PDA

View Full Version : Rotate TM backups vs archive Time Capsule

JonasCalhoun
Apr 5, 2013, 11:25 AM
Hello, I've been pretty religiously archiving my Time Capsule to an attached USB every week, but with Time Machine's new ability to use multiple drives I wonder if there is no point.

Have there been any best practices published or at least a pro vs cons to either scheme?

It takes a couple days to fully archive my TC (several terabytes), during which time I can't backup. With going between the two drives it seems to me I'd avoid that. But will the sparse bundles be out of sync? In other words, if I need to retrieve a document, will I have to check both of the disks to find the latest? Or will TM keep both in sync?

I'm pretty paranoid about my backups, I have everything for my business on them and can't afford to lose the data--I get nervous about the 2 days my TC is archiving. (And before someone asks, yes I do rotation and offsite storage).

Thanks,
Dan

Weaselboy
Apr 5, 2013, 12:00 PM
I would just use the new TM multiple backups option. TM keeps them perfectly in sync. Assuming they have both been updated, the data on each will be the same.