Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.Russ.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hello all.

I have a new 2012 Mac Mini 2.6ghz just been delivered sitting on my desk. It has a factory fitted 256gb SSD inside I intend using as my OSX/boot drive. I am looking for a decent external drive option purely for audio recording/sample use within my DAW.

I have a small project studio and my Mac Mini will be literally next to me - I don't want to go for a noisy (but fast) HDD option like the velociraptor as it will drive me crazy.

I took the plunge and I bought a FirmTek MiniSwap U3. My original thinking was to get a Samsung 840 Pro SSD and shove it in the MiniSwap to connect to my Mini via USB3 and happy days. However here lies my predicament, I didn't realize that I cannot enable TRIM externally via USB3.

So here are my two questions:

1. Would NOT enabling TRIM on the 840 Pro be such a big deal?
2. Does anyone have an alternative HDD option that would be great for audio/DAW use? (needs to be very quiet with a fast access time).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

sunny!

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2013
So here are my two questions:

1. Would NOT enabling TRIM on the 840 Pro be such a big deal?
2. Does anyone have an alternative HDD option that would be great for audio/DAW use? (needs to be very quiet with a fast access time).

Hi,
The Samsung 840 Pro provides great garbage collection on it's own, enabling Trim is not required. You can also use a HDD with the miniSwap/U3. It just won't be as fast.

No need to over think the situation - just try it, you'll like it :)

.Russ.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Cheers guys.

I wasn't too sure how critical TRIM would be - in relation to using the 840 for audio recording (frequent read/writes). I wasn't keen on buying something which won't last too long before issues begin.

Would you say the 840 pro is the best way to go for an external SSD?

(For example the basic 840 retails about £40 cheaper)

sunny!

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2013
Cheers guys.

Would you say the 840 pro is the best way to go for an external SSD?

(For example the basic 840 retails about £40 cheaper)

The Samsung 840 Pro 256G and 512G SSD models are significantly faster than the 840 models and include a 5 year warranty. Its worth the extra money.

"One of the top performing SSDs we have ever seen"–The SSD Review
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III 540 MB/s
Sustained Sequential Write: 520 MB/s
4KB Random Read: Up to 100,000 IOPS
4KB Random Write: Up to 90,000 IOPS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.