PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a Powermac G5?

viktormadarasz
Apr 4, 2013, 03:57 PM
Hi,

Im frankly an Apple Fan and fanatic i guess. I have a main desktop Mac Mini 2012 model, I have an iBook G3 for light text editing an mainly Mac OS 9 softwares I have

On my iBook G3 I cant get like Skype and Watching videos or Youtube ( i dont mind cause its not for that)

Should I go get a Powermac G5 for multimedia? VLC , Mactubes, Office package, fluid quick web browsing??There are 2x2ghz 2004 year models for 200 euros more or less with shipping..

What are the limitations multimedia and light medium usage wise if there is any sure beside the 10.5.8 OS boundaries ( i understand i cant use a software which asks for 10.6 or higher)?

Thanks

Lil Chillbil
Apr 4, 2013, 04:14 PM
Short Answer is Yes

Long answer/Rant is that only you can answer this question, you seem to be very knowledgeable of the limitations of PowerPc. And if you can accept that then I would go for it. As far as multimedia limitatioins Netflix is a total no as well as all streaming services. It will play Dvds but not Blu-ray your pretty much limited to apps made before 2009 besides the few browsers still in development Stainless is something I recommend and is now opensorce. Tenfourfox is a very good version of firefox. Twitter and facebook will work great and even youtube will work if you turn on the html5 program and you should be able to play video in 1080p with a decent internet connection like I get here in the silicon valley. So in conclusion know the limits that is #1 and #2 flash is the enemy and #3 don't listen to rabidz7 if he tells you that you can run mountain lion on your G5

Chill,

viktormadarasz
Apr 4, 2013, 04:28 PM
Short Answer is Yes

Long answer/Rant is that only you can answer this question, you seem to be very knowledgeable of the limitations of PowerPc. And if you can accept that then I would go for it. As far as multimedia limitatioins Netflix is a total no as well as all streaming services. It will play Dvds but not Blu-ray your pretty much limited to apps made before 2009 besides the few browsers still in development Stainless is something I recommend and is now opensorce. Tenfourfox is a very good version of firefox. Twitter and facebook will work great and even youtube will work if you turn on the html5 program and you should be able to play video in 1080p with a decent internet connection like I get here in the silicon valley. So in conclusion know the limits that is #1 and #2 flash is the enemy and #3 don't listen to rabidz7 if he tells you that you can run mountain lion on your G5

Chill,

Thanks ;) Noo Mountain Lion is great on my Mac mini :)

Sure the limitations are clear, no wish for bluray, flash is enemy :) and the things you mentioned are those Id use it for.

Honestly Im pretty sure Id go for it cause a 1st gen Mac Pro is still over 500€ :( and honestly it doesnt score more in raw cpu power in Geekbench than my Mac mini (above 13 000)

I used to have a G4 MDD so I got the No's and Can not's of PPC I just always wished for that more power and flawless and of course beauty of PPC :)

My iBook G3 sure is light portable and sleek with its 12" but nothing about multimedia beyond iTunes but frankly that I have for Mac OS 9 :) I have a heart for OS 9 and oldschool software ( i grew up in the '80s)

Its a serious sickness... I fell in love with an Apple :)))

CptSky
Apr 4, 2013, 04:53 PM
H.264 videos encoded with High profile don't play really well on my quad PowerMac G5 with VLC / iTunes (QuickTime). Although it is way more powerful than my MacBook Pro in most cases, when it comes to H.264, the G5 isn't a beast :p Probably due to an old encoder/decoder.

Else, well, a G5 can do a lot for standard usage.

Lil Chillbil
Apr 4, 2013, 05:56 PM
Thanks ;) Noo Mountain Lion is great on my Mac mini :)

Sure the limitations are clear, no wish for bluray, flash is enemy :) and the things you mentioned are those Id use it for.

Honestly Im pretty sure Id go for it cause a 1st gen Mac Pro is still over 500€ :( and honestly it doesnt score more in raw cpu power in Geekbench than my Mac mini (above 13 000)

I used to have a G4 MDD so I got the No's and Can not's of PPC I just always wished for that more power and flawless and of course beauty of PPC :)

My iBook G3 sure is light portable and sleek with its 12" but nothing about multimedia beyond iTunes but frankly that I have for Mac OS 9 :) I have a heart for OS 9 and oldschool software ( i grew up in the '80s)

Its a serious sickness... I fell in love with an Apple :)))

If you looking for as smooth as possible then I would strongly recomend that you get a G5 2.5ghz Quad single pump. pop in 16 gigs of Ram from Owc and a 256gig ssd (make sure its sata 2 not 3) a 2tb western digital drive in the 2nd slot. As far as graphics performance Go for a Nvidia Geforce 6800 ultra. There is better cards out there but not without flashing them

rabidz7
Apr 4, 2013, 09:05 PM
( i understand i cant use a software which asks for 10.6 or higher)?

Thanks

You can, just edit a plist.
However, if it asks for intell only, then I can not talk about that. Most people say it is impossible.

MisterKeeks
Apr 4, 2013, 09:21 PM
However, if it asks for intell only, then I can not talk about that. Most people say it is impossible.

You are wrong. 10.6 is completely different from Leo, and there is a software requirement as well.

Lil Chillbil
Apr 4, 2013, 09:58 PM

This is where rule number 3 comes in :rolleyes:

viktormadarasz
Apr 4, 2013, 11:54 PM
If you looking for as smooth as possible then I would strongly recomend that you get a G5 2.5ghz Quad single pump. pop in 16 gigs of Ram from Owc and a 256gig ssd (make sure its sata 2 not 3) a 2tb western digital drive in the 2nd slot. As far as graphics performance Go for a Nvidia Geforce 6800 ultra. There is better cards out there but not without flashing them

You are right about quadcore G5s, the only thing that as far as I saw their prices are way over my reasonable limits for a PPC platform.

For a dual 2GHz G5 being charged 200€ its a fair deal for me. How the media performance of those compared to the Quad G5s? VLC with 720p content, Youtube/Mactube , Skype and Webbrowsing (no flash and light Java)?

Lil Chillbil
Apr 5, 2013, 12:06 AM
You are right about quadcore G5s, the only thing that as far as I saw their prices are way over my reasonable limits for a PPC platform.

For a dual 2GHz G5 being charged 200€ its a fair deal for me. How the media performance of those compared to the Quad G5s? VLC with 720p content, Youtube/Mactube , Skype and Webbrowsing (no flash and light Java)?

Not as good, if you must save a buck then just got for the dual 2.3 air cooled NOT THE DUAL 2.5 WATERCOOLED OR THE 2.7 WATERCOOLED

viktormadarasz
Apr 5, 2013, 12:12 AM
Not as good, if you must save a buck then just got for the dual 2.3 air cooled NOT THE DUAL 2.5 WATERCOOLED OR THE 2.7 WATERCOOLED

nooo watercooled noo those break down a lot bad fame they have :)

viktormadarasz
Apr 5, 2013, 12:25 AM

By the way it was mentioned somewhere that the later watercooled models equipped with Panasonic brand Liquid Cooling system were more reliable in question of coolant leaking...

Just to be exact: Were there aircooled Quad G5 or Liquid Coolin was the only option to go?

Nameci
Apr 5, 2013, 03:59 AM
By the way it was mentioned somewhere that the later watercooled models equipped with Panasonic brand Liquid Cooling system were more reliable in question of coolant leaking...

Just to be exact: Were there aircooled Quad G5 or Liquid Coolin was the only option to go?

This is your guide;

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/index-powermac-g5.html

viktormadarasz
Apr 5, 2013, 04:36 AM
This is your guide;

thanks Somehow I overlooked this :(

----------

This is your guide;

Yes it mentions at the model description if it was w liquid cooling or not

thanks

ihuman:D
Apr 5, 2013, 01:06 PM
A G5 is very poor for multimedia, especially anything 1080p. Even the Quad struggles with HD media. Get a MacPro instead.

No it isn't it, plays media very well.

Nameci
Apr 5, 2013, 01:44 PM
A G5 is very poor for multimedia, especially anything 1080p. Even the Quad struggles with HD media. Get a MacPro instead.

I don't need a mac pro to view 1080p, my quad is enough.

Apr 5, 2013, 01:53 PM
Please read my prior post.

Can your Quad play a 1080p video on one screen while playing a game on another?

You said: A G5 is very poor for multimedia, especially anything 1080p. Even the Quad struggles with HD media.

Nowhere did you say can it play full HD video and game at the same time. You just said G5s are bad for multimedia.

viktormadarasz
Apr 5, 2013, 02:12 PM
You said:

Nowhere did you say can it play full HD video and game at the same time. You just said G5s are bad for multimedia.

Honestly about a Mac Pro I think I would wait with a Mac Pro till Apple rolls out the new version of it (it will cut the prices of second hand one even if not drastically but with a few hundred euros....and who doesnt want to save 3-400 euros waiting a few months?)

The thing is right now Id love to go with even a Mac Pro 1st gen Intel but still has its prices 550€ up .... so... double than a dual core G5 ( I know that one goes till 10.7.5 and You get what You pay for)

So its not as easy as it gets when You feel attached to anythin with an Apple logo on it ;) Def Hot chicks in tight Apple logo tops ;) jeje

GermanyChris
Apr 5, 2013, 02:33 PM

That is a 500+ euro computer ($650)

Lil Chillbil
Apr 5, 2013, 03:48 PM
That is a 500+ euro computer ($650)

yes, but its only like $250 in the states

GermanyChris
Apr 5, 2013, 04:27 PM
yes, but its only like $250 in the states

but the OP's not in the states.

viktormadarasz
Apr 5, 2013, 04:34 PM

True..here in spain all cost more I mean Apple products definetly ...

GermanyChris
Apr 5, 2013, 04:39 PM
True..here in Europe all cost more I mean Apple products definetly ...

Fixed it for you

Lil Chillbil
Apr 5, 2013, 04:54 PM

Another reason to come to California, where the girls where short skirts all year round. quads are only $250 and Cheeseburgers and Large Drinks are only a Buck

GermanyChris
Apr 5, 2013, 04:56 PM
Another reason to come to California, where the girls where short skirts all year round. quads are only $250 and Cheeseburgers and Large Drinks are only a Buck

I'm married, don't eat meat, and despise California. :)

Apr 5, 2013, 04:59 PM
I can't get on to page 2 for some reason :confused:

On it now and I'm the first post. Why would it show page number 2 if there's no posts? :confused::confused::confused:

Lil Chillbil
Apr 5, 2013, 05:00 PM
I'm married, don't eat meat, and despise California. :)

yeah but you despise everything :p

GermanyChris
Apr 5, 2013, 05:11 PM
yeah but you despise everything :p

That is mostly true, like for example that whiner Bob Dylan. ;)

Goftrey
Apr 5, 2013, 05:42 PM
That is mostly true, like for example that whiner Bob Dylan. ;)

db94u6R7pLk

Sorry to go off topic here OP. But please listen. You may need to get your ears checked out if you think he's whining because this is quite clearly one of the best songs ever written :p

Lil Chillbil
Apr 5, 2013, 05:47 PM
YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=db94u6R7pLk)

Sorry to go off topic here OP. But please listen. You may need to get your ears checked out if you think he's whining because this is quite clearly one of the best songs ever written :p

He doesn't believe in heaven or ears ;)

Goftrey
Apr 5, 2013, 05:49 PM
He doesn't believe in heaven or ears ;)

I don't believe in heaven either. I just think it's one incredible song ;)

GermanyChris
Apr 5, 2013, 05:53 PM
YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=db94u6R7pLk)

the complaint about a soldiers death..Whining

No talk of the cause, just unjust, an eventual victory or not, just a complaint about death.

to top it the song is about 30 or 40 second to long..

it is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a book—what everyone else does not say in a book--Nietzsche

Lil Chillbil
Apr 5, 2013, 05:57 PM

No talk of the cause, just unjust, an eventual victory or not, just a complaint about death.

it is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a book—what everyone else does not say in a book--Nietzsche

I may not agree with what you say, but I will argue with you on a Mac forum until you agree-Every White Guy ever... :rolleyes:

GermanyChris
Apr 5, 2013, 05:59 PM
HqjcdJ3WXm0

more my style

Goftrey
Apr 5, 2013, 06:00 PM

Okay - I think you are I are on completely different wavelengths.

Let's listen to some meaningless, middle of the road sub par punk-rock for a minute then :rolleyes:

ZyaK3jo4Sl4

GermanyChris
Apr 5, 2013, 06:02 PM
x0ddOmzQlgY

Goftrey
Apr 5, 2013, 06:03 PM
YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=HqjcdJ3WXm0)

more my style

What a racket.

GermanyChris
Apr 5, 2013, 06:03 PM
Okay - I think you are I are on completely different wavelengths.

Let's listen to some meaningless, middle of the road sub par punk-rock for a minute then :rolleyes:

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZyaK3jo4Sl4)

That song is funny..

Her father took one look at me and he began to squeal :p

Goftrey
Apr 5, 2013, 06:04 PM
UE9mM_ut62Y

If you can't appreciate this song then I'm lost for words.

GermanyChris
Apr 5, 2013, 06:15 PM
bfrQ8ZutmLE

more funny "meaningless middle of the road punk"

----------

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=UE9mM_ut62Y)

If you can't appreciate this song then I'm lost for words.

In all of this you missing my point.

I'm generally an angry reasonably aggressive person (though less as I get older) who has little time or patience for people and their emotions. I have little time or patience for rules, morality, or laws. Music that speaks of emotion particularly of love or lament will immediately turn me off.

**edit**

In the end I'm that drunk kid that no one liked and in many ways I still am.

Goftrey
Apr 5, 2013, 06:19 PM
YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=bfrQ8ZutmLE)

more funny "meaningless middle of the road punk"

Aha, funny lyrics - it's not a 'song' though.

I just cannot find it in me to put Led Zepplin, or Tom Petty in the same category as these 'Dead Milkmen'.

If you want a p!ss-take & a good song working together. Stray no further than Tenacious D.

3b1acvZRvV4

GermanyChris
Apr 5, 2013, 06:24 PM
Aha, funny lyrics - it's not a 'song' though.

I just cannot find it in me to put Led Zepplin, or Tom Petty in the same category as these 'Dead Milkmen'.

If you want a p!ss-take & a good song working together. Stray no further than Tenacious D.

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=3b1acvZRvV4)

The Dead Milkmen were never supposed to be taken seriously they didn't take themselves seriously though they make some poignant observations at times.

I'll pass on Led Zepplin and Tom are who they are a general non-entity in my world

Goftrey
Apr 5, 2013, 06:26 PM
I'm generally an angry reasonably aggressive person (though less as I get older) who has little time or patience for people and their emotions. I have little time or patience for rules, morality, or laws. Music that speaks of emotion particularly of love or lament will immediately turn me off.

I'm completely with you on the term of not being emotional, and not really giving two-*****s about people & their feelings. But to me, the only form of verbal/physical media that actually gets to me is music.

----------

The Dead Milkmen were never supposed to be taken seriously

Hence the Tenacious D link ;)

GermanyChris
Apr 5, 2013, 06:34 PM
the only form of verbal/physical media that actually gets to me is music.

And thats fine

viktormadarasz
Apr 6, 2013, 12:08 AM

Id def do, just you know the US immigration policy is not like we have here in Europe...:) But I will consider :)

----------

Fixed it for you

If it was that easy :)))

----------

And thats fine

Well it means NakedNews despise You too? ;) Some journals are good and worth to read, I miss the PT With the ,,devilish symbol" i used to get my NYTimes daily there :(

----------

The only discomfort that its saturday I have to work solving Windows **** problems of braindead users and Im from 30min ride from Home & My Mac :(

----------

I used to live in London(god so expensive its ridiculously expensive) I miss bagels with coffee

viktormadarasz
Apr 6, 2013, 01:04 AM
Off Topic: Can I Play Eve Online on the Core i7 16GB 2012 Mac Mini??

ItsATrap!
Apr 6, 2013, 08:16 AM
You just said G5s are bad for multimedia.

They are. Even a Quad struggles to play 1080p and flash is hopeless.

MisterKeeks
Apr 6, 2013, 11:39 AM

You are making my 2.7 watercooled feel bad.

Nameci
Apr 7, 2013, 01:27 AM
They are. Even a Quad struggles to play 1080p and flash is hopeless.

I should throw my powermac quad out the window then?

I am pretty happy with my powermac that I don't think about moving to an MP yet.

1080p my **s, my quad plays it well.

Apr 7, 2013, 07:03 AM
I should throw my powermac quad out the window then?

I am pretty happy with my powermac that I don't think about moving to an MP yet.

1080p my **s, my quad plays it well.

Finally, someone who knows their stuff about Quads.

ItsATrap!
Apr 7, 2013, 08:31 AM

Nope, thats just their opinion.

MisterKeeks
Apr 7, 2013, 10:53 AM
Nope, thats just their opinion.

Saying 1080p plays well isn't an opinion. It's a fact.

viktormadarasz
Apr 7, 2013, 11:50 AM

Yep but the thing is Will I Get bearly the same from a dual 2ghz system? with topped up ram and all the goodies? with great graphics card flashed for Powerma G5 bla bla??

720p is enough for me , i mean if i can watch 720p from VLC smooth with no glitches

I cant have enough bitcoins for a quad sorry

GermanyChris
Apr 7, 2013, 11:57 AM
Yep but the thing is Will I Get bearly the same from a dual 2ghz system? with topped up ram and all the goodies? with great graphics card flashed for Powerma G5 bla bla??

720p is enough for me , i mean if i can watch 720p from VLC smooth with no glitches

No, the quad has a geekbench of about 3700, the 2.0DP is elieve is in the 1200 neighborhood.

Apr 7, 2013, 12:32 PM

There's a very good chance 720p will perform well as it is playable on a very good G4 depending on software, OS, format and codecs.

viktormadarasz
Apr 7, 2013, 02:08 PM
No, the quad has a geekbench of about 3700, the 2.0DP is elieve is in the 1200 neighborhood.

:( well I have to see my options then

MisterKeeks
Apr 7, 2013, 02:18 PM

More like 1600-1900 (http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1594208).

Lil Chillbil
Apr 7, 2013, 02:46 PM
:( well I have to see my options then

Heres a very good option http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/02/IMG_1958.jpg

Same price as a g5 with that display, but with more compatibility and more usefulness in software support

Themacmang4
Apr 7, 2013, 03:39 PM
I recently just purchased a Power Mac G5 7,3 Dual 2ghz for £40 and I have found that it is definatly worth it. I have upgraded the graphics card to a X800XT 256mb and it can handle most videos I throw at it.

viktormadarasz
Apr 7, 2013, 05:41 PM
I recently just purchased a Power Mac G5 7,3 Dual 2ghz for £40 and I have found that it is definatly worth it. I have upgraded the graphics card to a X800XT 256mb and it can handle most videos I throw at it.

It makes me feel way better.. I just cant see why in Scrumpymacs (uk ebay seller) the same costs with shipping about 180€

I have to use Ebay Germany or UK cause we hardly have any crap here in Spain ( I dont even mention my home country Hungary even less)

----------

Heres a very good option Image (http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/02/IMG_1958.jpg)

Same price as a g5 with that display, but with more compatibility and more usefulness in software support

I love that monitor :) and I have one of those keyboards too... Only drawback ma mini just G4 :( How do you mean the compatibility part?it goes to 10.5.8 tops too.. Dont get me wrong i have a mini myself 2012 model and I love it ( maybe even stroke it sometimes, on the top where the logo is :) )

MisterKeeks
Apr 7, 2013, 05:59 PM
I love that monitor :) and I have one of those keyboards too... Only drawback ma mini just G4 :( How do you mean the compatibility part?it goes to 10.5.8 tops too.. Dont get me wrong i have a mini myself 2012 model and I love it ( maybe even stroke it sometimes, on the top where the logo is :) )

The earlier Intel Minis had the same look as the G4s. Apple made it Unibody later, along with their other lines.

viktormadarasz
Apr 7, 2013, 06:14 PM
The earlier Intel Minis had the same look as the G4s. Apple made it Unibody later, along with their other lines.

True..Sorry my bad... You are right

----------

Mac mini core 2 duos 2009 mid 2010 come at a price range from 380 - 500€

noodle654
Apr 9, 2013, 09:31 AM
True..Sorry my bad... You are right

----------

Mac mini core 2 duos 2009 mid 2010 come at a price range from 380 - 500€

Few months back I picked up two G5s for $150 on CL...one a DP 1.8GHz and the other a DC 2.3GHz. I turned the DP into a storage server for home files, but I have been using the DC and it is still surprisingly fast. I put in an OWC 3G SSD and a 7800GT and it plays HD video (even 1080p) no problem. Youtube works fine too. If you can find a good deal near you, it is worth it.