PDA

View Full Version : New 15" Powerbook 1.67GHz not supporting DFS (speed stepping)?

Sooper
Oct 22, 2005, 06:52 PM
In the energy control panel on my brand new 15" powerbook HD, there is not an option for "Processor Performance" like on my 12" 1.33 iBook.

Perhaps the new 15" Powerbook has a 7447, and not a 7447A G4? Seems absurd.

I also tried to load FastAndSlow, and it stated my machine did not support DFS (Dynamic Frequency Shifting)!

Is there anyway I can tell for sure, short of opening up the case. I tried to load CPU Director, but it complained that 'Kext' could not be loaded.

Thanks.

Bear
Oct 22, 2005, 07:08 PM
Answered in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=156546) earlier today.

Sooper
Oct 23, 2005, 04:03 PM
CHUD tools is reporting 7447A; so DFS is definately supported in HW and it looks like the user option has been removed in favor of something entirely automatic.

The battery life on my new 15" PB is far below that of my 12" 1.33 iBook; that's what led me to the conspiracy theory that the PBs went to 7447 chips.

I was also hoping the chips were actually dual core, and I just had to put in the correct unlocking code to activate the other core. Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, B, A, Start was not the correct sequence... ;)

chucknorris
Oct 23, 2005, 04:42 PM
I was also hoping the chips were actually dual core, and I just had to put in the correct unlocking code to activate the other core. Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, B, A, Start was not the correct sequence... ;)

I don't think you put the code in quickly enough! Please try again. :p

nospleen
Oct 23, 2005, 05:05 PM
CHUD tools is reporting 7447A; so DFS is definately supported in HW and it looks like the user option has been removed in favor of something entirely automatic.

The battery life on my new 15" PB is far below that of my 12" 1.33 iBook; that's what led me to the conspiracy theory that the PBs went to 7447 chips.

At least now you have unlimited lives in Contra.
;)

fklehman
Oct 23, 2005, 05:23 PM
Yarghhh. I wonder what the implications for gaming are. So if I play WoW for 15 minutes and the computer heats up, the processor is going to slit its own throat as per DFS and I have no way to stop it? Anyone know a way to at least monitor what is happening with DFS, and see what factors cut the speed in half (a certain temperature, etc.)?

Demon Hunter
Oct 23, 2005, 06:08 PM
So the DFS is basically behind-the-scenes? Ridiculous.

First the iBooks get more RAM than the 12" PowerBook, and now this.

Punani
Oct 25, 2005, 03:10 AM
Oops (again).