PDA

View Full Version : How to turn off single click to open folders/files

Trifle James
Apr 5, 2013, 05:06 PM
Hi there,

I'm new to all this so sorry if I'm doing anything wrong.

On my Mac Pro (10.8.2) using my magic mouse, when I double click a folder it opens as you would expect. That's all fine, but after this, it only takes a single click to open the folders or files. This is extremely annoying as I will double click to open a folder, then double click again to find I have accidentally opened a folder and then a file within it which wastes time.

Is there a way I can turn this feature off?

Thanks in advance.

Thrash911
Apr 6, 2013, 04:47 AM
Um.. Is it even possible to configure OS X to open files and folders with single click? I can't figure out how to do it.. :confused:

Try playing around with the mouse settings, especially the Double-Click Speed (System Preferences -> Mouse). See if that changes anything. Could it be possible, that your mouse is defective? Maybe try with another mouse?

Other than that, I'm out.. Maybe someone else can weigh in?

I hope you solve it, because OS X is a delight to use! :)

Trifle James
Apr 6, 2013, 08:25 AM
Um.. Is it even possible to configure OS X to open files and folders with single click? I can't figure out how to do it.. :confused:

Try playing around with the mouse settings, especially the Double-Click Speed (System Preferences -> Mouse). See if that changes anything. Could it be possible, that your mouse is defective? Maybe try with another mouse?

Thanks for the reply!

You're right, I didn't even know that you could configure OS X to do that. It's really weird! I've discovered something else as well, this weird thing only happens if I keep the mouse still. For example, if I double click on a folder to open it and the mouse is already hovering over the new folder I wish to open, it only takes a single click to open the folder as I haven't moved the mouse. Moving the mouse to a different folder means I have to double click.

You can see why it's so confusing for me!

I didn't have any joy with the mouse settings and don't have another mouse. But thanks for these suggestions and I agree OS X is great :)

Trifle James
Apr 6, 2013, 03:48 PM

By the way, I've just tested this out on my laptop (which has a trackpad not a magic mouse) and have exactly the same issue. So it's definitely something within the OS.