Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dreamcast

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Henderson, Nevada
I have a problem with songs on my Ipod not playing from beginning to end. About one out of fifteen songs i import from an album skips forward to the next track. This is happening to almost every cd i encode. Ironically, all the songs play perfectly from beginning to end with playback using Itunes. Ive tried updating my ipod software, updating itunes with the latest version, checking that crossfade playback is not activated, checked that im using a perfect cd brand new, and 8 month old powerbook too, but to no avail. Will take any advice, thanks..

ps. im using an external hard drive 400gb with over 30,000 songs and firewire 800 cable.

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
dreamcast said:
I have a problem with songs on my Ipod not playing from beginning to end. About one out of fifteen songs i import from an album skips forward to the next track. This is happening to almost every cd i encode. Ironically, all the songs play perfectly from beginning to end with playback using Itunes. Ive tried updating my ipod software, updating itunes with the latest version, checking that crossfade playback is not activated, checked that im using a perfect cd brand new, and 8 month old powerbook too, but to no avail. Will take any advice, thanks..

ps. im using an external hard drive 400gb with over 30,000 songs and firewire 800 cable.
Is it specific songs that the ipod coughs on or is it just that on average, one out of every 15 songs gets cut short? If its not specific songs that make the ipod skip, it could be some kind of short in the ipod.
My ipod will occasionally skip forward a track randomly, but only like once ever 75 songs.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
try restoring the iPod, it will erase it and reinstall the software on it rather than just update it, thats all i have got right now.

dreamcast

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Henderson, Nevada
It is on specific songs, but random as far as importing from a brand new cd. I have to actually listen to the whole album to find out what song will be skipped forward on my ipod. What i don't understand is how can that same exact song play perfectly on Itunes. I even tried importing the song that skips on my ipod to a brand new ipod nano at the genius bar, but the nano still skips forward on the problem song. It would seem that the song is corrupt, but how can this be on every cd i import that one song is corrupting, and also why would the same said song play perfectly on Itunes. Ill keep searching for a fix..

dreamcast

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Henderson, Nevada
PlaceofDis said:
try restoring the iPod, it will erase it and reinstall the software on it rather than just update it, thats all i have got right now.

Oh thanks, i've tried that solution of erasing and installing as well, and i did it twice for good measure, but same problem persists unfortunately.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
edit: just to be clear, the same song will play fine in iTunes, but from your computer to any ipod you transfer to, it a certain song will skip?

dreamcast

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Henderson, Nevada
PlaceofDis said:
edit: just to be clear, the same song will play fine in iTunes, but from your computer to any ipod you transfer to, it a certain song will skip?

Yes, the song will play perfectly on itunes, but any ipod i transfer it to will skip at the same intervel in the song. Happens on almost every cd i import but i don't know which one until i listen to whole album on an ipod.

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
okay, try uninstalling and reinstalling itunes then reimporting an album. If that doesn't work, try using different software to import a CD.
Here's one i found on macupdate: http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/11031
Then bring the songs into itunes and update your ipod and see if it still skips.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
reinstalling itunes is an option, i would say delete your library and preferences files as well, means you will lose your ratings too, but there could be a corrupt file there too

jl8472

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2007
I have a PC running Windows XP. I had that same problem on some of my favorite songs. It would play perfect in iTunes and then skip on my iPod. For example, a 5 min song would play for 2 minutes and then freeze before going to the end of the song.
I fixed it by (and I have no idea what step was the clincher), deleting the song from iTunes, syncing my iPod to remove song, deleting the song from my hard drive, re-ripping the song to my hard drive, adding the song to my iTunes library again, going into setting and checking boxes telling song to play from 0:00:00 until end of song, and then re-syncing my iPod.
After that it played perfect. If there is a real fix out that I missed, let me know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.