Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PNGento

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
For example, in Parallels running Win7, how do you start task manager (ctrl, alt, del)? Is there a way to program a key to function like the alt key? And if so, does the Apple control have the same functionality as the Windows ctrl key?

Other than that, I love how well Parallels handles Windows, but for a couple of combination key strokes that don't translate well to an Apple system.

TIA,

Rob

PNGento

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
The Option is the alt key. Ctrl+Option/Alt+Del

Hmm...on a PC, if I want task manager (to shut down an unresponsive program), the ctrl/alt/del is the keystroke sequence...but when I try ctl/option/del...nothing happens...no task mgr. Not sure how else to shut down an unresponsive program, but what you suggested isn't working for me anyway.

Phayz

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2010
Hmm...on a PC, if I want task manager (to shut down an unresponsive program), the ctrl/alt/del is the keystroke sequence...but when I try ctl/option/del...nothing happens...no task mgr. Not sure how else to shut down an unresponsive program, but what you suggested isn't working for me anyway.

CTRL+SHIFT+ESC should bring up the task manager (does so in Boot Camp).

Otherwise, parallels may have an option to set a key-binding to bring up task manager.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey

Otherwise, parallels may have an option to set a key-binding to bring up task manager.

You might be right but I just remembered that under one of the Parallels menus is a "Send Carl+alt+del to VM" option. Pretty sure it's under Virtual Machine. Sorry I'm on my iPad right now so can't check for sure.

EDIT: My apologies. I just checked on my rMBP Parallels 8.0 and the menu option that I mention above is not there. I'll have to check my other machines because it was either an earlier version of Parallels or VMWare that I was thinking of. I'll update once I get the right answer.

Last edited:

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
as a note, remember that <- is backspace, not delete. delete is fn-<-, so it's fn-ctrl-alt-backspace to do ctrl alt del in windows.

PNGento

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011

Works beautifully. Thanks.

----------

as a note, remember that <- is backspace, not delete. delete is fn-<-, so it's fn-ctrl-alt-backspace to do ctrl alt del in windows.

Ah so, glasshoppa. and DUH. Damn PCs have to treat backspace different, so I should have thought of adding the fn to the delete. So, this also works beautifully. So, now, not only do I have one solution, I have two.

Thanks to everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.