Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srkmish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
Hi,

I had made up my mind to buy mini as Nexus 7 hadnt arrived in india. It is now available at india playstore (32gb version with cellular) for almost the same price as ipadmini 16 gb wifi. Im getting extra storage and cellular version. So im again confused now. Anyone who has experienced both, can you compare for me the following points

1) Battery life and standby time
2) Durability after usage of say 3-6 months( Any bugs, problems?)
3) Screen ( I know that nexus has a better screen. However, in real world , is the nexus screen that much better than mini? 216 ppi vs 163 ppi)

Most importantly ,i am looking for durability and longevity - That will last me atleast 2-3 years. I have heard good reviews about ipad going on and on even after heavy usage.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
3) Screen ( I know that nexus has a better screen. However, in real world , is the nexus screen that much better than mini? 216 ppi vs 163 ppi).

I find the Mini's screen shape to be superior because it isn't as wide screen. The squarer shape displays noticibly more of a web page, not to mention PDFs and magazine pages appear larger when viewed in portrait. While the Mini might have black bars above and below videos, the actual size of the video playing is very close.

The N7 does have a higher res screen, but the Mini's is a bit better quality. Not iPad4 better quality, just better quality.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
I've had both.

Battery life is great on the Nexus 7 (about 9 hours of usage), which is not bad compared to my larger, heavier 10" ipad (10 hours), but the Mini is even better. You can get like 12-13 hours of usage! T

In my opinion, the iPad mini is the best "feeling" Apple product, but it is also prone to to scratching and denting, depending on the way you use it. I don't scratch my stuff, but you have to be careful. The Nexus 7 has a nice back, probably a lot more durable than the iPad mini, but not as premium feeling.

The Nexus 7 pixel density is much, much better than the iPad mini. However, the iPad mini has slightly better (more accurate) colours. That's not something everyone will notice or care about though, because I'm a bit of a display geek. The iPad screen feels a lot larger than the N7, and I prefer the 4:3 format to the N7's widescreen 16:10.

Overall, I consider the Nexus 7 to be a superior value. In Canada the 32gb Nexus 7 is $249, the 16gb Mini is $329 if I remember correctly. I also think the Nexus 7 is a little more usable if you need to replace a computer; you can download files etc. It is the only Android tablet i really like. However, if you're looking at cellular-capable models, the iPad has LTE whereas the Nexus is HSPA. I don't know if you have LTE in India, but that might be something to consider.

One more thing... The new Nexus 7 is supposed to come out in June or thereabouts. Rumours suggest it may have a 1920x1200 screen, much faster CPU and GPU etc.

Hi,

3) Screen ( I know that nexus has a better screen. However, in real world , is the nexus screen that much better than mini? 216 ppi vs 163 ppi)

Most importantly ,i am looking for durability and longevity - That will last me atleast 2-3 years. I have heard good reviews about ipad going on and on even after heavy usage.

Last edited:

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
On paper, the Nexus is better in every way (except for HSPA+ vs. LTE, and cameras). The display color issues are a software issue, and can be corrected with a display calibrator app.

That said, I'm not sure how much you like Android. It's certainly as smooth as an iPhone - I'm very particular about the UX, and I switched from a 4S to a Galaxy Nexus. The newer devices are absolute monsters at the UX.

I would keep an open mind - I did, and I found that I liked Android better than iOS. It comes down to the OS - while the Nexus 7 has more RAM, a much faster CPU, a better display, and a widescreen aspect ratio, most users' final decisions will be made by how much they like Android OS. Personally, I find it far more powerful than iOS in everything I do. But versatility may not be at the top of everyone's priorities, so it's up to you in the end.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I prefer iPad Mini over the Nexus 7. Yes, I miss the PPI of the N7, but my N7 lagged like hell compared to the iPad. I tried the N7 stock + unrooted, I tried a multitude of ROM and kernel combinations and I could never get it to run smoothly (partly due to Jelly Bean I suppose). Don't get me wrong, this isn't an anti-Android post (I had owned over a dozen android devices including the N4 over the past few years).

I have the iPad Mini now and don't miss my N7 one bit. Don't get me wrong, the N7 is a great tablet (especially at that price) and I'm sure it is a better value than the iPad Mini, but for me, I actually wanted my tablet to function without me wanting to throw it out a window.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
We have a Nexus 7 at work and I was able to do side by side comparisons between my mini and the N7. As others have said, the screen is the real let down with the N7. Widescreen is great for movies, but sucks for websites and books so I prefer the 4:3 screen of the iPad. Also, the N7 isn't as good off angle and has an odd tint. I can't see the difference in pixel density since they're both pretty small and I have to hold the iPad mini close to my face to see the pixels as it is but the overall picture quality on the mini is better IMHO. Lastly, the app store is much better for the mini of course. I do like the rubber back on the N7 but also like the more polished quality feel of the mini.

If I was in the market for an Android device, I would certainly look at the Nexus devices rather than Samsung's shabby attempts (Father-in-law has a Galaxy Tab 2 and has decided to sell it and get an iPad) but in the end, I like the Apple ecosystem better even though I have used Android phones a fair bit. In fact, it was a company issued Android phone that convinced me to get my iPhone.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Go with iPad mini if you value:
- customer support if anything goes wrong
- a platform where you can easily find tablet optimized apps
- better selection of tablet apps
- more optimized apps due to lack of iOS fragmentation
- rear camera

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I've had both and they are both great pieces of kit.

No issues with my Nexus 7 and I've totally become addicted to my iPad mini.

One thing I would say is the Nexus 7 is nearly 12 months old and most likely due a refresh at Google I/O in May. This is one of the first reasons I'd suggest the iPad over the Nexus right now.

The Mini is in an earlier life cycle compared to the nexus so that coupled with all the info above, get the Mini.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
For the screen, the Nexus is just awful, and I'm not talking about the shape. Even at its higher resolution, it's blurry and washed out. The Kindle Fire is better, IMO. Based on that, my preference would be for the mini.

Hi,

I had made up my mind to buy mini as Nexus 7 hadnt arrived in india. It is now available at india playstore (32gb version with cellular) for almost the same price as ipadmini 16 gb wifi. Im getting extra storage and cellular version. So im again confused now. Anyone who has experienced both, can you compare for me the following points

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
I had both. Definitely get the Mini.

2 pluses with the N7 were the higher PPI and I found it to be even more portable and easier to hold in one hand. (due to its screen ratio)

That being said, the mini is superior in every other way.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
If you value better screen, better screen ratio, butter smooth os, amazing design, tablet apps, then go for the mini.

If you want clocks and a filesystem go for the Nexus.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Hi,

I'm currently using both, the Nexus 7 since it was released first, then later as it was finally released, I also bought an iPad Mini.

1) Battery life: Nexus wins by about 60 to 90 minutes
2) Durability: Equals
3) Screen: Nexus Wins Big!

There's simply no contest. The Nexus screen is really gorgeous. The only reason I bought the mini is I'm a serious Apple enthusiast and buy lots of their products for a first hand experience.

If I was to buy just one, it would be the Nexus 7 without a second thought.

There's so much more you can do with it, and I'm not talking about rooting it. I am talking about just setting it up to your liking with the huge number of settings and preferences you can adjust.

It's also far more comfortable to hold, as it has very nicely rounded sides, a grippy high quality rubber type back panel, and it's 15mm narrower.

The viewing experience is just stunning.

jhr3uva90

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011
I own both a Nexus 7 and an iPad mini. After owning both for a few months, I use my iPad mini during my train commute to/from work, at the gym on the elliptical machine, and often as a second iPhone (minus the calling). Meanwhile, my Nexus 7 lives in my bathroom. Why?

Because I think my iPad mini is more practical. There are apps on the iPad mini such as Omni Focus that I can't get on an Android device. Also, there are more apps for the iPad mini that are TRUE tablet apps, while the Nexus 7 has a lot of upsized phone apps.

Yes, the Nexus 7 has superior pixel density to the iPad mini. That is obvious every time I use it. But like many folks have said, iPad mini "does color" better, which is also important. The Nexus 7 is a great device, especially for the money, but I prefer to use my iPad more often. I guess it is up to you. If you like customizing your user experience, the Nexus 7 is a better product. If you want to just get stuff done, and you prefer a smaller, thinner, and lighter device then go with the iPad mini.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Thanks to the OP for making this thread. I own a nexus 7 currently and am trying to decide if I want to get an iPad mini or regular iPad in addition to or possibly to replace my nexus 7.

I have a galaxy nexus so very invested in android and I like android. But as a tech enthusiast I can't help but wonder what the other side is like. 3 things in particular are making me consider the mini:

1) apps, especially games. It isn't bad on android but I have a Mac and I definitely own software that has an iPad app associated with it but no android counterpart. I kind of want some access to the iOS ecosystem which is I suspect better than android.

2) 4:3 aspect ratio. Most of my tablet use is spent on the web or reading and just in general I think that 4:3 is better for everything except movies. Using the Nexus 7 in landscape mode is a joke although I really like using it in portrait.

3) smooth browser experience. I find it very sad that Google's new Google news layout for tablets works SO MUCH BETTER on the iPad than on their own Nexus 7. Chrome still feel like a beta in both performance and features. I also have the old aosp browser installed which is much smoother but it is also clear that Google has stopped development for it. It doesn't always render sites correctly and I'm not sure how much longer it will work...The browser experience on safari (while limited) just seems so much smoother and for me the browser is very important.

But just in case you think I don't like the Nexus 7, I am actually typing this post from it and I really like this tablet despite the niggles. I also feel that there are things from android I will miss dearly if I switch to the iPad. I won't list them all but rather give two examples.

Despite the wider larger screens (of bother the iPad mini and full sized iPad) I can read things like these forums so much easier on my nexus 7 because I can boost font sizes. I've read of some hacks and alternative browsers that allow font size changes. These will be essential for me. I can't stand the experience of having to turn my tablet to landscape mode every now and then just to read something (and no the reader function is not enough)

Apps in android are allowed to actually enhance the basic function of the device. For example, I like reading on my Nexus 7 in bed at night but the default lowest brightness setting isn't dim enough to read without eye-strain. I suspect (if I'm wrong please correct me) that on iOS I would be out of luck. On android, without any need for root, I can apply a software filter over everything (it is literally like having a physical filter on your screen) that makes the nexus 7 dim enough to read in the dark.

Anyway I want to see what apple comes out with in iOS 7 and the next iPad mini 2 & iPad 5 before I make any decision. First world problems I know :eek:

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Always had full sized iPads since they where first available. Currently have the iPad 4 cellular version.

Tried the Nexus 7, returned it after a few weeks heavy use.

Bought the mini too, it's cute but reading web pages means lots of horizontal scrolling and small print. Not as good for reading PDFs etc, some apps seem cramped, Calendar for example. Didn't return it but it sits on the coffee table for anyone around the house to play with.

I prefer and love using my iPad 4, it's my most used device right now. I carry and use it heavily everywhere. I have a yoobao cover and carry it around in that or in my small backpack or briefcase depending on what I'm doing. Even on weekends I'll toss it in my casual backpack and bring it along, so handy for maps, finding restaurants, use the mls app a lot as we're often looking at homes for sale.

Can't beat the 10" screen, it's a pleasure to use, better for my productivity and I can bring it anywhere I'd take the mini.

For quick look ups and a smaller pocketable device my iPhone compliments my set up perfectly.

I always suggest buy the 10" unless there's a particular reason you need / want a small screen tablet.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Hi,

1) The battery on the Nexus 7 will last a few days but the Mini will last a day or two more. Not a massive deal but the iPad does have a slight edge with battery life.

2) I've had mine for a few months now and noticed no major issues. The silver bezel has scratched a little but bear in mind I don't have any case for it at all.

3) The screen is nice but I feel it's washed out when compared to other devices. It's still a very nice screen on its own though, perfect size too.

Overall I would recommend the Nexus 7 to you, it's a brilliant device and far better value than the iPad, but that's just my opinion.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
1)

Overall I would recommend the Nexus 7 to you, it's a brilliant device and far better value than the iPad, but that's just my opinion.

It is a great display on the 7. I have compared the same image on a iPhone 4S and the Nexus 7 and I think the 7 had slightly better colors. Not sure how the 7 would compare with a retina iPad but I'm sure it would be very close.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Both have great battery life but I prefer the screen on the Mini more. I just can't stand having widescreen on a tablet.

Holding a Nexus 7 is much more pleasant through in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.