PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft to End Support for Office 2008 for Mac on April 9

MacRumors
Apr 4, 2013, 02:07 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/04/microsoft-to-end-support-for-office-2008-for-mac-on-april-9/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/04/officeformac.jpgMicrosoft today announced (http://blog.officeformac.com/ending-support-for-office-for-mac-2008/) that it will end support for Office 2008 for Mac next Tuesday, on April 9.Support for Office for Mac 2008 will end April 9th, 2013. View the Microsoft Support Lifecycle Policy (http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-us&x=12amp;y=13#tab1) for further details, such as the support dates (http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=12853) for this product.Microsoft recommends that affected users purchase an Office 365 subscription (http://www.microsoft.com/mac/buy), which includes Office for Mac 2011 and future updates to the product. Office 365 costs $100 per year or $10 per month. Office 2011 can be purchased (http://www.microsoft.com/mac/buy) for $140 to $220.

Office for Mac 2008 updates will be available for download until April 19, 2014, but no new updates will be provided after April 9, 2013. The software will remain functional even though it will no longer be supported.

Article Link: Microsoft to End Support for Office 2008 for Mac on April 9 (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/04/microsoft-to-end-support-for-office-2008-for-mac-on-april-9/)

irDigital0l
Apr 4, 2013, 02:10 PM
Apple needs to look at Google Docs and add some of those features into iWork.

Unggoy Murderer
Apr 4, 2013, 02:12 PM
They're still supporting Windows XP, and they won't support Office 2008? That's a shame on people who can't/won't update to the recent version.

Plutonius
Apr 4, 2013, 02:15 PM
I wonder if they will discount it. In any case, I'm doubtful many people will spend money on a subscription. Maybe, they should turn it into a freemium app where you could purchase coins to buy different actions. How much should it be worth to enable the help paper clip :D ?

Yamcha
Apr 4, 2013, 02:17 PM
I have nothing against Microsoft Office. I've used the Windows versions in school and they were extremely easy to use.

But Office 2008 for Mac is complete garbage, and using it is a nightmare in my opinion. For the Mac side Pages & Numbers is a much better alternative or better yet Google Docs.

applesith
Apr 4, 2013, 02:17 PM
Never needed support for it anyway...

york2600
Apr 4, 2013, 02:18 PM
Never needed support for it anyway...

Read support to mean security fixes

pnoyblazed
Apr 4, 2013, 02:22 PM
you can get MS Office for Mac 2011 for $9.99 via their Home Use Program.. just need a valid work email

Cuban Missles
Apr 4, 2013, 02:33 PM
My wife has office for her Mac, but somehow I just cant do it. I have the apple office suit and for my home use it works perfectly. No MS or Google anything on my apples, thank you.

kazmac
Apr 4, 2013, 02:33 PM
and/or install that HOP version of MS Office 2011.

Subscription service, forget it.

im that guy
Apr 4, 2013, 02:40 PM
Okay... According to previous releases they are coming out with a new version every 3-4 years and it costs $140-200. That's at max 200/3 = $66.67 a year. Compared to Office 365 for $100 a year... How is this worth it?

Jimmy James
Apr 4, 2013, 02:49 PM
Time to stop upgrading and stick with the old version.

ScoobyMcDoo
Apr 4, 2013, 02:51 PM
My wife has office for her Mac, but somehow I just cant do it. I have the apple office suit and for my home use it works perfectly. No MS or Google anything on my apples, thank you.

Why is that? Did they sleep with your wife, or run over your dog? Hell I am using a mac (instead of linux) BECAUSE it can run MS Office.

Chuck-Norris
Apr 4, 2013, 02:53 PM
whens the new one suppose to replace 2011?

i want microsoft onenote for mac!

inlinevolvo
Apr 4, 2013, 02:55 PM
They're still supporting Windows XP, and they won't support Office 2008? That's a shame on people who can't/won't update to the recent version.

Well this isn't exactly a fair comparison. XP is an operating system which about 50% of business still use today. Office for Mac is in comparison a niche piece of software. Keep in mind Microsoft tried to pull support of XP until the industry had an uproar...

azentropy
Apr 4, 2013, 03:03 PM
I think I've bought my last MS Office. OpenOffice and LibreOffice are good enough replacements for what I do now.

wingsabre
Apr 4, 2013, 03:04 PM
whens the new one suppose to replace 2011?

i want microsoft onenote for mac!

Going by their traditional schedule, it should be some time in Q4 of 2013 or early 2014. Since they're working on Windows Blue, they may have a new version out with it, or after their major release.

Razeus
Apr 4, 2013, 03:15 PM
Apple needs to look at Google Docs and add some of those features into iWork.

LOL, iWork is abandon ware along with pretty much all of Apple's desktop software.

sailmac
Apr 4, 2013, 03:22 PM
iWorks and LibreOffice have been meeting my needs starting from when Lion/ML dropped Rosetta support and my Office 2004 software stopped it's journey.

mabhatter
Apr 4, 2013, 03:31 PM
Why is that? Did they sleep with your wife, or run over your dog? Hell I am using a mac (instead of linux) BECAUSE it can run MS Office.

They did BOTH in MY pickup truck and haven't brought it back.

Any free Six-String guitar apps to keep me company???

macnerd93
Apr 4, 2013, 03:34 PM
I use office 2008 on my Dual G5 and it works well, but Office 2011 is much faster on my iMac. I have to use MS office simply to avoid compatibility and format issues when submitting assignment work for university. This is something pages has messed up in the past.

mic j
Apr 4, 2013, 03:48 PM
I only need one thing...the database capability of Excel. Guess I'll just keep milking Office 08 until it just won't run anymore.

locoboi187
Apr 4, 2013, 03:51 PM

Windows XP isn't supported anymore. Doesn't get new updates,

Cuban Missles
Apr 4, 2013, 03:59 PM

No they slept with my dog and ran over my wife on the way to your place to sleep with your wife. Seriously is there a need for this stupidity.

As for your slightly more legitimate statement. I know of people that have a mac running MS office, chrome browser, dropbox, and a bunch of other stuff. That was the WinTel model not the Walled-off-Garden that is Apple. What is the point of getting an Apple if you are going to then not use the whole value proposition. At least for me it makes no sense. If I was going to do the mix and match and then fight with the integration model, I would get a cheap ass WinTel thing.

Nermal
Apr 4, 2013, 04:00 PM

XP is still supported (http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223), until April 2014. It still receives security updates, but since it's now in "extended support" you need a paid support contract for non-security updates and support "incident" calls.

Xenomorph
Apr 4, 2013, 04:04 PM
2011 doesn't even work right (doesn't save window positions, Fonts in Outlook are still messed up, auto-correct randomly capitalizes a letter after an apostrophe, etc).

They don't really seem to support any version of Office for Mac.

Lancer
Apr 4, 2013, 04:12 PM
Good thing I bought one of the last multi-user packs of Office 2011 before they stopped selling them. Guess I'm set with Office for the next 4-5 years.

ETA - looks like the old PC I'm running will need replacing before next April then since it's only running XP.

ArtOfWarfare
Apr 4, 2013, 04:13 PM
LOL, iWork is abandon ware along with pretty much all of Apple's desktop software.

Apple was hiring a team of people to work on the next version of iWork for Mac. My guess is they're targeting a release for the next US school year and we can expect them to announce it this summer (possibly at WWDC?)

They either need to step up their game with support for drawing diagrams and equations or they need to open up the applications a bit and allow plugins to be written for it by developers. (They let developers write plugins for Safari, so I don't see why they wouldn't allow them for iWork, too... plus they already allow a few select developers to write plugins for iWork, just not ordinary indie developers like me.)

Slartibartfass
Apr 4, 2013, 04:17 PM
Who cares about MSOffice (Yawn...)

iWork is a fine office suite and OpenOffice is great too.

One reason less to use a MS product.....

mic j
Apr 4, 2013, 04:21 PM

I do. Numbers does not have database functionality. :(

Weegee1
Apr 4, 2013, 04:41 PM
What could they possibly update in it?

----------

Excel > Numbers, big time.
Other than that, I use iWork. It's much nicer except when you need features that Numbers lacks.

pezj
Apr 4, 2013, 04:52 PM
Excel is almost unusable

Mr. Retrofire
Apr 4, 2013, 04:59 PM
I installed new updates this week on Windows XP SP3. IIRC 3 updates: IE 7 security update (IE 8 causes problems), Win XP security update, and MS Malware Detection updates.

Liquorpuki
Apr 4, 2013, 05:20 PM
Okay... According to previous releases they are coming out with a new version every 3-4 years and it costs $140-200. That's at max 200/3 = $66.67 a year. Compared to Office 365 for $100 a year... How is this worth it?

Depends on what you have and what you need. I bought 2013 for my Surface Pro and went back and exchanged it for 365. You get more software in 365 + extra Skydrive space and can stick it on multiple computers.

I needed Access and OneNote and have 3 computers at home so 365 was a better deal once I understood what it came with.

C DM
Apr 4, 2013, 05:20 PM
Windows XP isn't supported anymore. Doesn't get new updates,Someone should probably let Microsoft know about that, since they seem to think that Windows XP is still supported (at least for another year): http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/end-support-help. ;)

Kebabselector
Apr 4, 2013, 05:41 PM
you can get MS Office for Mac 2011 for $9.99 via their Home Use Program.. just need a valid work email

Doesn't your employer need to have an Enterprise Agreement in place to implement this?

SoldOnApple
Apr 4, 2013, 06:00 PM
I hope they give 365 subscribers the choice between 2011 and the new one. I quite like 2011, it reminds me of iWork.

blacktape242
Apr 4, 2013, 06:05 PM
is office 2004 still supported?

wingsabre
Apr 4, 2013, 06:10 PM
I hope they give 365 subscribers the choice between 2011 and the new one. I quite like 2011, it reminds me of iWork.

365 gets automatic updates, I suppose you could turn it off if you'd like. However based on current trends, each subsequent versions should be more optimized for battery life.

Scepticalscribe
Apr 4, 2013, 06:15 PM
Why is that? .........Hell I am using a mac (instead of linux) BECAUSE it can run MS Office.

I use office 2008 on my Dual G5 works well, but 2011 is much faster on my iMac. i Have to use office simply to avoid compatibility and format issues when submitting assignment work for university. Pages has messed up in the passed

As for your slightly more legitimate statement. I know of people that have a mac running MS office, chrome browser, dropbox, and a bunch of other stuff. That was the WinTel model not the Walled-off-Garden that is Apple. What is the point of getting an Apple if you are going to then not use the whole value proposition. At least for me it makes no sense. If I was going to do the mix and match and then fight with the integration model, I would get a cheap ass WinTel thing.

Here, with respect, I think the point is not that a great many people who post on this forum have Macs, prefer them, and really like the Mac OS, and its set of closed internally logical and nicely designed systems. On a forum such as this, that seems to be to be pretty much a given.

We know that Mac is good, but, and it is a big but, most of the world uses Windows, and our computers need to be able to talk to their computers without stuttering,

Thus, the point is that most of the rest of the world still uses Windows machines, and, in order to communicate competently and easily with that work world, some of us use - and have to use - Office for Mac. I do, and actually, professionally, it is a deal breaker for me, as every organisation and university I have ever worked for use hardly anything other than Windows. hence, Office for Mac will always be on my computer, irrespective of what else lives there.

CReimer
Apr 4, 2013, 06:18 PM
is office 2004 still supported?

I see a security update in a blue moon. Office 2004 still works fine on my black MacBook (2006) and Snow Leopard. Now that Office 2008 is not being supported, its time for me to upgrade. :)

a0me
Apr 4, 2013, 06:26 PM
I know of people that have a mac running MS office, chrome browser, dropbox, and a bunch of other stuff. That was the WinTel model not the Walled-off-Garden that is Apple. What is the point of getting an Apple if you are going to then not use the whole value proposition. At least for me it makes no sense. If I was going to do the mix and match and then fight with the integration model, I would get a cheap ass WinTel thing.

So when you buy a Sony Blu-ray player, you should only connect it to a Sony TV, a Sony audio system and only watch Sony movies on it?

VulchR
Apr 4, 2013, 06:44 PM
I would use MS Office if it were a complete package that could be bought rather than paying a subscription. I want a set of program's that is the final product, and I don't want to $10 a month for MS to fix its bugs. Subscription is a stupid business model that alienates people.

spb3
Apr 4, 2013, 06:51 PM
hopefully they will support 2011 for some time.

canucksfan88
Apr 4, 2013, 07:04 PM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/04/microsoft-to-end-support-for-office-2008-for-mac-on-april-9/)

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/04/officeformac.jpg)Microsoft today announced (http://blog.officeformac.com/ending-support-for-office-for-mac-2008/) that it will end support for Office 2008 for Mac next Tuesday, on April 9.Microsoft recommends that affected users purchase an Office 365 subscription (http://www.microsoft.com/mac/buy), which includes Office for Mac 2011 and future updates to the product. Office 365 costs $100 per year or $10 per month. Office 2011 can be purchased (http://www.microsoft.com/mac/buy) for $140 to $220.

Office for Mac 2008 updates will be available for download until April 19, 2014, but no new updates will be provided after April 9, 2013. The software will remain functional even though it will no longer be supported.

Article Link: Microsoft to End Support for Office 2008 for Mac on April 9 (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/04/microsoft-to-end-support-for-office-2008-for-mac-on-april-9/)

So you are comparing a major operating system to an office suite that is probably used only by a handful of users? hmmmm

GermanyChris
Apr 4, 2013, 07:07 PM

Some of us have issues with MS that we just won't let go of..

PlayonLinux runs Office just fine

deanbar
Apr 4, 2013, 07:28 PM
I think I've bought my last MS Office. OpenOffice and LibreOffice are good enough replacements for what I do now.

+1, exactly the same for me.

xSinghx
Apr 4, 2013, 07:34 PM
From now on I'm going to visualize Microsoft as a giant troll. Any announcement from them and I know what to expect.

Can anyone even remember an announcement from them that didn't piss off or alienate the people they're trying to sell to?

ArcaneDevice
Apr 4, 2013, 07:42 PM

Lucky for you that you only started using Apple recently. You would have been able to find no reason to use a Mac before Apple came up with this "walled-garden" approach. :rolleyes:

Thankfully a few of us could come up with plenty of other reasons to use a Mac back then. Even if it did require using services from other developers. :gasp:

----------

You are complaining that Microsoft is stopping support for a five year old product when Apple routinely drop features and support systems for hardware and OS that was released a couple of years ago?

AnonMac50
Apr 4, 2013, 07:54 PM
Didn't they have their support lifecycle as 2 years (or was it 4) after the product after the one released is released, or when this product is 5 years old, whichever is later?

Eg, Office 2004 supported until 2 years after 2011 is released, 2008 supported until 2 years after 201x is released (probably 2014).

True, its been 5 years, but there is no new Office.

CReimer
Apr 4, 2013, 08:02 PM
I wonder if they will discount it.

If I'm the lucky bidder, I'll get a copy of Office 2008 off of eBay for five bucks (includes shipping). :p

joekun
Apr 4, 2013, 08:31 PM
I think the only tough choice here is whether to go to Open Office or Libre Office.

szw-mapple fan
Apr 4, 2013, 08:33 PM
2011 doesn't even work right (doesn't save window positions, Fonts in Outlook are still messed up, auto-correct randomly capitalizes a letter after an apostrophe, etc).

They don't really seem to support any version of Office for Mac.

Are all of your software up to date? I never have those problems runnung Office 2011 on my MBA. Altough I prefer iWork and rarely use Office nowadays.

Daveoc64
Apr 4, 2013, 08:50 PM
You are complaining that Microsoft is stopping support for a five year old product when Apple routinely drop features and support systems for hardware and OS that was released a couple of years ago?

Quite. I'll take Microsoft's clearly published (and generous) lifecycle over Apple's "updates when we feel like it" approach.

bdkennedy1
Apr 4, 2013, 09:42 PM
Office is basically useless unless you're a business that requires compatibility. I have to have Excel on my Mac because it supports formulas.

----------

I have a 2007 iMac that is 6 years old that OS X supports. Additionally, iOS 6 supports the iPhone 3GS which is 5 years old.

RMo
Apr 4, 2013, 10:08 PM
I would use MS Office if it were a complete package that could be bought rather than paying a subscription. I want a set of program's that is the final product, and I don't want to $10 a month for MS to fix its bugs. Subscription is a stupid business model that alienates people.

I agree with your sentiments, but I'm not sure how they're applicable to Office since it is (still) available as a boxed (or download) product for both Windows and Mac.

goodcow
Apr 4, 2013, 10:09 PM
Office is basically useless unless you're a business that requires compatibility. I have to have Excel on my Mac because it supports formulas.

----------

I have a 2007 iMac that is 6 years old that OS X supports. Additionally, iOS 6 supports the iPhone 3GS which is 5 years old.

The 3GS was released in June 2009, so it isn't even four years old yet. It's almost certain iOS 7 won't support that device either.

BBCWatcher
Apr 4, 2013, 11:09 PM
To clarify, Microsoft is ending Mainstream Support only for Microsoft Office 2008. According to Microsoft’s published support policy, Extended Support for Microsoft Office 2008 begins on April 9, 2013, and it lasts a minimum of 5 years (i.e. until April 9, 2018). During the Extended Support phase Microsoft will provide security fixes.

Please update this blog post to clarify this issue. (And yes, Microsoft Office 2008 is a “Business” product. Otherwise Microsoft would not have Microsoft Office 2008 Business Edition, for example.)

DblHelix
Apr 4, 2013, 11:12 PM
They need to revamp office for mac. The pivot tables suck, it runs slow and my company houses all of our data in SQL and we access it through OLAP cubes which are not supported on mac office

chadua
Apr 5, 2013, 12:05 AM
Didn't they have their support lifecycle as 2 years (or was it 4) after the product after the one released is released, or when this product is 5 years old, whichever is later?

Eg, Office 2004 supported until 2 years after 2011 is released, 2008 supported until 2 years after 201x is released (probably 2014).

True, its been 5 years, but there is no new Office.

The policy is 5 years or 2 years after the next version (not 2 versions). They used the phrase N+1 (where N is the release you are buying).

To clarify, Microsoft is ending Mainstream Support only for Microsoft Office 2008. According to Microsoft’s published support policy, Extended Support for Microsoft Office 2008 begins on April 9, 2013, and it lasts a minimum of 5 years (i.e. until April 9, 2018). During the Extended Support phase Microsoft will provide security fixes.

Please update this blog post to clarify this issue. (And yes, Microsoft Office 2008 is a “Business” product. Otherwise Microsoft would not have Microsoft Office 2008 Business Edition, for example.)

There is no extended support for Office 2008 they are just ending support for it. If you look in the chart the article links to about the support cycle it says that extended support is not applicable to this release.

alphaod
Apr 5, 2013, 12:28 AM

The Mac team has like 5 people whereas the Windows team has probably 100x as much.

BBCWatcher
Apr 5, 2013, 01:42 AM
There is no extended support for Office 2008 they are just ending support for it. If you look in the chart the article links to about the support cycle it says that extended support is not applicable to this release.
Yes, and that's incorrect -- their support policy requires business products to be supported for a minimum of 5 plus 5. (Microsoft Office 2008 is a business product -- at least the one called Business Edition. The words "Office" and "Business" are pretty big clues.)

Microsoft initially failed to follow their own support policy with Microsoft Office 2004, but they fixed it. (Office 2004 was governed by their previous support lifecycle policy, and they corrected the Mainstream Support period accordingly.) So this is par for the course with Microsoft to goof (or "goof").

Anyway, to net it out, if you've got Microsoft Office 2008, don't panic. Microsoft has to provide security patches until at least April 9, 2018. If they don't, lawyers will have a great lawsuit.

funkypepper
Apr 5, 2013, 02:56 AM
I think the only tough choice here is whether to go to Open Office or Libre Office.

NeoOffice is another good alternative with great OS X integration.

LibreOffice lacks OS X integration and lots of OS X specific bugs.

RichardI
Apr 5, 2013, 06:27 AM
Interesting. I will not be purchasing any more copies of MS Office. Pages will do everything I use Word for, as will Numbers for Excel; and they're a lot cheaper. I suspect a lot of others will do the same.

Krazy Bill
Apr 5, 2013, 07:03 AM
More predictable and narrow-minded views of MS Office rife with Apple fanaticism and inexperience in the real world. Office is what separates you "home" users from the rest of us in the enterprise and academia arenas. Keep your consumer crap like Pages and Numbers for garage sale fliers and those silly-assed home inventory lists. Those of us that need to exchange documents and interact with reality will continue to use the real thing.

Edit:

Thus, the point is that most of the rest of the world still uses Windows machines, and, in order to communicate competently and easily with that work world, some of us use - and have to use - Office for Mac. I do, and actually, professionally, it is a deal breaker for me, as every organisation and university I have ever worked for use hardly anything other than Windows. hence, Office for Mac will always be on my computer, irrespective of what else lives there.

^This

JGRE
Apr 5, 2013, 07:41 AM
Office for Mac 2008 was a disaster anyways :eek:

pnoyblazed
Apr 5, 2013, 07:46 AM
Doesn't your employer need to have an Enterprise Agreement in place to implement this?

I figure if you work for a company that uses a lot of computers that use windows, then I would assume so. Either way, it's a steal at that price point

flottenheimer
Apr 5, 2013, 08:05 AM

Cool.
Do you happen to have a link? (crossing my fingers that it works for Europe too).

pnoyblazed
Apr 5, 2013, 08:13 AM
Cool.
Do you happen to have a link? (crossing my fingers that it works for Europe too).

http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/chooser.aspx?culture=en-US

Should work in Europe too

Cuban Missles
Apr 5, 2013, 08:26 AM
So when you buy a Sony Blu-ray player, you should only connect it to a Sony TV, a Sony audio system and only watch Sony movies on it?

Actually yes. If you use multiple vendors in your example you end up with multiple remote controls or then you have to invest in a smart remote control that never really replaces them all. I have a samsung tv with a samsung DVD player and a Samsung surround sound -- 1 remote! and then the apple remote for the appleTV.

To be clear, I do understand that using best in class gives you something extra, but it also requires a lot of work. Using the walled garden or the all-in-one approach, means that you will not get the best in class on everything, but for some (like me) it is best enough and I dont have to worry about all the extra work to make it all work.

----------

Lucky for you that you only started using Apple recently. You would have been able to find no reason to use a Mac before Apple came up with this "walled-garden" approach. :rolleyes:

Thankfully a few of us could come up with plenty of other reasons to use a Mac back then. Even if it did require using services from other developers. :gasp:[COLOR="#808080"]

My first computer was an Apple II back in the seventies. as I have posted elsewhere, there has always been and probably always will be the argument between best-in-class and all-in-one. When I was younger, I loved to tinker and build my own computers. I was clearly in the best-in-class camp. Now, I have other things that take up my time and I am comfortable that the industry has matured enough to where the all-in-one is best-enough. So I have moved on over to the other camp.

Breaking Good
Apr 5, 2013, 09:32 AM
I wish Apple and Google would team up to drive a steak right into the heart of Microsoft's last cash cow and then just split the profits.

Apple and Google would gain new cash streams and it would finally spell the end ot Microsoft.

cjmillsnun
Apr 5, 2013, 09:49 AM

That's why it gets updates through software update then :rolleyes:

a0me
Apr 5, 2013, 11:01 AM
Actually yes. If you use multiple vendors in your example you end up with multiple remote controls or then you have to invest in a smart remote control that never really replaces them all. I have a samsung tv with a samsung DVD player and a Samsung surround sound -- 1 remote!
So, seen any good Samsung movies recently?

FirstNTenderbit
Apr 5, 2013, 11:31 AM
I wish Apple and Google would team up to drive a steak right into the heart of Microsoft's last cash cow and then just split the profits.

Apple and Google would gain new cash streams and it would finally spell the end ot Microsoft.

The Tonight Show may be looking for new comedy writers. You should definitely apply because that's pretty funny.:D

vmistery
Apr 5, 2013, 11:41 AM
Cool.

Your organisation also has to be enrolled and willing to do it. We offer it to our users but we had to manually opt in via the VLSC.

Cuban Missles
Apr 5, 2013, 11:48 AM
So, seen any good Samsung movies recently?

So in other words, my argument was too strong for you to counter with something productive and you needed to resort to this statement. No answer needed to your question. Please go back to eating your sushi.

locoboi187
Apr 5, 2013, 11:59 AM

My god, Pages is just terrible. I just use it so I can transfer my word document to the cloud :rolleyes:

applesith
Apr 5, 2013, 12:34 PM

Yes, and I will wait to upgrade until one happens.

extradryny
Apr 5, 2013, 12:40 PM
Are all of your software up to date? I never have those problems runnung Office 2011 on my MBA. Altough I prefer iWork and rarely use Office nowadays.

As a heavy user of Office on both Windows and Mac, I can attest that Office 2011 for Mac is god-awful -- especially Excel.

wilsonlaidlaw
Apr 5, 2013, 12:57 PM
As a heavy user of Office on both Windows and Mac, I can attest that Office 2011 for Mac is god-awful -- especially Excel.

Totally agree. 2008 on my wife's PowerMac works far better than 2011 on my MBP and iMac. Outlook 2011 is a disgrace. How on earth could you design a product which uses different field names for the database to those in the operating system, so that data fails to sync or is corrupted. As usual, users of otherwise excellent and fully operational Power PC machines are being dumped in the ordure. Can't anyone design a decent mail/contacts/diary program for Mac and no Mail/iCal/Address book is no more the answer than the buggy fragile Outlook 2011.

Sardonick007
Apr 5, 2013, 01:54 PM
I thought it was the end of the world when I switched to my iMac and had to use iWork. So I bought the office suite and felt all tingly. Now, after using Pages for so long, I could not possibly care less about MS. Certainly not enough to buy a subscription. So long suckers.

ifij775
Apr 5, 2013, 01:55 PM
I think I would recommend iWork over Office 365 at that price point.

GermanyChris
Apr 5, 2013, 02:26 PM

MS has many cash cows, which is the last?

el-John-o
Apr 5, 2013, 02:52 PM

Support for XP is ending in April of 2014, which was an extension from an initial deadline which I believe was in 2012, which was AGAIN an extension from another deadline; basically, big companies shell-shocked from Vista still not sure if they want to go to 7 or 8, and forcing Microsofts hand into supporting XP. You cannot, however, get a license for XP anymore. Any new machine CANNOT run XP, that happened years ago and Lenovo threw a fit because they had actually refused to install Vista, instead putting XP on brand-new machines.

Even so, not quite a fair comparison. Operating systems have much longer lifespans than other pieces of software. Also, kind of the pot calling the kettle black; Apple tends to drop support for software and OS'es more quickly than MS does. (Granted, their software costs much less to upgrade...)

Personally, I use Office for Windows. Use it in parallels. I have Windows machines that use it, and I use it on my mac when compatibility is needed (Pages, Numbers and Keynote are good, but as good as keynote is I've found it's export to powerpoint to be less than stellar, and when you regularly present on a Windows XP powered projector setup, MS Office is the only option!). I kind of wish Apple would release a free 'viewer' for applications like keynote, so presenting on a Mac wouldn't be a necessity for Keynote users.

Beyond that, I use the iWork suite. I just prefer it. But; I prefer it for the same reason I prefer Final Cut Pro X over previous versions. It's simple, and doesn't have a ton of features that I don't need. The work I do in office and in FCP is basic to intermediate at best (letters, papers, simple presentations, etc. Video is basic stuff to, nothing pro or production level, would never dream of owning FCP if not for a steep education discount), so software that is easy, and has only the features I need and use (don't need to wade through complicated features I won't use) is nice. BUT, Office IS more powerful, and does more, for the niche of users who need those features.

blabliblu
Apr 5, 2013, 03:07 PM
The release gap between Office for Windows and for Mac is ridiculous.

Why not release Office 2013 on Mac already ?

Ciclismo
Apr 5, 2013, 03:21 PM
Numbers, Pages and Keynote €54
MS Office €124.80 p.a.

No contest for a non-professional home user.

Breaking Good
Apr 5, 2013, 04:10 PM
The Tonight Show may be looking for new comedy writers. You should definitely apply because that's pretty funny.:D

Well I'm glad that you found it amusing. But could you explain why? I meant it to be serious and I'm curious as to why you thought it amusing.

Just my $0.02, Microsoft has stiffled innovation in IT for the past thirty years. They cannot go out of business fast enough for me. It was not until the development of the Smartphone by Apple and the subsequent tablet and rise of true mobile computing that someone was able to break their stranglehold.

----------

MS has many cash cows, which is the last?

How about listing the top five out and I will tell you.

They have a hold on Enterprise desktop solutions with Windows and Office. I will count that as one and two.

They have Windows server, but I believe that Linus based systems are making inroads into that to the point that the market has stagnated for Microsoft. But I will count that as three.

Do you have a four and a five?

GermanyChris
Apr 5, 2013, 04:36 PM
Well I'm glad that you found it amusing. But could you explain why? I meant it to be serious and I'm curious as to why you thought it amusing.

Just my $0.02, Microsoft has stiffled innovation in IT for the past thirty years. They cannot go out of business fast enough for me. It was not until the development of the Smartphone by Apple and the subsequent tablet and rise of true mobile computing that someone was able to break their stranglehold.

----------

How about listing the top five out and I will tell you.

They have a hold on Enterprise desktop solutions with Windows and Office. I will count that as one and two.

They have Windows server, but I believe that Linus based systems are making inroads into that to the point that the market has stagnated for Microsoft. But I will count that as three.

Do you have a four and a five?

Sharepoint
xBox
System Center

and while not a cash cow it keeps Windows at 90% market share

Visual Studio

While I'm no fan of MS they do a lot of blue sky research.

Morod
Apr 5, 2013, 05:27 PM
MS-free zone on my iMac.
Just sayin'.

ScottyTheMenace
Apr 5, 2013, 05:40 PM
I can guarantee Microsoft that I won't be "upgrading" to Office 2011. In fact, I will likely never buy it again. I tried Office 2011 and it sucks. It has neither the same feature set nor an even remotely similar user experience as the Windows version. I have never understood what would compel them to build completely different user experiences for Mac and Windows. It's absurd.

I use plenty of cross platform products (Adobe suites and browsers are just two examples) and the user experience is largely the same on Mac and Windows, with the OS-necessitated differences being relatively minor eye candy.

Now that I'm in a job that doesn't require me to use a single piece of Microsoft software, it's good riddance. I'll probably gain back ten years of my life on frustration relief alone.

johncrab
Apr 5, 2013, 06:01 PM
I am one of those still using Office 2008. I have migrated it from one machine to another. That's the only way to do it because 2008 requires an installer which needs Rosetta in order to run. That's the craziest part of the whole package.

My needs have changed and I'm not sure I'll upgrade. I like Pages better. It is certainly less expensive, smaller and doesn't hit me with a half gigabyte bug fix every few weeks.

Lancer
Apr 5, 2013, 06:17 PM
I installed Office 2008 on my new iMac and had no problems with it but a few weeks ago I decided to get 2011, one of the last multi installer packs and have had no problem with it. Maybe I'm not a heavy user but Word and Excel work fine for me.

Macrolido
Apr 5, 2013, 06:42 PM
I only use Word and works fine for me.

tekboi
Apr 5, 2013, 07:12 PM
looks like i'll be booting into Windows alot more often now. I refuse to use iWork as my main word processor.

a0me
Apr 5, 2013, 10:35 PM
So in other words, my argument was too strong for you to counter with something productive and you needed to resort to this statement.
I think it nicely summed up the deficiency of your argument.
No answer needed to your question. Please go back to eating your sushi.
So you respond with a racist comeback. Well played, dumbass, and welcome to my ignore list.

----------

I sort of agree with you but Excel 2011 for Mac supports VBA macro; if you work with clients who use Windows, that only made the upgrade from Excel 2008 mandatory.

funkypepper
Apr 6, 2013, 01:14 AM
looks like i'll be booting into Windows alot more often now. I refuse to use iWork as my main word processor.

Why? As far as I know Office 2008 will continue to function. :rolleyes:

redmotion
Apr 6, 2013, 03:54 AM
Being a cheapskate that refuses to pay £300+ for a *********g text editor. I just use Open Office. It's easier to use, free (but worth donating to), supported, updated regularly, less bloated and for mac and Windows, Linux.

Simplicated
Apr 6, 2013, 05:22 AM
I wonder if they will discount it. In any case, I'm doubtful many people will spend money on a subscription. Maybe, they should turn it into a freemium app where you could purchase coins to buy different actions. How much should it be worth to enable the help paper clip :D ?

Compound it with an in-app currency that allows you to avoid having to wait a set amount of time before you can do certain actions.

ct2k7
Apr 6, 2013, 05:30 AM
Being a cheapskate that refuses to pay £300+ for a *********g text editor. I just use Open Office. It's easier to use, free (but worth donating to), supported, updated regularly, less bloated and for mac and Windows, Linux.

If you want a text editor, then why not use TextEdit... it's free.

Winni
Apr 6, 2013, 08:31 AM
Numbers, Pages and Keynote €54
MS Office €124.80 p.a.

No contest for a non-professional home user.

LibreOffice: Free and Open Source. And it can even open Visio graphs and has a database application.

THAT should be anybody's choice instead of pumping even more hard-earned money into the pockets of some corporations.

jmoore5196
Apr 6, 2013, 12:41 PM
Here's a novel thought: Let's stop supporting Microsoft!

I stand in solidarity with a couple of fellow posters ... I have no MS software on any machine I own.

bwillwall
Apr 6, 2013, 02:01 PM
and/or install that HOP version of MS Office 2011.

Subscription service, forget it.

Pages is actually a pretty great document editor. I prefer it to word myself.

----------

LibreOffice: Free and Open Source. And it can even open Visio graphs and has a database application.

THAT should be anybody's choice instead of pumping even more hard-earned money into the pockets of some corporations.

Libre office is annoying as hell to use. It is extremely buggy compared to office and especially to pages. I use pages and google docs.

moose.boy
Apr 6, 2013, 04:07 PM
My god, Pages is just terrible. I just use it so I can transfer my word document to the cloud :rolleyes:

Really ? As a word processor pages is far more elegant and stable than Microsoft Word is. As a heavy user of MS Word on Windows i have grown to hate the overbloated buggy piece of crap. I'm sure there is code in there hanging around from Word for Windows 1 (which i also used)

Luscious
Apr 6, 2013, 05:06 PM

It isnt, which is why they are pushing the subscription model over the old buy it and keep it until you have to upgrade model. More revenue and a constant cash flow.

Great for Balmer's pocket book, terrible for most users. Move to OpenOffice, LibreOffice or NeoOffice. They are all free and can handle most Office documents just fine. Outlook is really the only thing that sets Office apart anymore and if your company runs Exhange just use OWA.

locoboi187
Apr 6, 2013, 07:00 PM
Really ? As a word processor pages is far more elegant and stable than Microsoft Word is. As a heavy user of MS Word on Windows i have grown to hate the overbloated buggy piece of crap. I'm sure there is code in there hanging around from Word for Windows 1 (which i also used)

Just curious to know, what bugs have you seen? So I can try to reproduce it on my Mac.

Nikiaf
Apr 6, 2013, 07:56 PM
Office for mac leaves something to be desired, but honestly I don't find iWork to be much better. I write a lot of papers for school and always do my final edit in word for Windows because it's the easiest to work with. I would have to argue that's true for all the office apps. The only exception I have to this is Keynote, I like using it just because so few people actually do; resulting in a more original-looking presentation because the themes and animations don't look so tired.

JAT
Apr 6, 2013, 08:37 PM
Excel is almost unusable

Actually yes. If you use multiple vendors in your example you end up with multiple remote controls or then you have to invest in a smart remote control that never really replaces them all. .

Just because you don't know how to use something properly doesn't mean it doesn't work. :rolleyes:

xSinghx
Apr 6, 2013, 08:42 PM
I'm surprised so many people are complaining about office 2008 for mac. 2010 office was a step down for me. It has far more bugs, crashes, and terrible UI compared to 2008 in my book.

kingtj
Apr 6, 2013, 10:53 PM
I know where I work, we're primarily a Mac OS X environment (with a fair number of Windows PCs in use too), and for us -- the biggest reason to use Office 2011 vs. 2008 has been Outlook on the Mac side.

For better or for worse, we rely heavily on the functionality of Outlook, and though it's possible to use Mac Mail with iCal and Address Book as an alternative, 90% of use who tried it think it stinks.

We're connected to an Exchange server and making a lot of use of calendar scheduling and even shared resources. It's nice having all of that in one application vs. spreading it out all over several different Mac apps.

MS still doesn't really have Outlook 2011 for Mac up to speed in some respects. (Ever try to share a calendar via the Internet so anyone can view it? In Windows Outlook, it's a simple click to upload one to Microsoft Live. No such functionality for the Mac version. Can't view multiple calendars in split windows like the Windows version allows either.) But it's as good as it gets for the OS X user right now.

The rest of the Office suite we could pretty much live without. Keynote is great for presentation graphics and we typically use it instead of PowerPoint, even when a machine has both apps installed. Excel trumps Numbers if you need to do hard-core spreadsheet work -- but we really don't. (In fact, I'd say a lot of companies who do only do because they've misused Excel for so long, making it do things better handled in a dedicated application of some sort. But in the interest of saving money, or just using the tools they had instead of researching other options, they made "mega spreadsheets" packed full of complex formulas or macros.) We do use Word, but again, could go another direction with that if we wanted. It's sort of "insurance" that you can properly open/work with documents emailed in from other people, as much as anything these days.

funkypepper
Apr 6, 2013, 11:50 PM

Nice point. I also think that people's priority should be supporting FOSS software, if enough people support it, then there will be no need for expensive software at all.

The more support LibreOffice gets, the better it will become. They are already working very hard to modernise their software. And on the Mac side there is no support at all; from developers, from users.

It's all up to us. And also there is NeoOffice, although the latest version is $10, previous version is always available for free, and the source code itself. It has great Mac integration, that is what LibreOffice lacks at the moment (and will continue to lack, if there will be no volunteer support).

katewes
Apr 7, 2013, 01:41 AM
Look, in theory I am all for all these open source software --- who wouldn't want to save money -- but I found they didn't work 100% perfection, and I can't afford to stuff around particularly with business software for work.

I used OpenOffice to open some Excel spreadsheet files, and it was woeful.

With Pages/Word, I did an experiment. I created a document in Pages, opened in Word and edited it, saved, opened in Pages and edited it, saved ... and just kept doing this for several iterations. Eventually, there were formatting problems. It wasn't that I did anything fancy. I just did normal text typing. I can't afford that. I receive and send Word documents to clients for business matters, and cannot afford these formatting errors.

GermanyChris
Apr 7, 2013, 03:33 AM
Look, in theory I am all for all these open source software --- who wouldn't want to save money -- but I found they didn't work 100% perfection, and I can't afford to stuff around particularly with business software for work.

I used OpenOffice to open some Excel spreadsheet files, and it was woeful.

With Pages/Word, I did an experiment. I created a document in Pages, opened in Word and edited it, saved, opened in Pages and edited it, saved ... and just kept doing this for several iterations. Eventually, there were formatting problems. It wasn't that I did anything fancy. I just did normal text typing. I can't afford that. I receive and send Word documents to clients for business matters, and cannot afford these formatting errors.

It's not really about saving money it's about control. You can modify FOSS all you want, no one "owns" the code.

James Craner
Apr 7, 2013, 04:02 AM
To be honest I don't believe that iWork or Microsoft Office is necessarily better than the other. It all depends on the users context and what they want to do with each Application. I can think of specific examples in different kinds of situations that each Application in each suite would be a better option than the other. I did put together an article that compares the two here (http://www.productivityorchard.com/iwork09-vs-office2011), if anyone is interested that highlights the strengths and weaknesses of each of the applications.

I can't really understand why a small minority have to be so negative about Microsoft, Microsoft does not have to lose for Apple to be successful.

GermanyChris
Apr 7, 2013, 06:38 AM
To be honest I don't believe that iWork or Microsoft Office is necessarily better than the other. It all depends on the users context and what they want to do with each Application. I can think of specific examples in different kinds of situations that each Application in each suite would be a better option than the other. I did put together an article that compares the two here (http://www.productivityorchard.com/iwork09-vs-office2011), if anyone is interested that highlights the strengths and weaknesses of each of the applications.

I can't really understand why a small minority have to be so negative about Microsoft, Microsoft does not have to lose for Apple to be successful.

MS in the past wantonly committed some egregious actions imaginable at a time when the internet was in it's infancy. Some they are still paying for, its not win/lose it's more a vote of conscious.

James Craner
Apr 7, 2013, 08:07 AM
MS in the past wantonly committed some egregious actions imaginable at a time when the internet was in it's infancy. Some they are still paying for, its not win/lose it's more a vote of conscious.

So did Apple to be honest, it was 90 days (http://thenextweb.com/apple/2010/06/02/steve-jobs-90-days/) from going bust according to Steve Jobs when he returned to Apple. If it was not for Microsoft's $150M lifeline, Apple probably would not be here today.

GermanyChris
Apr 7, 2013, 08:54 AM
So did Apple to be honest, it was 90 days (http://thenextweb.com/apple/2010/06/02/steve-jobs-90-days/) from going bust according to Steve Jobs when he returned to Apple. If it was not for Microsoft's $150M lifeline, Apple probably would not be here today.

That has what to do with MS and their leverage and it abuse of it?

The keynote that announced the investment is where you got your line MS doesn't have to loose for Apple to succeed..

MacAddict1978
Apr 7, 2013, 09:04 AM

True.

However, isn't this the version that can't even be installed without rosetta?

Most people will have upgraded anyway. It's also 5 years old. A new mac office is due soon.

I agree with some people about liking the simplicity of iWork... and while I work makes page layout and things much easier and more elegant, even when you export to office formats something always breaks.

I had a project for work and I had to use Power Point. Keynote just wouldn't translate but it would have saved me hours of time.

Apple needs to overhaul iWork!!!!!!

----------

To be fair, I don't think Microsoft did that out of the goodness of their hearts. They obviously saw a return on that investment in the future.

Office and Windows lisences are the only thing making them money now. And they are seeing declines in those numbers every year as mobile devices take hold and reduce reliance on pc's and the OS being less relevant.

Microsoft has more than made that investment back just in Office sales alone. And that money wasn't a, "here's some free cash." They got paid back well more than they paid in.

I'm sure now they may regret that decision because they underestimated the threat Apple would become. Not just Apple, but let's be realistic... if not for Apple, Android likely wouldn't exist as it does either.

We would still end up in at this cross roads in tech, but the map would look different (concerning competitors), and it may have been delayed long enough that MS wouldn't have charged into battle as the under dog and half dead.

Someone will likely cite Xbox as being a profit maker... but when you factor in the losses of the first xbox, and the time it took the 360 to turn a profit, there is that point that they only came to break even. These numbers are never showcased over the lifetime of a product, just by the current year and past few quarters. Now the next gen Xbox will be coming to market, and that will be a loss leader for it's first few years. Long story short, it's becoming a profitable division but it's not bankrolling the company. All that money that's been sunk into it thus far came from Office and Windows. The next xbox will be the one that really shows if MS can fill their treasure vaults in that category.

jaymzuk
Apr 7, 2013, 10:02 AM
That has what to do with MS and their leverage and it abuse of it?

While we're talking about abusing positions of leverage, how's that DOJ investigation into the agency model going?

GermanyChris
Apr 7, 2013, 10:26 AM
While we're talking about abusing positions of leverage, how's that DOJ investigation into the agency model going?

It's going well, hopefully Apple will get a big fine, be forced to give money back to people who bought books and be forced to open it's proprietary format.

How do you think it's going?

Alenore
Apr 7, 2013, 11:43 AM

Yup, you should install Linux on your mac too !

JerryCard
Apr 7, 2013, 11:48 AM
I am using Google Doc most of time. Give it a try, very easy to use, especially if you want to work on things from different locations and computers.

Cybbe
Apr 7, 2013, 01:44 PM
It's not really about saving money it's about control. You can modify FOSS all you want, no one "owns" the code.

You're fairly delusional if you think most people's interest in open source stem from an ability to tweak the code themselves. It's simply false that most people can modify FOSS "all they want" as only a small minority have the ability to do so, and even in this group most won't have the time or resources.

GermanyChris
Apr 7, 2013, 01:51 PM
You're fairly delusional if you think most people's interest in open source stem from an ability to tweak the code themselves. It's simply false that most people can modify FOSS "all they want" as only a small minority have the ability to do so, and even in this group most won't have the time or resources.

yet some how GNU has been out there since the 80's and Linux since 91. For the average user means not being under the large SW companies thumb and whims

dbroncos78087
Apr 7, 2013, 01:58 PM
I have nothing against Microsoft Office. I've used the Windows versions in school and they were extremely easy to use.

But Office 2008 for Mac is complete garbage, and using it is a nightmare in my opinion. For the Mac side Pages & Numbers is a much better alternative or better yet Google Docs.

I agree with you. Office 2008 was atrocious. I recently upgraded to 2011 and it is night and day. 2011 feels more like a legitimate Office product. for those of us who like Office, that is obviously a compliment.

MetalGearTW
Apr 7, 2013, 02:56 PM

I recently switched over from Windows 8 to Mac (Mac Mini 2012) and though I am currently a student, MS Office is still too pricey. Thank you so much for bringing this up!!! It worked with my university .edu email.

e-coli
Apr 7, 2013, 04:37 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooo more critical security flaw updates. ;)

MichaelLAX
Apr 7, 2013, 06:54 PM
However, isn't this the version that can't even be installed without rosetta?

That was a myth that has been debunked.

Tomacorno
Apr 8, 2013, 09:18 AM
They did BOTH in MY pickup truck and haven't brought it back.

Any free Six-String guitar apps to keep me company???

I have a guitar app with 5 working strings and a broken high E. That is probably more what you need.

Terrin
Apr 8, 2013, 10:34 AM
No they slept with my dog and ran over my wife on the way to your place to sleep with your wife. Seriously is there a need for this stupidity.

I don't have an issue with Office, other than it is expensive for what it does, but Google's crap calls home like crazy.

jamesjingyi
Apr 9, 2013, 06:31 AM
iWork ftw haha (apart from Excel..... :) )

mudman2
Apr 9, 2013, 06:53 AM
Just as IOS people (around 100 million) managed to work around the availability of Office I am sure we OSX users can do the same

Microsoft = grunge = damp in the head

Doctor Q
Apr 9, 2013, 11:14 PM
It's April 9. Does the world look different?

calaverasgrande
Apr 12, 2013, 11:34 AM
Good Riddance.
I am so sick of "rebuilding the database".
At my work I have been on a mission to get everyone off of Office 2008 (and 2004). Replacing it with Apples suite for people that don't need advanced features, and with 2011 for those that do.

As far as all you Microsoft haters saying "just use Google docs" or "Just use Mail and Keynote". Those products are great for light use or SOHO use. But in medium to large businesses. In accounting, analytics and other heavy numbers departments there is no replacement that has as many features and as much third party support as the Office Suite.
I know it is hard to use in some ways, and can be a PITA to troubleshoot. (see "rebuild database...") but the google docs and Apple suite equivalents of Excel are just not nearly as advanced. This also applies to the email client as well. Though I am still disapointed that I cannot manage distribution lists from Mac Outlook 2011, but I can from PC Outlook 2003?

BornAgainMac
Apr 13, 2013, 02:46 AM
Though I am still disapointed that I cannot manage distribution lists from Mac Outlook 2011, but I can from PC Outlook 2003?

That is because of design. Do that in Contacts app. It is a system wide address book in Mountain Lion. Before it was called Address book.
Outlook just rolls in Contacts, Calendar, Mail into one application where Apple uses a dedicated Mail app and uses global Address Book and Calendar repositories that many third-party apps can use.

calaverasgrande
Apr 14, 2013, 09:33 AM
That is because of design. Do that in Contacts app. It is a system wide address book in Mountain Lion. Before it was called Address book.
Outlook just rolls in Contacts, Calendar, Mail into one application where Apple uses a dedicated Mail app and uses global Address Book and Calendar repositories that many third-party apps can use.
AFAIK you cannot manage an Exchange server DL from Contacts, or any Mac application that I now of. You can only build your own DLs that are limited to being used by you. Not any use to me.