Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raven282

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2013
I live in a dorm that has spotty wifi, I'm assuming due to the fact that there are so many people trying to access it. Someone suggested I get a bridge to connect to my Ethernet and try to get my laptop to connect via wifi to the bridge. I bought an edimax product and set it up as an access point. I went through all the setup and everything appears to be working correctly. My wifi picks up the AP and shows everything as green: the network, the Internet, etc but webpages won't load. My problem is I can't get to the router to try and reset it or to know what channel it is on. Any suggestions?

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
I live in a dorm that has spotty wifi, I'm assuming due to the fact that there are so many people trying to access it. Someone suggested I get a bridge to connect to my Ethernet and try to get my laptop to connect via wifi to the bridge. I bought an edimax product and set it up as an access point. I went through all the setup and everything appears to be working correctly. My wifi picks up the AP and shows everything as green: the network, the Internet, etc but webpages won't load. My problem is I can't get to the router to try and reset it or to know what channel it is on. Any suggestions?

I would look into the rules of your university dorms. Many universities ban what you are suggesting due to interference, security, etc. They may be blocking it already for all you know or will remove your internet access if you fail to comply with the rules. If you option click the wifi symbol in your top right corner it will tell you what channel you are using. Install kismac to see what kind of interference you are dealing with. Which Mac are you using, what OS are you on, and what router did you install?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.