PDA

View Full Version : Should I return it and get the 8GB RAM?

howareyoukk
Apr 5, 2013, 02:47 AM
i got a macbook air 13 inch 2012 with i5 processor, 4gb ram and 256 ssd...i am happy with the processor since it doesn't generate much heat ..however, i heard lots of people saying that macbook air is better with 8gb as it runs smoother.. I don't often turn off my laptop and like to open lots of taps(safari, pdf and iMessage and other stuff)...my swap stands on 4.86gb......and the page outs is 3.46 gb and the page ins is14.48!!..BUT, i don't feel like my laptop is slowing down , it still performs well..so do you think i should return it and get the 8gb based on my usage ??

P.S i got my licensed microsoft office installed and i might lose it if i get a new laptop...

Mrbobb
Apr 5, 2013, 02:55 AM
page outs is 3.46 gb

That number says more ram is beneficial.

However, more ram just encourages you to leave more stuff open, whether you need them or not.

Up to you.

LiveinRiot
Apr 5, 2013, 03:22 AM
I think is better put 8gb. :D

Brian Y
Apr 5, 2013, 03:49 AM
i got a macbook air 13 inch 2012 with i5 processor, 4gb ram and 256 ssd...i am happy with the processor since it doesn't generate much heat ..however, i heard lots of people saying that macbook air is better with 8gb as it runs smoother.. I don't often turn off my laptop and like to open lots of taps(safari, pdf and iMessage and other stuff)...my swap stands on 4.86gb......and the page outs is 3.46 gb and the page ins is14.48!!..BUT, i don't feel like my laptop is slowing down , it still performs well..so do you think i should return it and get the 8gb based on my usage ??

P.S i got my licensed microsoft office installed and i might lose it if i get a new laptop...

If you can't re-activate Office on the new Machine call Microsoft and they'll activate it for you.

And if you have 4GB of Page Outs, you're going to need more RAM (don't worry about page ins, its the outs you want to worry about).

warriorz
Apr 6, 2013, 01:58 PM
If the laptop is performing well according to your needs then leave it. If you prefer to future proof it, or believe your RAM needs will increase during the course of your ownership get the 8GB. (It will probably run smoother if you do like to leave apps open),

blesscheese
Apr 6, 2013, 02:40 PM
I think there is a big difference between "needing" and "nice-to-have."

If all you are doing is web surfing, messaging, and PDF's, then all you really need is 4GB. If you handle large files that get put into RAM (like photos, movies, scientific software, etc.) then you would need 8GB. For your needs, it sounds like 8GB would be "nice to have," but not "necessary."

BTW, Safari is the biggest memory hog I have seen. Try other browsers, or quit Safari occasionally.

But, if you aren't seeing any spinning beachballs, then you are ok.

jmoore5196
Apr 6, 2013, 04:13 PM
The only time I've been thankful for the 8GB in my 11" MBA was when it was running CS6 apps under load. I think the answer to your query - as stated earlier in this thread - is your intended usage.

If you're slinging the MBA along to do web browsing and email responses, then I wouldn't worry about upgrading. In my view, the 256GB SSD is a much more worthy upgrade than the RAM.

If, on the other hand, you plan on any strenuous creative activity with the MBA, then at some point, you'll be glad you got the RAM upgrade.

stchman
Apr 8, 2013, 01:14 PM
My vote is YES. I also vote for getting the i7 processor. The i7 processor has shown to give ~15% better performance in applications over the i5. The upgrade is only $100 more.

LeeM
Apr 8, 2013, 04:35 PM
id have 8 purely because you cant upgrade in future and it may be an issue later on, seeing as a lot of us typically keep our macs for 3+ years

racer1441
Apr 8, 2013, 07:04 PM
How long do you plan on keeping the machine?

Saturn007
Apr 9, 2013, 10:37 AM
It's only $90-100 more for the 8gb. It's a no-brainer. At least, if you can confirm with Microsoft that you can reinstall Office on the replacement. Otherwise, that's another expense.

Perhaps a friend will buy the 4gb off you.

But, really, for only $100 more you can't go wrong future-proofing the laptop and having it be speedier in the meantime!

JHUFrank
Apr 11, 2013, 11:45 AM
Yup, that $100 bucks is well worth it. I would do it.