize that Apple's browser engine is the best!

I don't buy this.

Surprising, I agree--but it's an old surprise: data from every source has pointed in this same direction for ages. So why aren't Android users going online as much? I see at least three likely contributing factors--bearing in mind that we tech-savvy forum-goers are not the public at large:

1. People do NOT always buy Android phones to use them. A certain chunk of people take whatever free or cheap phone the carrier salesperson can push on them, with whatever data plan they can be talked into, and really don't know what they're getting or why. They proceed to keep making phone calls and not much else, which was all they ever did before.

2. Some Android phones are just awful. There are hundreds of them that are not well-known poster devices, just junk shoveled out the door with a free OS. My friend was excited to get a free smartphone with browser and email... but discovered that she hates it. She does use it anyway, but surprisingly little. Can't wait for an iPhone next time.

3. Even at its best, the Android experience as a whole is not as good as the iOS experience. Fewer apps, more malware, more mysterious battery drain, less careful UI, more confusion, more outdated software rather than receiving the latest OS version. And human nature means that if something doesn't work quite as well, you naturally won't use it quite as much. By analogy, compare two apps for the same phone--weather apps, say. One works better than the other; users of that app will use it more! Same applies to entire phones/OS's.

Ryth
Apr 3, 2013, 01:39 PM

The point is you're still using an Apple device...not the others which are dominating Apple according to every new source out there.

----------

I would suspect you are in a SMALL minority of iDevice users using an alternate browser. The average Joe is going to use the default Safari.

The data is impressive in that iDevice users generate more traffic per device than all other mobile devices COMBINED.

I don't find it impressive...I think that most of us that use logic and our brains know that Apple is the dominant device by a huge margin out there.

Only the fandroids and Samsung paid media are touting that Apple was doomed and loosing rapid market share.

Karma*Police
Apr 3, 2013, 01:47 PM
I'm surprised Android's browser is 10x more popular than Chrome. Every Android device I developed for at work, I installed Chrome on because I preferred it to whatever Android browser the various devices came with.

Most Android users don't even change their home screens so it's not that surprising, actually.

ArtOfWarfare
Apr 3, 2013, 01:51 PM
Most Android users don't even change their home screens so it's not that surprising, actually.

I thought Android was supposed to be the Linux of mobile, where only the really cheap or the really savvy use it?

inlinevolvo
Apr 3, 2013, 02:10 PM
I prefer chrome as well. Mainly because I like that I can listen to you tube videos. It would be great if apple allowed us to change default apps as well.

gatearray
Apr 3, 2013, 02:33 PM
I don't buy this.

People aren't buying [Android] phones just to have them, they buy them to use them.

of course they buy Android phones to use them, they make and receive phone calls and text messages. they just don't download apps or surf the web generally speaking, but many of us around here already knew that for quite some time.

Rogifan
Apr 3, 2013, 02:59 PM
Can 3rd party browsers change the user-agent and if so, is this used for this chart?

Well Android fanboys usually claim they change their user agent so their statistics show up as desktop, not mobile. I question how many Android users actually do that. But it would be interesting to know how Net Applications determines mobile vs. desktop.

Cuban Missles
Apr 3, 2013, 03:37 PM
So I may not understand things here and hope to be informed. But dont most people actually use apps? How does that get tracked? Would that show up as using a browser? I ask all this because I use safari on my iphone, but as I think about it, I probably use the apps more. I bank via the app, not the browser. I check the weather via the app not the browser. Etc. So although this still is a telling chart about usage, I am just not sure if it really says the whole story about how people use their phones.

roadbloc
Apr 3, 2013, 03:41 PM
I thought Android was supposed to be the Linux of mobile, where only the really cheap or the really savvy use it?

You're living in the past. Android based handsets have come on leaps and bounds. Obviously they still offer budget models for them with little money spare.

BlueHusky
Apr 3, 2013, 03:52 PM
I wish chrome on iPhone was just as fast as safari. This is an unfair result created by not allowing other apps to use the fastest engine.

DigiSociety
Apr 3, 2013, 04:23 PM

I took a quick look in Google Analytics and it does make a distinction between Mobile Safari and Chrome on iOS devices.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2132743/Photos/ios-chrome.png

swagi
Apr 3, 2013, 05:59 PM
I don't buy this.

It's just some strange made up statistic. Check their methodology:
Additional estimates about the website population:
76% participate in pay per click programs to drive traffic to their sites.
43% are commerce sites
18% are corporate sites
10% are content sites
29% classify themselves as other (includes gov, org, search engine marketers etc..)
Source is in the article.

Now factor in that most people use the web via dedicated Apps (Facebook, Twitter, Flipboard to name a few). Factor in merely 10% content sites.

Voilà - numbers completely pulled out of a place where the sun doesn't shine - absolutely inaccurate methodology.

tekno
Apr 3, 2013, 06:00 PM
Yet all these millions aren't then loading it into their desktop machines.

a0me
Apr 3, 2013, 07:00 PM
Only the fandroids and Samsung paid media are touting that Apple was doomed and loosing rapid market share.

I don't know about the "doomed" part but Apple is clearly loosing market share. However, what "fandroids" fail to understand is that 1) iPhone never had a market share lead and 2) market share isn't the be all end all; the smaller iOS user base continues spending magnitude more on app and content than the larger Android user base, which is the reason why app developers and content owners prioritize iOS first and Android second.

Renzatic
Apr 3, 2013, 07:09 PM

iCab Mobile lets you set the browser so other websites identify it as IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, or desktop Safari. I doubt this would make a huge difference in the pie chart above, though.

thehustleman
Apr 3, 2013, 07:31 PM
Meanwhile, both Chrome and the Android browser are also Webkit-based... even with no prohibition they seem to recognize that Apple's browser engine is the best!

Surprising, I agree--but it's an old surprise: data from every source has pointed in this same direction for ages. So why aren't Android users going online as much? I see at least three likely contributing factors--bearing in mind that we tech-savvy forum-goers are not the public at large:

1. People do NOT always buy Android phones to use them. A certain chunk of people take whatever free or cheap phone the carrier salesperson can push on them, with whatever data plan they can be talked into, and really don't know what they're getting or why. They proceed to keep making phone calls and not much else, which was all they ever did before.

2. Some Android phones are just awful. There are hundreds of them that are not well-known poster devices, just junk shoveled out the door with a free OS. My friend was excited to get a free smartphone with browser and email... but discovered that she hates it. She does use it anyway, but surprisingly little. Can't wait for an iPhone next time.

3. Even at its best, the Android experience as a whole is not as good as the iOS experience. Fewer apps, more malware, more mysterious battery drain, less careful UI, more confusion, more outdated software rather than receiving the latest OS version. And human nature means that if something doesn't work quite as well, you naturally won't use it quite as much. By analogy, compare two apps for the same phone--weather apps, say. One works better than the other; users of that app will use it more! Same applies to entire phones/OS's.

I have to call you on a few things

1. If that's all they are going to do they wouldn't buy a smartphone and stick with feature phones. I hope no one is dumb enough to do that.

2. It's a huge pet peeve of mine when someone picks up a free phone then complains about it being bad or using that to say "android isn't as good as ios" when in truth it is, but you picked a turd. It's free for a reason.

3. I have to disagree with you on that, I left iphone because the user experience is lacking. Can't install an app they don't approve, can't install from anywhere but the app store, turning on mobile hotspot is so needlessly complicated unless you totally know what you're doing and where to go (that's the main feature people ask about at work, no one knows how to do it), Android is just as simple (if not simpler) as ios but you get more choices. The ios keyboard SUCKS! There are Web sites all about autocorrect screwups and closing all your open apps takes forever. Then they went from cutting edge to a butter knife. Apple doesn't keep up with technology which is why android surpassed them. It's Microsoft PC's vs apple PC's all over again on the mobile market.

Jobs always talked about user experience but he totally ruined it with restrictions, don't believe me?

Why is jailbreaking so popular?

People are trying to improve the user experience

Jayomat
Apr 4, 2013, 04:57 AM

[...].

I rather say that most people don't care and feel that safari is "good enough" for their needs, so they don't bother to use something else. I don't think this has anything to do which "which browser is better". Still, the majority of iPhone users really don't care all too much about their browser (mobile that is)

Macist
Apr 4, 2013, 05:28 AM
No wonder Microso... sorry, Google... want to kill WebKit

skratch77
Apr 4, 2013, 07:20 AM
Guys most android phones show up as apple devices because they are using WebKit browsers.

I post stuff on fb with my zoom tablet and it says sent from iOS device under it.

How does this graph make any sense when android has like 70% world market share and not have 70% web searches?

SprSynJn
Apr 4, 2013, 07:44 AM

Quoted because someone asked and because it is what I've thought all along.

Also, many people, including myself, have at one point bought an Android because iPhone was either not available or too pricey. I'm sure this has also contributed to the statistics shown.

Squilly
Apr 4, 2013, 08:16 AM
I'm actually really surprised that Chrome didn't place higher.

SlCKB0Y
Apr 4, 2013, 08:30 AM
A lot of android users use desktop user agent strings ... Especially on tablets. The reason being that most websites will distinguish between iPhone and iPad and serve iPads with a desktop like experience which makes use of the extra screen space.

Most of these websites when viewed on an android tablet will get the mobile phone version so the user agent string is changed to get the desktop version.

I personally do this on my phones as well.

iMacFarlane
Apr 4, 2013, 09:13 AM
"Apple is getting boring and people are switching to Android, obviously"

I hear this often and just don't understand the thought process that goes into it. Are millions of people switching to chopsticks because forks are boring? Cars have gotten boring, why didn't the Segue take over transportation? Planes are boring, where are the super zeppelins or borehole trains?

Apple's iPhone works. It does what it is expected, and quite a bit more. If you are bored with your phone, you're using it way, way too much.

BaldiMac
Apr 4, 2013, 09:20 AM
I don't know about the "doomed" part but Apple is clearly loosing market share.

"Clearly." Well, except for the fact that they continue to gain market share year over year. :D

a0me
Apr 4, 2013, 10:39 AM
"Clearly." Well, except for the fact that they continue to gain market share year over year. :D
"Well," except that 20.9% of market share in 2012 is less than 23.6% the year before. So yeah, "clearly." :rolleyes:

http://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/screen-shot-2013-02-13-at-08-07-21.png

BaldiMac
Apr 4, 2013, 10:56 AM
"Well," except that 20.9% of market share in 2012 is less than 23.6% the year before. So yeah, "clearly." :rolleyes:

Image (http://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/screen-shot-2013-02-13-at-08-07-21.png)

Fair enough. But that's for one quarter. iPhone market share increased from 18.8% in calendar year 2011 to 25.1% in calendar year 2012.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/01/25/apples-iphone-grew-to-251-global-market-share-in-2012

I think that it's pretty obvious that 4Q11 was an outlier. Perfect storm of new release within the quarter, 16 month gap from previous release, and expansion into new markets.

a0me
Apr 4, 2013, 11:17 AM
Fair enough. But that's for one quarter. iPhone market share increased from 18.8% in calendar year 2011 to 25.1% in calendar year 2012.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/01/25/apples-iphone-grew-to-251-global-market-share-in-2012

I think that it's pretty obvious that 4Q11 was an outlier. Perfect storm of new release within the quarter, 16 month gap from previous release, and expansion into new markets.
What about this then?

http://www.asymco.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Screen-Shot-2012-11-14-at-11-14-3.15.16-PM.png

It isn't rocket science to figure out that cheaper phones are stealing market share from more expensive phones; Honda also sells more cars than BMWs. Which goes to show that market share isn't all that matters.

BaldiMac
Apr 4, 2013, 11:23 AM
What about this then?

Image (http://www.asymco.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Screen-Shot-2012-11-14-at-11-14-3.15.16-PM.png)

It isn't rocket science to figure out that cheaper phones are stealing market share from more expensive phones; Honda also sells more cars than BMWs. Which goes to show that market share isn't all that matters.

I'm not sure what you were trying to show with that chart. It shows Apple consistently gaining market share.

FirstNTenderbit
Apr 4, 2013, 03:44 PM
Someone please help me. I've read the post a couple of time and they only thing I can gather from the information is people with iOS devices spend more time surfing the web with their iOS devices than people with some other devise.

Am I supposed to get some deeper meaning from the chart? I feel a little inadequate because some commenters seem to be pulling major relevance from a pie chart that says there are some people who are really, really engaged with their phones.;)

a0me
Apr 4, 2013, 07:45 PM
I'm not sure what you were trying to show with that chart. It shows Apple consistently gaining market share.
... between 2007 (release of the first iPhone) and 2011. Like I said, it's basic math: once a market starts maturing, cheaper goods grab more market share than more expensive ones.

BaldiMac
Apr 4, 2013, 09:58 PM
... between 2007 (release of the first iPhone) and 2011.

And 2012. Like I said, I'm not sure what you think the chart showed.

Like I said, it's basic math: once a market starts maturing, cheaper goods grab more market share than more expensive ones.:mad:

:confused: Basic math? Not really. Maybe a market theory. Not sure what that has to do with what I said.

SprSynJn
Apr 4, 2013, 10:02 PM
iPhone marketshare continues to increase according to latest comScore reports

http://www.tuaw.com/2013/04/04/iphone-marketshare-continues-to-increase-according-to-latest-com/

shurcooL
Apr 6, 2013, 03:27 AM
There's a lot of people jailbreaking their iPhones, so using Chrome on iOS doesn't seem that far fetched.

Have you tried Chrome for iOS? It's essentially safari (the rendering engine) just with a better UI.

ChazUK
Apr 6, 2013, 03:38 AM
I took a quick look in Google Analytics and it does make a distinction between Mobile Safari and Chrome on iOS devices.

Image (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2132743/Photos/ios-chrome.png)

Now I see it!

http://chazclout.com/CV/Upload/images/untitlqkq.png

It's those millions upon millions of BlackBerry users skewing the results!

/s :D

wellred
Apr 6, 2013, 08:14 AM
They should do 1 just for phones and tablets seperate so we can see what's what.

Michael Scrip
Apr 6, 2013, 11:05 PM

Exactly.

Plus... "Android" includes ALL Android phones... even those super-inexpensive bargain phones sold in other countries. Maybe even phones from companies you've never heard of. There are hundreds of models on sale.

They're not all flagship phones like the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note... there are some Android phones that cost $150 unlocked around the globe. Those can't be a joy to use.

And the people who buy those are buying them to just have a phone... not because they're looking for a pleasant smartphone experience.

So it's not a shock that Android has the most market penetration... but it generates 1/3 less web traffic.

flameproof
Apr 7, 2013, 01:48 AM

Yep. Can't be correct. Simply because of....

• less then 50% use iOS
• Android and others are less likely to use Safari
• Not all iOS users use Safari (I use Chrome)

But 62% of iOS users use Safari could be correct.

tekboi
Apr 7, 2013, 10:58 AM
considering the fact that it comes on overy single Mac device, this is understandable. Furthermore, even though I like the features of Firefox & Chrome...

Safari is much snappier.

minimo3
Apr 8, 2013, 11:22 AM
Yep. Can't be correct. Simply because of....

• less then 50% use iOS
• Android and others are less likely to use Safari
• Not all iOS users use Safari (I use Chrome)

But 62% of iOS users use Safari could be correct.

Nothing surprising about this data. If you live in the US it may just seem impossible. However, the majority of Android devices are sold in Asia. Many of them are purchased without a data plan. Most telcos there will sell one to you for about $100 (or give it for free depending on your plan) if you re-up your contract. Plans typically do not require data. People buy them because slab touchscreen phones with big screens are "cool." Non one wants to be seen with an old fashioned keypad device. However, these Android devices are used simply to make calls and for SMS. Hence although many devices are sold, the browser usage traffic registered is low.